Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2019, 09:43 AM

100 posts, read 154,636 times

Advertisements

Fuddrucker's closes on Rockville Pike

Rockville Nights: Fuddrucker's Rockville closing

Smashburger reopens however down Rockville Pike

Rockville Nights: Smashburger Rockville opening today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 10:13 AM

833 posts, read 520,728 times
Fuddrucker's makes a good burger. Never had Smashburger. Would possibly try it if Rockville were my thing. I try to avoid that hellhole at all costs, though.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:31 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus Clay Banger View Post
Fuddrucker's makes a good burger. Never had Smashburger. Would possibly try it if Rockville were my thing. I try to avoid that hellhole at all costs, though.
We had a SmashBurger up here in Frederick for a while. I thought it was pretty good but burger places don’t seem to do well up here for some reason. We’ve had SmashBurger, Elevation Burger, BGR Burger all in just the past few years. They were all pretty good but didn’t last. Five guys, Wags, and Beef, Buns & Paradise have survived but Wags is a full service restaurant, even though known for its burgers.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:49 PM

2,193 posts, read 2,688,552 times
That entire ~5 square block area is being redeveloped. 10 new buildings, a Wegmans, 2000 residential units, 500k sqft of office space, 1 acre park, etc. next to the Twinbrook metro station. Massive improvement from the status quo, to say the least.

Old 08-17-2019, 11:47 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Fudruckers was under the model of the 90's era-style, semi-chain restaurants. It kinda re-branded a little in the mid-2000's, but never really differentiated itself. Those types of restaurants can't really survive nowadays with so many options around (from healthier, to international, to high-end). When I was back visiting my parents in Columbia years ago, I noticed the Fudruckers there had closed too, so I'm surprised the one in Rockville survived this long. Burger places don't usually do well long-term.

Old 08-18-2019, 09:24 PM

344 posts, read 416,816 times
I loved Fuddruckers. The one in the city I live in now has been closed for years. I was living in Richmond, VA, in the late 80s when they opened one there. I still remember the commercial which was hilarious. As I recall it was someone with a normal voice telling someone with a real hillbilly voice the name of the new restaurant and he was like “Whuttt, I can’t say that on the radio “ like it was a dirty word! I loved getting the biggest burger and slathering it with cheese and mayo, slathering the fries the same way. Those were the days!

Old 08-19-2019, 07:55 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
I remember when I was a teen (in the 90’s), the only local Fuddruckers that I was aware of was in Baltimore in the Inner Harbor. I grew up in Howard County, so I only got to go on special occasions a couple times per year. I had fond memories of the restaurant back then. The burgers seemed good and large (different from Mc’Donalds), and unique fries and good desserts. It was the type of place that teens would love. That was before they became a bigger franchise.

When they opened up the one in Columbia in the mid-2000’s, it didn’t seem as special and seemed like more of a standard burger chain. Part of that perspective was probably because I was older, and became a little more health conscious. I just never really loved it. Although looking at the yelp reviews for the Rockville location, it had very good ratings so it looks like it was well-received.

Another area restaurant that I had fond memories of, but is no longer around, is Hamburger Hamlet. We went there once in a blue moon when I was a kid, and they stood out because they were the only restaurant I remember having a warm brownie with ice cream and fudge dessert. Of course, that is now a standard dessert at many restaurants now. I went back once when I was older before it closed, and I was not impressed at all. Although I did feel nostalgic when it closed. The commercialization of all the different restaurant options nowadays makes those nostalgic memories a thing of the past.

Old 08-26-2019, 01:18 PM

1,261 posts, read 693,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat3 View Post
Fuddrucker's closes on Rockville Pike

Rockville Nights: Fuddrucker's Rockville closing

Smashburger reopens however down Rockville Pike

Rockville Nights: Smashburger Rockville opening today
Amazing, I haven't been there in years but when it first opened, was the place to be! That entire site is slated for redevelopment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland