Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2010, 11:55 AM

3 posts, read 7,353 times

Advertisements

I know there were already a lot of posts about this but I need specific advice. I will be moving to the DC area in June 2011 for a job in McLean (8200 Jones Branch Drive, McLean, VA). I know this is close to Tyson's Corner but it's not as easy to get to. I am worried because I'd rather be able to take the metro/bus/walk to work instead of having a car and getting stuck in traffic. I'm not sure how to manuever this, or where to live. My friend will be rooming with me and she works at Georgetown Hopsital. We are willing to pay $1500 each. I also have a dog, so I'd like to be able to get to work quickly (this is my main concern). If we lived in Arlington/Vienna/etc. I'm not sure how I'd get to work and how far we'd be from her work and the DC area...the point of moving to the area is to be in DC where all the action is...so if I could feasibly get to work in under an hour whlie living closer to DC, please advise. Thanks! Oh, and I'm a single while 21 year old female...just me and my dog and roommate...and I'll be moving from Baton Rouge, LA (but I'm from Houston)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 12:41 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,228,142 times
The combination of your and your friend's work locations doesn't seem ideal for a car-free life. Your friend won't have a car, either?

Neither of your work locations are right on Metrorail, though one can walk from Foggy Bottom or Rosslyn to Georgetown. For your McLean office, it looks like the 2T bus could get you there from Dunn Loring Metrorail station. If that's so, then Arlington is a possible living location - although you wouldn't be able to get home quickly because you'd have a bus and rail journey. Or you could live in McLean and bus to work (your office isn't right in the heart of McLean).

Did you mean to say that the two of you can spend up to $3,000 a month on rent ($1,500 each, you wrote)? If so, you'll have a lot of options. If you meant $1,500 total for a 2 BR, you'll have fewer options.

Living in Arlington would be good for being in the action and accessibility to DC. Living in McLean without a car would feel isolated away from the action, and would take effort to get downtown or to Arlington.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:17 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,575,388 times
If you are willing to spend 1500 then you should get a car

Old 12-16-2010, 03:38 PM

3 posts, read 7,353 times
okay, so if i drove to work from arlington, how long would my commute be and what way should i take?

Old 12-16-2010, 04:02 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,575,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megthev4 View Post
okay, so if i drove to work from arlington, how long would my commute be and what way should i take?
From Arlington to McLean it should take around 20-30 minutes depending on traffic. You would probably take 7 and/or 66 in that scenario. It's not a horrific commute because you are travelling against the rush hour.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:21 PM

671 posts, read 1,118,320 times
Ballston? Great for being 21. Metro access and a bus service terminal.

Rosslyn Easy access to metro and Georgetown maybe even walking distance for Georgetown.

Both places are spendy.

Website for metro bus and metrorail http://www.wmata.com/rider_tools/tri...ripplanner.cfm

Last edited by Lemming95; 12-16-2010 at 05:35 PM..

Old 12-16-2010, 09:39 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,146,728 times
The main office of my company is very close to where you will be working. Fortunately I don't have to go there often. The challenging thing right now, and for the next couple of years, is that it is very close to the new metro construction. Dulles Metrorail - Frequently Asked Questions (http://www.dullesmetro.com/info/faqs.cfm - broken link)

That means the traffic patterns, especially around 495 and 123, change very frequently. It is hard to drive around there but I'm sure it is harder to plan around public transportation. I'm not sure I'd want to live close to there because then you'd deal with the traffic problems in order to get anywhere.

I'd take the suggestions to live in Arlington and accept the commute. Then at least you'd have public transport for nights out!

And in 2013, there will be public transportation closer...

Old 12-16-2010, 09:56 PM

671 posts, read 1,118,320 times
Shuttle Bus Service - Washington, DC
Could your roommate use this shuttle bus? Does your company have a shuttle bus to metro?

Old 12-18-2010, 08:54 PM

84 posts, read 287,778 times
To get to Jones Branch Road from the Orange line.. Tale the Fairfax Connector to the Tysons/West Park transit station.. from West Falls Church.

May be cheaper to live in Reston and take the bus.. friend would stay on to West Falls Church and ride the Metro..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC