Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 03:09 PM

8 posts, read 38,665 times

Advertisements

Would DC make a good destination for a short city vacation? 3-4 nights.

Couple with young child from NYC.

(We have already been to most major spots in the US in case you wonder)

We're thinking Sightseeing, Shopping, Family friendly attractions and restaurants.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 03:54 PM

423 posts, read 647,087 times
Sounds cool, it'd probably be better to come in the spring though. It'll be a lot warmer and there will be more things to do. It'll be no fun walking around the national mall in freezing temperatures all day.

For shopping go to Georgetown or Pentagon City
-Restaurants/Bars: Gallery Place, Logan Circle, Adams Morgan, Georgetown, K street, Dupont Circle, U street, Columbia Heights, Penn Quarter, Eastern Market/Barracks Row

-Sightseeing/Family attractions: National Mall (includes US capitol, Lincoln Memorial, Museums, Washington Monument, WWII memorial, etcc), White House, National Zoo, National Aquarium, International Spy Museum, Verizon Center (NBA/NHL/Women's Basketball/Concerts), Lincoln Theater, Ford Theater, Kennedy Center.

The best way to travel around D.C. and the rest of the region is Metro (the subway or bus). Parking can be a big hassle in D.C. and we we're ranked #1 for having the worst traffic.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:05 PM

104 posts, read 208,134 times
Plus the Smithsonian (really a collection of museums)-

Smithsonian

Most of the exhibitions are free of charge.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:30 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,998,265 times
The prettiest time to come is the early spring ~early April when the cherry blossoms are out. Stay downtown or at least near a metro stop as downtown DC is difficult to navigate with a car and great via Metro. The Smithsonian Museums are world class, pick you particular interests and go -- Air & Space, Natural History, etc.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:03 PM

50 posts, read 111,904 times
On the other hand - There are less lines and the off-season prices are lower. Washington is nice in the spring, but there are so many more tourists, and it can get humid, and the blossoms equal allergies to some. Since you're from NYC and it's sooo cold there now. You may appreciate visiting Washington DC this time of year since it's slightly warmer and not as much snow at this point.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:13 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,754,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novaha View Post
Would DC make a good destination for a short city vacation? 3-4 nights.

Couple with young child from NYC.

(We have already been to most major spots in the US in case you wonder)

We're thinking Sightseeing, Shopping, Family friendly attractions and restaurants.

What do you think?
NYC has everything that DC has but better. Why? I hope you went to every museum and landmarks in NYC and got sick of going to each one for the fifth time so you want to visit DC.

Go to the coast of NC. I promise you this, if I can't promise anything else in my life, that it's life altering. I'm not from NC, but everytime I get a chance, I drive over. Especially with a kid. Even an evil kid.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:22 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Definitely wait til warmer weather happens. DC is a great place to visit. While I absolutely hated living there (Northern VA), I hope to make a visit back this summer. There is plenty to do in DC. You won't be bored. At least when I find myself getting frustrated with the bad aspects of the DC area, I can take solace that I get to go back to Louisville.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:53 PM

51 posts, read 124,117 times
Second what Crown Vic said. Tip to get into the White House: call you Senator/Representative's office. They'll get you tickets (though you probably need to call 6+ weeks in advance since a background check is necessary). Additionally your Senator's office can provide you with tours of the capitol buildings and tickets to the Senate and House viewing galleries, if you feel so inclined. Or you could get professional tours from the Capitol Building paid staff (as opposed to from a senate intern).

For Smithsonians, Air and Space and Natural History are generally considered the best (I haven't been to all of them, but from my experience I'd agree). And go to the Zoo. It's free, and pretty awesome. Especially for kids.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:43 PM

23 posts, read 72,288 times
If you've never seen the historic monuments, it's worth a visit. But being from NYC, you'll probably find much of the rest of DC unremarkable. DC has its strengths, but it's not what I see as a vacation city, beyond the monuments. If you do come, visit Alexandria. It's a historical oasis, in the city, and has more character, IMO, than Georgetown.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:39 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,998,265 times
Our thanks to the Alexandria Chamber of Commerce for that short commercial message. The Bronx feels the same way about Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC