Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 10:55 AM

9 posts, read 30,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by howsitgoingdude3 View Post
Novael, okay, here’s a quick response to your aforementioned question above about money and class! Well, money is just one component that describes class and defines class level. I've mentioned earlier yes, a poor person can move up in class, but a person born into a higher class cannot move down in class. Money is a large component of class, but I stressed there are a number of other components, that also go along with money to help solidify and define your class. If your grandparents are or were very well educated, then most likely so are your parents and there are certain customs and traditions, that come with generations of well educated people. Again I’m giving that as one example and saying that money is not the single determinant socially of who's "upper class" and who is not upper class. I mean do you consider Jay Z to be "upper class"?? Surly one wouldn’t deny he has a large amount wealth, but I’m sure no one would consider him “upper class.” Yes, the fact is he is rich or wealthy, but that doesn’t mean it has bought him any class. He still has poor grammar and on occasion extremely poor taste in dress and may lack some basic dinning social graces, that other have. This is my point money doesn’t determine your class unless you accept the traditions and social norms of that particular class. Hell, Rosanne Barr is rich, but would you consider her classy?

On to your next set of rebuttals I think we are in the same ball park here. You've merely restated most of what I’ve said about why I think most of those people choose not to live in PG.

Novael, on to your next question there only like 30-35 million black people in this country. 2 million are in jail and 10 million live under the poverty line. The rest are working poor, middle class, and small portions are upper middle and an even smaller portion is wealthy. The upper middle and wealthy live all over this country, so yes, it would be nice if PG became the place were "all" this upper class blacks decided to live, but I do not think there needs to be a place. I think it’s better if we are all spread out as opposed to one place. I do not see a legitimate argument in favor of creating a single black mecca. I mean why do you we need that and how would that serve the greater community?
In terms of class, we are talking semantics. There is class as defined by money, worth, etc (economic class). and there is class defined by one's station in life, status, or how one acts (social class). I mean, if a person is defined as middle-class, are you saying they don't act like they are rich, but don't act trashy either. Middle-class is specifically an income/wealth designation. Paris Hilton is not upper-class per your usage of the word. Jay-Z is either upper-class or rich (depending on where he sits in the wealth distribution of this county), but may be low class in manner, or the image he projects. My apologies for not clearly defining my position. I was refering specifically to economic class. Regardless of how one acts, if they make 1mil+ per year, they are defined as upper-class. They may be low class individuals, but the IRS only looks at the tax returns (if they file them).

Let me again clarify my position. I don't believe PGC should be THE black mecca. I myself choose to live in a diverse area, but I don't discount those that want to live in a homogenous area with people of like incomes, values, etc. It is vital for blacks to be integrated in all parts of society and areas. I am not for segragation, but if PGC were to become a place where middle-class and upper-class blacks want to live, great! Ultimately, the reasons that PGC is not this "mecca" are the real issues we should be tackling; poor education system, crime. As you stated, 1/3 of black people live below the poverty line. We definitely need to find solutions for that. We are on the same page.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:19 PM

7 posts, read 24,696 times
Wow, I just bought a house (closing on the 1st), and after reading this forum you all have made me nervous. I bought in Upper Marlboro, and it seems fine to me. A bit rural, but fine by other standards. I live in a very black community (I am white), as far as I could tell all black, and I have not noticed any difference. The people are nice and the community is clean. When I watch the news about PG county, it is always Captiol Heights or those areas.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:46 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,301,872 times
I too live in Upper Marlboro and its very nice. The poeple on this forum makes it seems that prices for homes in pg county is very cheap and all the communities in the county are all bad and i am trying to let them understand that if they take a look at the communities in the nice areas and what they all offer they would change their made instantly. SOme people on this forum makes the Blacks in pg county seems like we are all uneducated,Poor,No class which is so not true.

Old 05-16-2007, 01:06 PM

Yup, when me and my fiance and son pulled up to our new house, we heard a murmur of "there goes the neighborhood..."

In all seriousness, Upper Marlboro was the only place I could afford within commuting distance to the Pentagon. I do not make over 100K, far from it actually, and this was the only community that did not 'chew me up and spit me out.' Virginia was out of the question, HOA's alone there are more than the rent on my first apartment in '91.

My fear is that we will not be accepted because we are the minority...but I obviously have faith in mankind enough to take the step...so if you see a white dude with a young prego wife and his son out and about, a "hello" won't hurt

Old 05-16-2007, 03:06 PM

175 posts, read 733,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novael View Post
In terms of class, we are talking semantics. There is class as defined by money, worth, etc (economic class). and there is class defined by one's station in life, status, or how one acts (social class). I mean, if a person is defined as middle-class, are you saying they don't act like they are rich, but don't act trashy either. Middle-class is specifically an income/wealth designation. Paris Hilton is not upper-class per your usage of the word. Jay-Z is either upper-class or rich (depending on where he sits in the wealth distribution of this county), but may be low class in manner, or the image he projects. My apologies for not clearly defining my position. I was refering specifically to economic class. Regardless of how one acts, if they make 1mil+ per year, they are defined as upper-class. They may be low class individuals, but the IRS only looks at the tax returns (if they file them).

Let me again clarify my position. I don't believe PGC should be THE black mecca. I myself choose to live in a diverse area, but I don't discount those that want to live in a homogenous area with people of like incomes, values, etc. It is vital for blacks to be integrated in all parts of society and areas. I am not for segragation, but if PGC were to become a place where middle-class and upper-class blacks want to live, great! Ultimately, the reasons that PGC is not this "mecca" are the real issues we should be tackling; poor education system, crime. As you stated, 1/3 of black people live below the poverty line. We definitely need to find solutions for that. We are on the same page.
Novael kudos dude!! We are in line and you're right there are two definitions in terms of social class and economic class. I agree with your points, so no need to add to them are argue them. I should have stated, that and made the seperation between social class and economic class. Hehe I did not even think of Paris, but yes I think many would agree she is rich and comes from wealth, but by no means does she act as if she has any of those social graces in public. I guess that's another forum topic for another day haha. Anyway seeing as thought we are in line I think we both agree, that the PG county discussion board does raise some extremely relevent issues as well as points out some nice success stories along the way. Heck, it's the most read board in the Maryland section, so I think people are very curious about the area.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:53 PM

176 posts, read 278,652 times
Iscalder, check your private messages and let me know if your still interested. Not hearing from you about the title and mortgage business callabo.

Old 05-16-2007, 05:03 PM

uncjohnny: I have whites living in my community and we get along fine all the kids in the community play together and no one notice them as been different. DId you purchase a new home?

Old 05-17-2007, 05:16 AM

Iscalder-

I bought pre-existing. In Brandywine Station, off of 301. Which brings to mind...can anyone recommend a good independent contractor?? My problem is I am broke, so I need one that does good work for minimal...what are the chances?

Old 05-17-2007, 06:18 AM

Good idea to purchase in Brandywine because thats the next area the builders will develope. I know a few who do good work and cheap. I am a real estate investor and a mortgage consultant so I know a few good men

Old 05-17-2007, 06:58 AM

176 posts, read 278,652 times
Iscalder, I am going to fed -ex somethign to you today but don`t know who to address it to. I already have the company address but I just need a name. Can I send it to you and if so what name should I use?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland