Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2017, 01:15 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,566,864 times

Advertisements

This is pretty interesting. Though I'm not sure how much impact a $500,000 grant would be. Sounds very exciting nevertheless.

Quote:
COLLEGE PARK, Md.—From catching Pokémon in the real world to donning a virtual reality headset to see and feel what it was like to scale the Berlin Wall before its fall, advancements in immersive media have set the stage for the next digital revolution. The University of Maryland will lead this revolution with the launch of the Mixed/Augmented/Virtual Reality Innovation Center, called MAVRIC, which has been awarded a $500,000 grant from the U.S. Department of Commerce Economic Development Administration (EDA).

“We are already leaders in this dynamic, growing field, and the project promises to make our entire region a national hot spot for immersive media development,” said University of Maryland President Wallace D. Loh. “It will become an economic and technological boon to Maryland, Virginia, and Washington, D.C.”

https://www.umdrightnow.umd.edu/news...tion-ecosystem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 12:52 PM

Sounds like its a big deal. It would be nice to know if it is research related or real estate development related.

Quote:
COLLEGE PARK, Md. -- The University of Maryland will announce a transformative investment in the university on October 4. In a first of its kind announcement, university and government officials will unveil the investment in a celebration event for the campus community.

WHO:

Larry Hogan, Governor, State of Maryland
Wallace Loh, President, University of Maryland
Michael Busch, Speaker, Maryland House of Delegates
Robert Caret, Chancellor, University System of Maryland
University of Maryland students, faculty and staff

WHEN:

October 4, 2017, 10:30 a.m.
Media with video or still cameras should arrive for check-in and be set up by 9 a.m.
All additional media should arrive prior to the event start time.
https://www.umdrightnow.umd.edu/news...vestment-oct-4

Old 09-29-2017, 01:33 PM

Oh boy. Here we go. These edge campus "town centers" are cursed. There's always something throwing a wrench into the plans.

Quote:
The Bozzuto Development Company will not be able to proceed with the planned redevelopment of the College Park Quality Inn site unless it's able to cover a gap in its financial projections.

The company is requesting a combined $10.5 million from Prince George's County and College Park to allow the project to continue.

The Quality Inn is slated to close at the end of the month.
Redevelopment on the site of Quality Inn won’t move forward without city and county help - The Diamondback

Old 09-29-2017, 03:32 PM

282 posts, read 322,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Sounds like its a big deal. It would be nice to know if it is research related or real estate development related.

https://www.umdrightnow.umd.edu/news...vestment-oct-4
Sounds interesting- "first of its kind". That could mean anything though. Hopefully this isn't a big letdown - needs to fundamentally change the area with that press release language.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:46 AM

662 posts, read 783,043 times
Quote:
Oh boy. Here we go. These edge campus "town centers" are cursed. There's always something throwing a wrench into the plans.

Redevelopment on the site of Quality Inn won’t move forward without city and county help - The Diamondback
What's the wrench? These companies always want municipal and state support to cut their risk. I'm looking forward to this bc this means residents might have more of a say of what goes there.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingbutnotlost View Post
What's the wrench? These companies always want municipal and state support to cut their risk. I'm looking forward to this bc this means residents might have more of a say of what goes there.
Well, I'm shell-shocked from the East-Campus development which I watched for more than ten years and I think 3 developers come and go. Seeing pretty renderings only to have some glitch or issue completely kill the project.

After seeing another project with glitzy renderings, it's like it is happening all over again when now we hear about funding issues. It seems like RT. 1 is just plagued with issues concerning projects in town-center form. Even though Riverdale Park didn't have funding issues, they had legal issues that held it up.

I'm aware that they always seek municipal funds for a project, but at this late in the game after approvals, it's kind of after the fact. Somebody made an accounting error. Not sure who, but we'll probably watch this play out with developers against the county and city. I hope they can work it out quickly.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingbutnotlost View Post
Here is a nice timeline of posts from Rethink Collge Park on the many reboots fo East Campus over a decade starting in 2006.

(Click "Next Entries" to move forward in time. Oldest posts start at the bottom)

East Campus :: Rethink College Park

Old 09-30-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyRoma View Post
Sounds interesting- "first of its kind". That could mean anything though. Hopefully this isn't a big letdown - needs to fundamentally change the area with that press release language.
Well, at least we know it has nothing to do with City of College Park because none of the city officials are on the list and the press conference isn't at a location off campus. No county officials are present either. So, it may not be real estate development related.

My bet is another academic research building from a large corporate or private donor or a research partnership with a corporation.

THat Phillips Collection partnership is still out there. THey haven't announced a building yet for it. Maybe that's it. But is that transformative?

Old 10-03-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:

Not only is the Quality Inn closed, it is fenced off. I just drove by there this afternoon. I thought they would close for customers and take a few months to clean everything out. But the property is fenced off.

Anyone know when clearing will start? I really hope they can start construction next year.

PS. The internet doesn't know that this hotel is closed. Even its own website is still up. A few websites like yelp list it as open. Odd that they would take reservations up until the day it closed.

Last edited by adelphi_sky; 10-03-2017 at 01:29 PM..

Old 10-03-2017, 06:45 PM

662 posts, read 783,043 times
Quote:
Here is a nice timeline of posts from Rethink Collge Park on the many reboots fo East Campus over a decade starting in 2006.

(Click "Next Entries" to move forward in time. Oldest posts start at the bottom)

East Campus :: Rethink College Park

Oh I see. I understand your apprehension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland