Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2022, 09:46 PM

662 posts, read 784,200 times

Advertisements

That ChickFilA thing should be in the Discovery District. Why is it on Route 1?

There must be a reason companies donot put sit down restaurants in this town!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2022, 10:16 PM

340 posts, read 377,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Taqueria Habanero will be their main competitor. Perhaps this will get Taqueria Habanero to deliver as Bandit is on all delivery services.

I love Taqueria Habanero but they are in the wort possible spot for parking. And they don't deliver. So, I get my tacos from the mom and pop shops which are pretty good.

I may actually drive to TH to get some tacos this evening. But I wish they would deliver. Bandit will definitely grab some market share.

As fas as retailers not reading the room? I guess they feel they have a superior product and that they can steal market share from existing restaurants. District Taco is horrible. We went their twice and their tacos are pretty nasty. So, perhaps Bandit can siphon off those customers and cause District Taco to close their doors.

Who knows?
Along route 1, Tacos A La Madre, Taqueria Los Perez, and Little Miner Tacos are all better than Taqueria Habenero imo. Taco competition in the area is very thick.

Old 07-20-2022, 04:25 AM

220 posts, read 184,628 times
College Park transformation, before and after pictures. https://today.umd.edu/how-we-picture-greatness

They have a sidebar of new housing projects. I knew of 3 apartment complexes opening this fall: Aster, The Nine, and Tempo. But what is Parkside, it says 255 student beds for Fall of 2022. I google Parkside and it has hundreds of Google reviews already, so how is it new?

Old 07-20-2022, 06:58 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,578,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughLow805 View Post
Along route 1, Tacos A La Madre, Taqueria Los Perez, and Little Miner Tacos are all better than Taqueria Habenero imo. Taco competition in the area is very thick.
Two words, Tacos Yucatecos

3 grilled shrimp tacos, topped with fondue cheese, pico de gallo & poblano peppers

If the restaurants you listed can beat or match that taco, I will certainly visit those other restaurants. But Yucatecos is just about the best tasting shrimp taco I've ever had. The salmon taco isn't bad either.

Old 07-20-2022, 07:18 AM

340 posts, read 377,455 times
Quote:
Two words, Tacos Yucatecos

3 grilled shrimp tacos, topped with fondue cheese, pico de gallo & poblano peppers

If the restaurants you listed can beat or match that taco, I will certainly visit those other restaurants. But Yucatecos is just about the best tasting shrimp taco I've ever had. The salmon taco isn't bad either.
I'll have to try it sometime

Old 07-20-2022, 01:30 PM

206 posts, read 210,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terp80 View Post
College Park transformation, before and after pictures. https://today.umd.edu/how-we-picture-greatness

They have a sidebar of new housing projects. I knew of 3 apartment complexes opening this fall: Aster, The Nine, and Tempo. But what is Parkside, it says 255 student beds for Fall of 2022. I google Parkside and it has hundreds of Google reviews already, so how is it new?

A company called CORE from Chicago bought about 95% of the condo units in 2021 and spent about $6+ million in building renovations. So essentially the building is now being centrally managed by a company rather than over a 100 different property owners. The building, built in the 1980s, was purchased and renovated about 15 years ago and sold off as condo units. CORE offered owners about 10% over recent sales prices, which had been in the mid to high $190,000, and found a lot of willing sellers.

CORE also has under construction the middle project (the HUB) of the three student housing projects under construction on Knox Road.

So it is not really a new development but an updated building that should be able to charge higher rents, which may not be a good thing, overall.

Last edited by Catcprtc; 07-20-2022 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: added information

Old 07-20-2022, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcprtc View Post
A company called CORE from Chicago bought about 95% of the condo units in 2021 and spent about $6+ million in building renovations. So essentially the building is now being centrally managed by a company rather than over a 100 different property owners. The building, built in the 1980s, was purchased and renovated about 15 years ago and sold off as condo units. CORE offered owners about 10% over recent sales prices, which had been in the mid to high $190,000, and found a lot of willing sellers.

CORE also has under construction the middle project of the three student housing projects under construction on Knox Road.

So it is not really a new development but an updated building that should be able to charge higher rents, which may not be a good thing, overall.

Great.

Thanks for the explanation though! Wonder why UMD is promoting that as new housing, it doesn't fit with all the other examples in the article, which is all new builds. Renovated is not new.

Old 07-22-2022, 02:35 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,578,183 times
Any word on that wine and coffee bar next to the laundry mat? I noticed a backhoe and a lot of concrete pipes that are being stored over there. Are those for the Knox road developments?

TBH if the owners of that property can't get their development going shouldn't they just sell it to someone who can and cut their losses? Or is this a county delay thing again?

Now 7 years since it was announced.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...919_story.html

Last edited by adelphi_sky; 07-22-2022 at 03:10 PM..

Old 07-23-2022, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Any word on that wine and coffee bar next to the laundry mat? I noticed a backhoe and a lot of concrete pipes that are being stored over there. Are those for the Knox road developments?

TBH if the owners of that property can't get their development going shouldn't they just sell it to someone who can and cut their losses? Or is this a county delay thing again?

Wow, its been so long I can only imagine if they sold it some big chain would come in. These people seemed like the perfect group to run a successful local business, because they live in College Park and ran Plato's Diner. Unfortunate if this didn't work out for the coffee shop.

Other thing I don't get why we don't have is a university bookstore. The University should buy some building and even if it is not profitable, I feel every college town has a primary store right off campus where you can buy all sorts of school clothes, accessories, home goods, and so forth.

Old 07-23-2022, 02:21 PM

123 posts, read 76,403 times
Quote:

I saw in some local politician's blog that the plans for the bar were abandoned and that a mixed-used building with two stories for housing was now being considered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland