Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 09:37 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,262,237 times

Advertisements

So what's the story with MS-13? Much activity? Seems like not much interest or even postings about them - almost nothing for DC in the search engines. As opposed to California Forums which are always going on about their gangs.

Also, seems like California, isn't there quite a bit of bad blood between Latino & Black gangs. Much tension at all with MS-13 and others?

Never really hear about that with DC at all. Any major gang presense? I believe Vietnamese are another out in CA with high gang membership. But I'm getting the feeling that the Vietnamese in Virginia are a completely different breed...

Also, on other forums that have gang threads..you always get the token 'gang member' using the gang venacular trying to give cred to the toughness of their city and all that as well.

DC Forums seem strangely absent of all that..what's up with that anyways? Your take on it...

Old 09-25-2010, 09:44 PM

331 posts, read 905,203 times
listen, I used to roll with the blood gang, and i'll tell you Ms-13 is here in the DC area.
despite what these crime rates and murder rates say, they do have an impact. just like the mafia they DO NOT shi*t where they sleep. meaning they'll kill someone in one place but dump the body somewhere else.there crime stats are bogus. its so much stuff that the police aren't hip to that they'll never be able to figure it out.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:44 PM

27,677 posts, read 28,781,386 times
Sure, there are gangs in the D.C. area just like in any other large city. But my feeling is that gangs are something that have become very out of place and isolated here. It's just criminals (or wannabes) victimizing others just like them. And the wider mainstream society has moved on and become desensitized to it and doesn't think twice about it anymore. It almost feels like history.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:48 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,712,349 times
bedbugs are a bigger threat

Honestly in DC there are mainly 'crews.' Basically loosely formed alliances of neighborhood kids. Most just 'beef' with one another and usually culminate in fisticuffs but occasionally things get a bit too heated and some stupid decides the only proper response for being direspeck'd is to shoot a guy.

I think in another thread someone posited that there aren't many gangs because of the FBI's HQ being here. It'd kinda be like starting a terrorist organization whilst being a stone's throw from the NSA HQ.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:52 PM

hE'RE GOES THE GANGLAND VIDEOS FROM THE HISTORY CHANNEL. Most of the activity takes place in Prince George's County and Montgomery county, MD. NoVa has some activity too along Columbia Pike and Culmore. Theres Ms-13 in Columbia Heights and Petworth too forget what any of these other poster might tell you I know these streets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kdm-...layer_embedded

Old 09-25-2010, 09:59 PM

In your xcase, you'd probably have no problem because most of the violence is towards oter gang and crew members. but at the same time I'm tired of people thinking that the D.C. area is so sweet when its not. I've robbed people and have been robbed myself and learned from it. The streets is not as safe as it seems and MPD is messing with these crime stats. not saying that D..c is like Iraq but it ain't no Malibu California neither. You safe for the most part if your not out in the wee hours of the morning or starting trouble.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:08 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,262,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avtomat Kalashnikova View Post
hE'RE GOES THE GANGLAND VIDEOS FROM THE HISTORY CHANNEL. Most of the activity takes place in Prince George's County and Montgomery county, MD. NoVa has some activity too along Columbia Pike and Culmore. Theres Ms-13 in Columbia Heights and Petworth too forget what any of these other poster might tell you I know these streets.
The youtube clips are disabled....but I do remember that MS-13 episode of Gangland.

Was just thinking...when you have three different jurisdictions like that - MD, DC, VA...you could move around quite easily.

Are VIETNAMESE gangs around? I'm thinking that being more suburbanites of DC...maybe not.

As to the rest...yeah, I certainly associate random violence with DC...crime as well. But I don't necessarily think of gang stuff so much. But seems like it would have to exist, as never heard of any U.S. city NOT having that.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The youtube clips are disabled....but I do remember that MS-13 episode of Gangland.

Was just thinking...when you have three different jurisdictions like that - MD, DC, VA...you could move around quite easily.

Are VIETNAMESE gangs around? I'm thinking that being more suburbanites of DC...maybe not.
not really. in this area its mostly black and latino gangs and crews. not saying tat Asians don't do their dirt too. but you'll only see black and latino gangs, and maybe a few whites.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:17 PM

27,677 posts, read 28,781,386 times
There is practically zero gang activity in upper-middle class neighborhoods in the D.C. area.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There is practically zero gang activity in upper-middle class neighborhoods in the D.C. area.
By that you mean West of the park right lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: