Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2016, 03:37 PM

184 posts, read 235,171 times

Advertisements

Now we all know Southeast Baltimore has the highest concentration of Puerto Ricans in the state. But I'm looking into the DC area, specifically Prince Georges, Montgomery, Howard and Anne Arundel counties. What areas in these counties have notable numbers of Puerto Ricans and Dominicans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 06:52 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,806,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLoFan View Post
Now we all know Southeast Baltimore has the highest concentration of Puerto Ricans in the state. But I'm looking into the DC area, specifically Prince Georges, Montgomery, Howard and Anne Arundel counties. What areas in these counties have notable numbers of Puerto Ricans and Dominicans?
well I’m part dominican and have a boricua mami so i can tell u not a lot here. but mostly salvadorians and latinos. i mean they hidden around most of the folks here from everywhere but i doubt theres a lot here i know some. but not anne arundel. southern bmore has a population of them lol..
btw a post like this was asked before…

Old 05-04-2016, 10:58 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLoFan View Post

Lower/ Inner Beltway Montgomery County scattered throughout you find some Dominicans, even a salon or tiny restaurant here or there. As stated the vast majority typically are Salvadorians or Central America.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:25 AM

184 posts, read 235,171 times
Well I see I had to search this up myself, for those wondering.

Prince Georges and Montgomery counties have the largest populations of both Puerto Ricans and Dominicans in Maryland (both counties have about 10,000 PRs each and 3-4,000 DRs), even more then Baltimore, however here in PG and Montgomery they are heavily overshadowed by a much larger Salvadoran/Central American population and the overall diversity. In both counties, PRs are about 10% of the Hispanic population and less then 1% of the total population. They are very scattered, especially among blacks.

In Howard and Anne Arundel counties, the raw numbers is smaller, but they make up higher percentages. Similar to the rest of Maryland ( outside of PG and Montgomery), in Howard and Anne Arundel, Puerto Ricans usually make up 20-30% of the Hispanic population and 1-3% of the total population. Here they are also scattered and integrated.

In Maryland, its really only in the SE Baltimore area that Puerto Ricans and Dominicans be found in moderately high concentrations, living among other Hispanics. Compared to groups like Salvadorans, Mexicans and Guatemalans who can be seen in SE Baltimore, but have possibly higher concentrations in the DC area. Ricans and Dominicans are really scattered in the DC area.

Source:

http:// http://factfinder.census.gov...html?refresh=t

Old 09-28-2016, 08:25 PM

117 posts, read 234,307 times
Not that many Puerto Ricans or Dominicans around. I'm born and raised in DC area and am half PR and half Salvadorian. Like mentioned above, there are more Salvadorians than anything else. 50% or more of the DMV Latinos are from El Salvador. Its hard to find any restaurants that have arroz con gandules or Mofongo. All of the Caribbean restaurants in the area really just sell Jamaican food... as if Jamaica is the only country in the Caribbean. When I was a kid in the 90's I remember lots of Dominicans living in Silver Spring area of Flower Ave near Manna restaurant. but seems that they have mostly moved away.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:38 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,806,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropping_k View Post
Not that many Puerto Ricans or Dominicans around. I'm born and raised in DC area and am half PR and half Salvadorian. Like mentioned above, there are more Salvadorians than anything else. 50% or more of the DMV Latinos are from El Salvador. Its hard to find any restaurants that have arroz con gandules or Mofongo. All of the Caribbean restaurants in the area really just sell Jamaican food... as if Jamaica is the only country in the Caribbean. When I was a kid in the 90's I remember lots of Dominicans living in Silver Spring area of Flower Ave near Manna restaurant. but seems that they have mostly moved away.
ikr its all el salvador here. The boricuas not really here tho even down in long branch mostly salvaorenos and latinoamericans .. nacos too… the boricuas prefer NY, miami, jersey, PR and midwest.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:04 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,100,184 times
Quote:
All of the Caribbean restaurants in the area really just sell Jamaican food... as if Jamaica is the only country in the Caribbean.
If its Jamaicans opening the restaurants, what should they sell besides Jamaican food?
There are a couple of Cuban spots and there are Trini restaurants on Georgia Ave and PG County but I really cant recall seeing any DR or PR place around...although for some reason I think there should be one in Adams Morgan and Hyattsville/ Langley Park

Old 10-06-2016, 02:43 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times
Manna restaurant in Takoma Park is good Dominican food, from there website looks like there is one in Gaithersburg too:

Manna Restaurant - Authentic Dominican Cuisine

Old 10-06-2016, 09:25 PM

117 posts, read 234,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
If its Jamaicans opening the restaurants, what should they sell besides Jamaican food?
There are a couple of Cuban spots and there are Trini restaurants on Georgia Ave and PG County but I really cant recall seeing any DR or PR place around...although for some reason I think there should be one in Adams Morgan and Hyattsville/ Langley Park
I think you misunderstood me... My gripe is with restaurants that claim to sell "Caribbean Food", but the only food they serve is only Jamaican. I don't have issues with restaurants that properly that identify themselves as Jamaican food. Just seems misleading when an restaurant advertises Caribbean food, but its only Jamaican. I would expect to find Haitian, Dominican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, and Jamaican entrées at a Caribbean restaurant.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:53 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,100,184 times
Quote:
I think you misunderstood me... My gripe is with restaurants that claim to sell "Caribbean Food", but the only food they serve is only Jamaican. I don't have issues with restaurants that properly that identify themselves as Jamaican food. Just seems misleading when an restaurant advertises Caribbean food, but its only Jamaican. I would expect to find Haitian, Dominican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, and Jamaican entrées at a Caribbean restaurant.
You have a point...now that I think about it, I don't think such a restaurant exists...the cuisine changes so much from English Caribbean to the French and Spanish Caribbean... Trinidad and Guyana are a whole different cuisine on to themselves...then there is the Dutch Caribbean...I think a restaurant like that would ultimately be mediocre...too big of a menu
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland