Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 06:51 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
............which are who exactly ? First they must be identified.
Oh. Anytime I do that people insist they aren't. Someone could be wearing a Klan outfit reading mein kempf and they would be shooketh at the suggestion they might be racist. And they would have an army of defenders here and elsewhere

Nothing is racist anymore, and nobody is racist, or also that racism is here to stay and there's nothing I can do about it. Whatever the situation is the answer is to shut up because people are uncomfortable. How boring
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 06:04 PM

6,998 posts, read 11,293,992 times
News from the real world:

I am interested in your opinion on this because it goes to the heart of some of the more debated points here. I know a teacher. One of her students had lice. No big deal, the parents caught it first, kept her home, and took care of the problem. When the child returned to school, she and her brother were discretely taken up to the office (and it was discreet, there is no objection on this point as those kids and many other are pulled for services of one kind or another daily) where the nurse checked and confirmed they were lice free.

End of story? No. The parents came in the next day and raised hell. Why? None of the other kids in the school were checked by the nurse for lice. My friend, then the administration, explained that they followed both school, and district policy. They only check the kids who had the lice, not everyone else in the class. The same situation occurred in the school last year, and the same policies were applied.

I am sure you guessed the kicker. The kids who happened to have lice were black, most of the other kids in the school are white. The parents were claiming that the school, and my friend, and the admins, were all racists because they only checked their children, not the other kids, most of whom are white. So my friend is pretty upset, the kids are new to the school this year, doing great academically and socially, and are literally in tears because their parents are threatening to switch schools for the second straight year.

So, who is right? Is this racism? More importantly, is the very act of trying to defend the school's action by referencing both written policy and precedent racist because they are denying the claims and feelings of a black family? My opinion is obviously "no" there is no racism present here. The parents are upset they felt their kids were singled out, but it was because they had lice, not because of their race. Am I right, or am I racist?

Old 01-24-2020, 07:24 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Oh. Anytime I do that people insist they aren't. Someone could be wearing a Klan outfit reading mein kempf and they would be shooketh at the suggestion they might be racist. And they would have an army of defenders here and elsewhere

Nothing is racist anymore, and nobody is racist, or also that racism is here to stay and there's nothing I can do about it. Whatever the situation is the answer is to shut up because people are uncomfortable. How boring
Nice spin but not unexpected.

Old 01-28-2020, 05:22 PM

Bumpity bump.

Any answers?

Old 01-28-2020, 06:37 PM

47 posts, read 56,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Bumpity bump.

Any answers?
You are smart enough to know why nobody chose to entertain that nonsense.

Old 01-28-2020, 07:08 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
News from the real world:

I am interested in your opinion on this because it goes to the heart of some of the more debated points here. I know a teacher. One of her students had lice. No big deal, the parents caught it first, kept her home, and took care of the problem. When the child returned to school, she and her brother were discretely taken up to the office (and it was discreet, there is no objection on this point as those kids and many other are pulled for services of one kind or another daily) where the nurse checked and confirmed they were lice free.

End of story? No. The parents came in the next day and raised hell. Why? None of the other kids in the school were checked by the nurse for lice. My friend, then the administration, explained that they followed both school, and district policy. They only check the kids who had the lice, not everyone else in the class. The same situation occurred in the school last year, and the same policies were applied.

I am sure you guessed the kicker. The kids who happened to have lice were black, most of the other kids in the school are white. The parents were claiming that the school, and my friend, and the admins, were all racists because they only checked their children, not the other kids, most of whom are white. So my friend is pretty upset, the kids are new to the school this year, doing great academically and socially, and are literally in tears because their parents are threatening to switch schools for the second straight year.

So, who is right? Is this racism? More importantly, is the very act of trying to defend the school's action by referencing both written policy and precedent racist because they are denying the claims and feelings of a black family? My opinion is obviously "no" there is no racism present here. The parents are upset they felt their kids were singled out, but it was because they had lice, not because of their race. Am I right, or am I racist?
Is this in PG County Maryland?

Old 01-28-2020, 07:30 PM

It's not troll bait, it is a legitimate question. If I knew how people would answer, I wouldn't have asked. Considering how vocal and engaged several posters were on situations that were obviously intended to agitate, I didn't see any harm in asking a question that I feel rides the line and maybe (just maybe) could lead to constructive conversation.

It did not take place in PG, but it does directly address the same questions of possible racism that have become the topic of the thread in our not-so-moderated forum.

Last edited by westsideboy; 01-28-2020 at 07:38 PM..

Old 01-29-2020, 08:45 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
You don't sound racist in telling the story , WSB.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:59 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
You don't sound racist in telling the story , WSB.
That wasn't the question. The question if checking students, who are Black, for lice once they return to school after being absent for having lice is racist even though school policy is to check only those students with a known infection.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 01-29-2020 at 09:08 AM..

Old 01-29-2020, 09:05 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
If it makes anyone feel better, my (white if that is important) kid had lice. We had it taken care of and he returned to school the next day. The nurse check him out and gave him the green light.

I saw it as prudent and a good use of my tax payer dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland