Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 08:24 AM

15 posts, read 26,444 times

Advertisements

Hello, I will be relocating from Texas to the DC area and working in Fort Meade. I originally planned on keeping my car, but the salary they offered me simply will not allow for me to keep it. I know it is accessible by public transit (metro to bus) though it is not ideal - I'll have to make it work. I have considered Arlington, Bethesda, and the Navy Yard area of DC. I think Alexandria is a tad far. I am mid 20s and want (need) to be within walking distance to pretty much everything, maybe a Zipcar close by if I need it for something. I do not want a roommate because I've had back luck in the past and am pretty OCD about things. My budget is $1600-$1700. I'd prefer a full 1 bedroom but will take a studio if the location and amenities are nice.

1. Out of the Arlington, Bethesda, and Navy Yard, which would you suggest and why? Or, what are some pros/cons of each?
2. I know I will have to take the MARC from Union station...what are the commutes like from these places to Union?
3. Is this a terrible idea? I have a feeling I will get sick of the metro, but this is do-able, right?

People have suggested I keep my car and live closer to Ft Meade, but the apartments out there just aren't cheap enough to consider doing so. I also run, so I need somewhere safe and close to trails/parks/etc. I have considered Silver Spring but heard that as soon as you go outside downtown, it gets pretty unsafe. TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 08:53 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,577,846 times
If I were you I would be looking at living in the Baltimore area, not the DC area. Much much cheaper and also closer to Fort Meade. Don't believe the media portrayals of Baltimore as being all bad - yes there are lots of bad areas, but you can easily find good areas in both the city and suburbs. Ask in the Baltimore forum for better advice.

I wouldn't even consider places like Arlington or Bethesda. Getting from those places to the MARC train and then on to Fort Meade would be a nightmare. Riding the Metro to Greenbelt and then taking a bus to Fort Meade sounds like an even worse nightmare considering how far the base is from any Metro stop. Plus, I imagine it would be the Greenbelt stop on the Green line, which would be a massive pain to get to from Arlington or Bethesda. Navy Yard to Greenbelt would be more doable, but you'd still be looking at a long bus commute on top of a 30 minute metro ride. Seems like taking the MARC from somewhere in or around Baltimore and then having a short shuttle bus ride would be a lot shorter.... or live somewhere in Baltimore cheap enough to keep your car and drive in.

Last edited by stateofnature; 03-09-2016 at 09:04 AM..

Old 03-09-2016, 09:08 AM

I had some spare time while I was up there last and I just didn't like Baltimore. I absolutely LOVE the DC area and am willing to travel a little longer to be somewhere I like. Do you think somewhere close to Union Station (so I only need to take the MARC) would be more reasonable? I know prices are higher in that area though...I just don't want to be somewhere I'm unhappy. Metro commutes will already make me grumpy I'm sure!

Despite my disliking of Baltimore, I'll post there for some info as well. Thanks!

Old 03-09-2016, 09:17 AM

You might be able to find studio apartments in the Capitol Hill area within walking distance of Union Station for under $1,700, especially English basement apartments. You won't find these advertised much online as these will be from small private owners only. I think any kind of corporate apartment building near Union Station that pops up in Google searches will be outside your budget. The best way to find studios in your price range is a) checking Craigslist aggressively and being quick to show up with check in hand once you've arranged a visit or b) walking around the desired neighborhood looking for "For Rent" signs as a lot of these small landlords are old and don't even use the Internet.
That's the only way I would do the commute if I insisted on living in DC without a car. Living farther from Union Station and having to take a bus/Metro to the station, THEN the MARC train, THEN a shuttle bus, and then do it all in reverse after work I think would drive most people insane.

I really would give Baltimore a second thought if I were you though. It can be difficult to judge an area based on a short visit.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:20 AM

Great to know. I know, I'm a bit stubborn about it. But whether it's DC or Baltimore, I have to be by a metro since the salary does not allow for extras (especially with student loans). But at least this is reassurance that I'm not completely crazy thanks!

Old 03-09-2016, 09:29 AM

I think you might be confusing the Metro and the MARC train. They are two totally separate systems. The Metro is a DC area-only subway system and wouldn't be much help to someone getting to Fort Meade. The MARC train isn't a subway system, it's a commuter rail that goes pretty close to Fort Meade and there appears to be shuttle bus service. Baltimore doesn't have the Metro. It does have a very small subway system that doesn't go many places and wouldn't help your commute.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:34 AM

Yes, I knew there was the DC metro and then the MARC train. We just don't have anything like that here so it's all "metro" to me! I didn't realize Baltimore didn't have one though.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:37 AM

Well they do call the Baltimore subway the "Metro" but it is completely different, separate system and very tiny with a small ridership. It seems to only be useful for certain people with specific commutes that wouldn't apply to you. It doesn't seem like anything you need to take into account. But you can definitely find apartments hundreds of dollars a month cheaper than $1,600 in or near Baltimore which seems like it would allow you to keep your car. It's going to be tough if not impossible to find even a studio under $1,600 near Union Station in DC. 1 bedroom? Forget it.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:43 AM

Where would you say those cheaper ones in Baltimore are? Everything I've seen (in nicer, safe areas) is comparable to DC pricing...$1800+

Old 03-09-2016, 09:48 AM

Baltimore is significantly cheaper than DC. You are not looking in the right places if you are finding the same prices as DC. Are you looking at corporate-managed apartment buildings? Those are always much more expensive than small landlords. You're going to need to be scouring Craigslist like it's your job. Or find a real estate agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: