Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2007, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 4,977 times

Advertisements

I have never read such a bunch of cramp in my life. First of all, there are many rich people living in Oxon Hill, Temple Hills, and other areas of PG county. There are just as many poor people that live in the big houses in Upper Marlboro also. First of all, if your family makes $100,000 a year and you are living in a $500,000 house, you don't have money left to buy food. And how many times did you refinance so that you possibly make your mortgage. Additionally, you may want to free up some of your money to get an education because I have never seen so many miss-spelled words and grammar errors in my life. Lastly, you may not have a lot of youth crimes, however, you may want to watch the news to see where the highest rate of domestic violence are occurring.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:20 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,300,004 times
Cibright: First off please mind your business and get out of mines.
I never once said all lower income folks live in Oxon Hill,Temple Hill area. Lower income folks live in all of Pg county I know that but you have to remember that its kind of difficult for lower income folks to live in certain areas of Pg county such as Upper Marlboro and Bowie because of the property tax and the cost of rent. The same goes for Potomac maryland where its difficult for lower income folks to buy or rent.
If you want to know My husband and I own 2 different companies and starting a new medical billing franchise. I am only 23 yrs old so I am still learning.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:10 AM

350 posts, read 1,645,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cibright View Post
I have never read such a bunch of cramp in my life. First of all, there are many rich people living in Oxon Hill, Temple Hills, and other areas of PG county. There are just as many poor people that live in the big houses in Upper Marlboro also. First of all, if your family makes $100,000 a year and you are living in a $500,000 house, you don't have money left to buy food. And how many times did you refinance so that you possibly make your mortgage. Additionally, you may want to free up some of your money to get an education because I have never seen so many miss-spelled words and grammar errors in my life. Lastly, you may not have a lot of youth crimes, however, you may want to watch the news to see where the highest rate of domestic violence are occurring.
I don't think there is any reason for personal attacks.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:51 AM

1 posts, read 4,753 times
hello everyone,
I'm a student from Germany and I'm writing a research paper about PG County, MD.
I have some questions and I couldn't find the answers on the internet. I hope that you can help me.

1)What is the percentage of minority students in private schools in PG Couny? It it much lower than in public schools?
2) how high is the graduation rate in PG county? I found many different percentages, from 67% to 86% so I'm confused, what numbers are correct and where can I find the source?
3) Has crime in PG County become better or worse in the past 10 years? Is the proximity to Washington DC the only reason for the high crime rates?

Thank you very much

Old 10-13-2007, 07:22 AM

57 posts, read 297,454 times
Default quickly...

I can't address the school demographics. I would suggest a simple thorough google search. But private schools do not need to publish any information about their students - because they are private.

In terms of crime rate, it has increased over the 10 years from 1997 to 2007. However, you will find that crime, in particular violent crime, peaked in 2005 and has plunged for the last two years. Car jackings and car theft and homicides have plummeted (i believe they are down 30% to 40% since the 2005 peak. This is largely due to a decrease in affordable public housing that is inside the beltway (yes, close to DC). This is difficult time to try and sum-up where the county is, because it really is in a state of great change. OR else you wouldn't have such drastic changes in crime in a county that is so populous. The links that I e-mailed you attest to large changes in terms of commercial development that is coming to the county.

As far as reasons for crime goes, i'll take a stab at it:
1) Main reason: It borders southeast DC and Northeast DC - the two worst quadrants of DC in terms of crime. THis is by far, the biggest reason, and the main reason why it is cheaper to live outside the beltway then inside it - PG is the only jurisdiction where this is true. For further evidence, in Montgomery County, Silver Spring and Takoma Park (that are close to N.E. DC) have a far higher crime rate than Chevy Chase and Bethesda - that border tony Northwest DC.
2) The second reason is poor/corrupt land use planning. PG has a higher percentage of affordable and subsized housing than other counties. PG exacerbates this problem, by concentrating them, which festers more crime. PG has recently been addressing this, as i mentioned earlier with great results.
3) There are other reasons that i don't want to get into, but they are minor in compared to the first two problems.

Also do a search for "PG county" and "history." You should find a PDF file that has a very nice explanation of how PG came to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germangirl19 View Post
hello everyone,
I'm a student from Germany and I'm writing a research paper about PG County, MD.
I have some questions and I couldn't find the answers on the internet. I hope that you can help me.

1)What is the percentage of minority students in private schools in PG Couny? It it much lower than in public schools?
2) how high is the graduation rate in PG county? I found many different percentages, from 67% to 86% so I'm confused, what numbers are correct and where can I find the source?
3) Has crime in PG County become better or worse in the past 10 years? Is the proximity to Washington DC the only reason for the high crime rates?

Thank you very much

Old 10-13-2007, 09:37 AM

144 posts, read 630,863 times
Default Le

As always you are very factual and objective in your posts. I agree with your assessments

Do you have any links not posted on this forum that you don't mind sharing in terms of the changes to occur in the county?

Old 10-15-2007, 06:02 AM

350 posts, read 1,645,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germangirl19 View Post
hello everyone,

Thank you very much
Try contacting the school board for some of that info. I'm curious- what is the basis of your research paper?

Old 10-16-2007, 08:07 PM

57 posts, read 297,454 times
Default sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFMD View Post

Do you have any links not posted on this forum that you don't mind sharing in terms of the changes to occur in the county?
Sure, this is my favorite:
MWCOG.org - Publications

Veritable treasure-trove of info for the whole DC region.
link for an 8MB file.
-LE

Old 10-17-2007, 10:49 PM

71 posts, read 337,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
Some nice areas of PG would be Mitchellville, Lake Arbor, Upper Marlboro and much of Bowie and Laurel. The general rule of thumb is the further away from the Beltway, the better. As far as neighboring counties, Howard, Anne Arundel and Charles counties all border PG but it depends where exactly within the county you'll be working as to which would make more sense to live in. Generally, people leaving PG County due to quality of life issues, have been heading south to Charles County.
This is very true... Too bad a lot of those moving to Chuck County are bringing their lousy undisciplined kids with them. Charles County was once beautiful, clean and friendly. Now southern PG is infecting it.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:12 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,300,004 times
Pg county government are increasing the property tax and housing value are increasing that the lower icome folks can no longer afford the huse prices even in the areas that need improvements. Also the county is putting alot of money into areas such as Landover/Capitol Heights/Suitland/Hyattsville which were trouble areas. The county is tearing down section8 complex and building new communities,shopping,upscale condos. The residents of PG county who are lower income folks are were living on section8 in PG county are now moving to Montgomery county,Charles county. Montgomery county have more government programs to help low income families and those on Section8. Pg county is reducing their section8 apartments and applicants while other county are increasing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland