Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 09:10 AM

6 posts, read 44,688 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am considering buying a condo at Potomac Oaks, Diamond farm area, close to the cross-section of Clopper Rd & Quince Orchard Rd. I am a single female and really concerned about safety. Dose anyone know about this area and it is safe to live for a single woman? Thanks a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 09:42 AM

11 posts, read 67,381 times
I have lived in Potomac Oaks for nearly 5 years, with my wife and son. While we have never been the victim of any crime, burglaries and thefts from vehicles happen all too routinely in this area. There is the occasional robbery/mugging, but I would say the risk is no greater than anywhere else in the area. Just always be aware of your surroundings, and get to know your neighbors (good advice anywhere, I suppose). If you are looking for inexpensive housing in MoCo, you could certainly do worse.

Our main complaint about Potomac Oaks is the management of the complex. They are unresponsive and adversarial, and when they do bother communicate with residents, it's always in the form of a sarcastic "nastygram" posted on the common bulletin boards. The condo fees are astronomical, the heating, AC, and plumbing are always on the fritz...in terms of building maintenance issues, you're on your own.

Hope this helps you...I'd be glad to answer any other questions.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:29 AM

6 posts, read 44,688 times
Hi, Thanks for your reply

I also wonder whether you can hear noise from upstairs and it is safe to live on the ground floor. Thanks a lot

Old 12-22-2008, 05:02 PM

941 posts, read 3,909,789 times
Well, if you're looking for quiet, I wouldn't stay at Potomac Oaks....the buildings intersect 117 & 124 which gets major traffic.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:02 PM

11 posts, read 67,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
Well, if you're looking for quiet, I wouldn't stay at Potomac Oaks....the buildings intersect 117 & 124 which gets major traffic.
It's a sprawling complex; parts of it are exposed to traffic and other noise (near Grove Park apts and the shopping center), other parts (say, across from the elementary school and park) are very quiet. While it is adjacent to 117 (Clopper Rd.) and 124 (Quince Orchard Rd.), none of the units actually face those roads.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 12,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annM View Post
Hi, I am considering buying a condo at Potomac Oaks, Diamond farm area, close to the cross-section of Clopper Rd & Quince Orchard Rd. I am a single female and really concerned about safety. Dose anyone know about this area and it is safe to live for a single woman? Thanks a lot
I am also single and have lived there since 1982, I enjoy living there, my neighbors are so nice, always there to lend a helping hand. I live in the 720 building. Great place to live!

Old 03-13-2009, 02:04 PM

1 posts, read 12,431 times
who is the current management company?

Old 03-13-2009, 08:59 PM

19 posts, read 76,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootdown View Post
I have lived in Potomac Oaks for nearly 5 years, with my wife and son. While we have never been the victim of any crime, burglaries and thefts from vehicles happen all too routinely in this area. There is the occasional robbery/mugging, but I would say the risk is no greater than anywhere else in the area. Just always be aware of your surroundings, and get to know your neighbors (good advice anywhere, I suppose). If you are looking for inexpensive housing in MoCo, you could certainly do worse.

Our main complaint about Potomac Oaks is the management of the complex. They are unresponsive and adversarial, and when they do bother communicate with residents, it's always in the form of a sarcastic "nastygram" posted on the common bulletin boards. The condo fees are astronomical, the heating, AC, and plumbing are always on the fritz...in terms of building maintenance issues, you're on your own.

Hope this helps you...I'd be glad to answer any other questions.
Nastygrams are not nice and uncalled for by an Board of Directors. However, as an ex Board member I can also say it gets frustrating, residents do not get involved an thus the Board Members do all the work and are usually not paid.

As far as the fees, your Board of Directors should publish an Annual Budget and Financial Report you should look at it carefully. Please consider, that the Board must escrow reserves for repaving of parking areas, painting, and major replacement items. When buying you should review the Financial Statements pay close attention to projected expenses. Any projected expenses should be backed up by a Reserve Study that is less than ten years old.

Montgomery County has an office that regulates Condo and Homeowners Associations it is called the Office of Common Ownership Communities they can be helpful also.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:20 AM

24 posts, read 106,578 times
Wow - I cant believe we actually have a post about Potomac Oaks. I live there currently and have been there since Summer of 2006. It is a decent neighborhood. I bought the one bedroom when I was 25 yrs old, so I got what I could afford, with being a somewhat short distance from Silver Spring (where I work).

I do read crime reports on the Gaithersburg website, and there seems to be a particular hotspot (burglaries and theft) in front of my area over near the Grove Park Apts. I have yet to deal with anything, but I guess I better knock on wood. My assumption is that this particular area has a high concentration of people, which increases the likelihood of crime. Thats just a reality ..

There are plumbing issues. I am going through a a little bit of a disaster in my bathroom ceiling as we speak. The unit upstairs had a leak and it has damaged the entire ceiling, so they are going to replace it for me this weekend. Last year, I had a plumbing issue involving the toilet- which caused a leak and ceiling damage to the unit below me. It seems I have bad luck in this department.

In addition, you can hear people - but only if they are screaming. I still think these buildings are pretty sturdy and it IS in an established neighborhood, with mature trees and residents that have been here for years. I couldnt ask for a better set of building neighbors.

As for any other neighborhood - always look around, for things out of the normal and get to know your neighbors.

I just read in a newsletter that the orchard pond apartments will possibly be getting bulldozed in the next few yrs for additional retail, shops, office, and condos, to accompany the already broken -ground mixed use site 'Watkins Mill Town Center' by the Metropolitan Grove MARC Station. By the way - If you can take the MARC Train to work in the mornings - do so .. its more convenient and you don't have to worry about driving on 270 everyday. What does this mean for us in P Oaks? More shops in walking distance, versus that god forsaken plaza with magruders. All of this, will take some time, and values should go back up at some point. Never think that condos (especially here), will go up by a huge percent, because it won't. Consider this a great starting point to live.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:25 AM

19 posts, read 76,318 times
I can´t believe the Orchard Pond Apartments are gonna be torn down. I remember when they built them and they had a series of ads on the radio that talked about the virtues of living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland