Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2008, 09:31 AM

11 posts, read 63,439 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are going to be moving to the college park area due to his work (I am a stay at home mom). We have a young daughter, so safety/education is very important to us. I have no idea what areas to look, as I know nothing about Maryland (other than the show The Wire...) We would preferably like a single family home, a nice neighborhood, but I understand it is very expensive living up there - (we can spend up to the mid $300s) and my husband doesn't want to travel TOO far (I also understand traffic is REALLY bad)... Any info would help me greatly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 09:40 AM

74 posts, read 421,630 times
Maybe try Burtonsville or the Ellicott City areas. There are lots of U-Md grad students, faculty, and staff that live in those areas, I think. The commute to College Park is do-able from there. The traffic here can be insane, but if you avoid the Beltway and I-95, it should be manageable.

Mind you, I have no idea what the schools are like there. I would suggest staying west of the campus, though. Look in Montgomery County. It's generally considered safer and generally has better schools than Prince George's County, which is where the university is located (right on the border).

Old 02-12-2008, 09:48 AM

Thanks! I've read (good things) about Montgomery County and have heard to kind of avoid Prince George's County to live in. Thanks again!

Old 02-12-2008, 02:56 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Parts of Montgomery, especially the parts closer to UMd., are no better than PG county. For the price you say you want there are homes right in College Park for thaqt amount. That doesn't mean College Park is right for you though.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:03 PM

135 posts, read 606,027 times
Default Your lucky day!

Here's the scoop, go to this website:
20783 Foreclosures on Yahoo! Real Estate: 1-10 of 105 listings

Also plug in these zip codes: 20740 and 20770

Go to these websites:
MRIS Statistics
HousingTracker.net: REO Inventory for Washington, DC

Check out how the sales were 2 years ago and how they are now. You will see that nothing is selling. You are the one eyed king in the land of the blind!
If you want detailed answers after looking over these sites shoot me PM and I'll give you specifics. Don't buy any of the BS real estate people tell you!

Old 02-13-2008, 11:23 AM

692 posts, read 1,732,238 times
Take a look at University Park in Prince George's County.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:34 AM

Thanks everyone for your advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland