Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 04:58 PM

18 posts, read 75,377 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I would like to hear your voice about those two cities. I focus most on the safe point (crime rate, violence) and found out that both Fairfax and Germantown (Gaithersburg) have fairly low crime rate compared to those closer to DC/Bethesda ones. The second focus would be the accessibility to metro. I will work in Bethesda if it helps.

Thanks a lot,

D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 05:21 PM

658 posts, read 1,784,970 times
Actually, the areas of Bethesda/Rockville are safer than Gaithersburg/Germantown. However; if you will be working in Bethesda, I would forget Fairfax, VA as there is no metro and commuting via 66 and 495 would be a complete nightmare.

Depending on your budget, I would start in Rockville and then work your way north. Shady Grove is the last stop on the metro and is located at the Rockville & Gaithersburg city limits.
For Gaithersburg and Germantown, both have good and bad areas; so look carefully.
Areas to avoid in Gaithersburg are Old Town & the area around Lakeforest Mall. Most of the areas west of 270 are a safe bet. For Germantown, I would avoid anything off Middlebrook Rd, Wisteria, and Brandermill. The areas in Milestone, the Town Center and Richter Farm/Great Seneca Hwy are also good bets.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:40 PM

18 posts, read 75,377 times
I am surprised to hear that Rockeville is safer than Gaitherburgs/Germantown, because information I got (Neighborhood Search for Home Buyers and Real Estate Investment - NeighborhoodScout and http://neighborhoods.realtor.com) both shows the inverse. Anyway, hearing from experience and from real life is always the best. Thanks for the input. If possible, could you point out some places in Rockeville to stay away?

Anyway, I am planning to have 2 bedroom apt for about 1200-1400. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

D.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:31 PM

941 posts, read 3,909,458 times
Gaithersburg (20877) has gone downhill really bad. Germantown began accepting Section 8 vochures in droves, so it's sketchy in some areas.

Gaithersburg (20878/9) & Derwood 20855 are good places.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:59 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,774,353 times
I lived in Germantown and the above posts are correct; crime there is much higher than the areas further south in the county. Here is the county police website for better crime stat info. Montgomery County Police Department.

If I had to move back to MoCo, I would go for Rockville or further south.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:01 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
I still see people exaggerating how bad things are in Gaithersburg. I don't disagree with the recommendation to not live near Old Town or Lakeforest, but making it seem like it is really terrible there is going too far. I wouldn't be surprised if the same exxagerations are true about Germantown. For the budget they have, they're probably going to end up in either of those places. For Gaithersburg, look along Muddy Branch Rd., west of 270, or the area near Clopper Rd., near Quince Orchard Rd. for possible Apartments in your price range. There's good Public transport from either to Metro and down to Bethesda. (The Clopper Rd area has more options than the Muddy Branch area). If you raise your budget a bit then you could live in the Kentlands or in Rockville.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:17 AM

789 posts, read 2,563,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I still see people exaggerating how bad things are in Gaithersburg. I don't disagree with the recommendation to not live near Old Town or Lakeforest, but making it seem like it is really terrible there is going too far. I wouldn't be surprised if the same exxagerations are true about Germantown. For the budget they have, they're probably going to end up in either of those places. For Gaithersburg, look along Muddy Branch Rd., west of 270, or the area near Clopper Rd., near Quince Orchard Rd. for possible Apartments in your price range. There's good Public transport from either to Metro and down to Bethesda. (The Clopper Rd area has more options than the Muddy Branch area). If you raise your budget a bit then you could live in the Kentlands or in Rockville.
And I bet it's the same people.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:22 PM

941 posts, read 3,909,458 times
Quote:
To what degree you think there is exaggerating? I have lived and worked here everyday since 1982. I know how things are.

Next to Lakeforest Mall, Old Town are the absolute worst area. Did you know that most stores in Gaithersburg/Germantown have security guards patrolling their stores during business hours? What kind of town is that?!

Parking is also a huge issue. There are far too many residents with multiple vehicles. Every time I pass down a residential street, there's cars parked all along like this was New York. There are several streets and apartment complexes that you should avoid at ALL costs. Once again, what kind of town is this?

While it's not like Gary, Indiana or Youngstown, Ohio...but it's getting there. What is different about Gaithersburg/Germantown is that it's suburbs, not their own (not at least in a LONG time).

The areas you listed are actually in 20878/9 so it's all moot.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:54 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Everytime I take the bus to the Lakeforest Transit Center to either go to Trader Joe's or to switch buses, I look around and think, "this area gets a bum rap on C-D Forums.." I'm guessing that one stabbing or shooting, that happened a few years ago, has forever branded this area as bad. That's not to mention that most of the people there are Black or Hispanic. I meet the nicest people in that area. Old Town has the same problem. Too many Hispanic people. I am ashamed of all of the white folks (I'm white) that get scared whenever a person of color is in the area. I'm even more ashamed to see it on C-D. Crime may be worse than it used to be, but I've seen far worse places than these. BTW, I live in one of those apartments (ellsewhere in Gaithersburg, not near Lakeforest or Old Town) that people on C-D try to scare people away from. Haven't had a single problem in 3 years here. I'm just offering people a more positive, and truthful, perspective than what they usually get. It's up to them to decide what they're going to believe about the area.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:35 AM

789 posts, read 2,563,037 times
Quote:
Everytime I take the bus to the Lakeforest Transit Center to either go to Trader Joe's or to switch buses, I look around and think, "this area gets a bum rap on C-D Forums.." I'm guessing that one stabbing or shooting, that happened a few years ago, has forever branded this area as bad. That's not to mention that most of the people there are Black or Hispanic. I meet the nicest people in that area. Old Town has the same problem. Too many Hispanic people. I am ashamed of all of the white folks (I'm white) that get scared whenever a person of color is in the area. I'm even more ashamed to see it on C-D. Crime may be worse than it used to be, but I've seen far worse places than these. BTW, I live in one of those apartments (ellsewhere in Gaithersburg, not near Lakeforest or Old Town) that people on C-D try to scare people away from. Haven't had a single problem in 3 years here. I'm just offering people a more positive, and truthful, perspective than what they usually get. It's up to them to decide what they're going to believe about the area.
I think I have stock in that Trader Joe's since wifey goes there 3 to 4 times a week - so I know what you're talking about.

On a serious note, it's been more that one stabbing or shooting....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland