Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 10:20 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times

Advertisements

In Fairwood, dreams of black wealth foundered amid the mortgage meltdown | The Washington Post

Article about Fairwood, a neighborhood which was hit hard by the housing crisis and is now going through a bit of a reverse demographic change. I'm wondering what is going on? Why are upper middle class black neighborhoods always affected un-proportionately hard by foreclosures. Majority white or mixed neighborhoods with the same income level don't get hit as hard. Most of the people I knew who currently live or have lived in Fairwood where well to do and college educated, with decent jobs.

Edit: Should also add, Fairwood is still fighting to get an Elementary school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 03:40 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
In Fairwood, dreams of black wealth foundered amid the mortgage meltdown | The Washington Post

Article about Fairwood, a neighborhood which was hit hard by the housing crisis and is now going through a bit of a reverse demographic change. I'm wondering what is going on? Why are upper middle class black neighborhoods always affected un-proportionately hard by foreclosures. Majority white or mixed neighborhoods with the same income level don't get hit as hard. Most of the people I knew who currently live or have lived in Fairwood where well to do and college educated, with decent jobs.

Hmmmm. It's been a while since WaPo published their requisite annual, "We Are Still Amazed At How Centuries of Institutional Segregation and Discrimination Can Affect Wealthy African Americans Prince George's County Today" article.

Sacramento becomes latest city to allege mortgage discrimination by Wells Fargo

Old 03-07-2018, 08:03 AM

22 posts, read 21,171 times
Not sure if I can post hyperlinks yet, but it partially comes down to a disparity in accumulated wealth, rather than incomes: https://www.americanprogress.org/iss...ic-inequality/

Quote:
In 2016, the median wealth for black and Hispanic families was $17,600 and $20,700, respectively, compared with white families’ median wealth of $171,000.
A large part of that disparity comes from home equity, which means that black families could be more likely to see their mortgages go under water when housing prices fall.

As for the root causes, see adelphi_sky's post above.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Hmmmm. It's been a while since WaPo published their requisite annual, "We Are Still Amazed At How Centuries of Institutional Segregation and Discrimination Can Affect Wealthy African Americans Prince George's County Today" article.

Sacramento becomes latest city to allege mortgage discrimination by Wells Fargo
I am honestly amazed by it though. Institutional racism started dying in the 1960's. I know racism isn't dead, but I genuinely don't get this.

Last edited by Turnerbro; 03-07-2018 at 09:07 AM..

Old 03-07-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I am honestly amazed by it though. Institutional racism started dying in the 1960's. I know racism isn't dead, but I genuinely don't get this.
Then you have a lot of reading to do. And if institutional racism started dying in the 1960s, it's dying a long slow death.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Then you have a lot of reading to do. And if institutional racism started dying in the 1960s, it's dying a long slow death.
That article about Sacramento seems to be focusing on poor areas. Why and more importantly how could banks force foreclosures and upper middle class majority black neighborhoods? If people are paying their bills what's the problem. Also let me just say I am bi-racial, black and white and grew up in Largo around the time it was transitioning. Sometimes I feel a little overwhelmed by all the race baiting that's going on today.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
That article about Sacramento seems to be focusing on poor areas. Why and more importantly how could banks force foreclosures and upper middle class majority black neighborhoods? If people are paying their bills what's the problem. Also let me just say I am bi-racial, black and white and grew up in Largo around the time it was transitioning. Sometimes I feel a little overwhelmed by all the race baiting that's going on today.
Racial discrimination crosses all financial demographics. If it is happening to the poor it is happening to the wealthy. ANd it impacts the wealthy the hardest because they have more to lose.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Racial discrimination crosses all financial demographics. If it is happening to the poor it is happening to the wealthy. ANd it impacts the wealthy the hardest because they have more to lose.
I guess I just have a major problem with assuming racism. But I also have a problem with someone assuming the worst out of someone because of their race.

Old 03-07-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I guess I just have a major problem with assuming racism. But I also have a problem with someone assuming the worst out of someone because of their race.
Racism has always been the nasty undercurrent in this county. You won't notice it if you're not looking for it or a victim of it. It requires a certain "awareness." What the young people now call being "Woke."

Old 03-07-2018, 02:38 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:

If they are well to do and college educated, then one would think they understand how vital it is to make that monthly mortgage payment.

Failing to do so generally results in foreclosure.

The mortgage meltdown revealed that numerous Americans had taken leave of their senses in the name of home ownership. I was unaware there was much racial disparity in said foreclosures. One can find numerous examples of all kinds of people buying houses they could not afford. Kind of an old story at this point.

Lobbing accusations of racism when in reality people have simply behaved foolishly is sophomoric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
View detailed profiles of: