Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 20,049 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at several post, and I would like to know if anybody here is a physical therapist assistant. I just graduated from college and I am waiting to take my boards in October. My question is, when I apply for an entry-level position, can I afford a one bedroom apartment without getting a roommate. I have been looking on site so I know about how much I am willing to pay for a apartment, I just would like some honest feedback from a person who is in my soon to be profession. Or has a well paying job, who has no desire to have a roommate; what are your take on making in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 04:57 AM

12 posts, read 31,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internal Breathing Fire View Post
I've colored coded the areas where one should use caution or avoid. If your new to the area don't move to the red areas or the orange coded ones in NE, SE, or PG county. The orange in NW only denotes housing projects.

Crime Areas in the DC region - Google Maps
This is so cool! Where did you click to be able to do something like this?

Old 08-28-2013, 10:09 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,752,078 times
This Saturday night - When I'm absolutely hungover, I will post my findings in the most neutral way humanly possible. It took 2 months, and visiting a lot of apartments from Germantown MD, to DC (a lot of areas), and VA/Alexandria, BUT I can finally have some pricing, customer service first impression (not like in Yelp where you don't know what is what about the person), and what the place is like. I'm going to divide them out, and put some keyword in the apartment, but I'm REALLY hoping this helps others like me, who are going all over the F*^& place trying to find a place.

Stay Tune...

Old 11-21-2013, 09:09 PM

9 posts, read 30,104 times
My husband, infant son and I are moving to the DC area from Phoenix. My husband will be working at Reagan, and he will need to get to the airport by metro. Our budget is small (only $1500 with utilities) and we are looking for a 2/2 that allows dogs (2 beagles). However, the commute can be up to an hour by metro. (I can also drive him to a metro station up to 20 minutes away).

Safety is important, especially now that we have a baby. Although not a requirement, we would love to have a walkable neighborhood (walk to the store, restaurants, etc). Is this a reasonable request? Are there some good, affordable communities perhaps in Maryland or Virginia that would accommodate our needs?

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Old 05-12-2014, 11:25 PM

560 posts, read 1,129,710 times
I rent a room for 600 utilities separate though. It's on Randolph Place. I think it's called Eckington , the neighborhood is.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 17,755 times
Default Confessions of a Maryland Resident.

It was a mistake to choose to live in Maryland. The taxes are very high (income, real estate and sales), the public schools are not as good as Virginia. Montgomery County has a higher tax than the rest of the state and the taxes are used to support the rest of the state. The roads are crowded and the public transport poor. If you are going to live and work around DC, I would recommend Virginia, unless you can afford to live in DC.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 17,076 times
Now it's 2014 and you should consider a budget of at least $1500 for a studio though many newly built buildings are no cheaper than $2000. Neighborhoods are being gentrified and renamed. The old greyhound station has been rolled into union station as they are building up the neighborhood now known as NOMA. It used to be the seedy neighborhood near ibiza now ibiza is the releck of the neighborhood. I live in downtown and it is well worth the money. Don't have a car and don't need one because everything is in walking distance including work and nightlife. If it really came down to it you could use the many buses or metro or get a ZipCar, enterprise or car 2 go to get around.

Also Marijuana has been decriminalized here in DC so as long as you are not on federal property with less than 1 oz of weed you pay a $25 fine and don't drop it on the floor or you'll pay another $75 for littering. For more details visit the MPD website mpd.dc.gov

Last edited by CapitalStep; 10-05-2014 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: Marijuana is a major political issue for many.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:53 PM

132 posts, read 355,136 times
I can't believe this thread is still a sticky from 2011. A lot has changed in DC since then. Does anyone else out there agree? Just wondering.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:54 PM

15 posts, read 33,608 times
ooking for guidance on realistic expectations while starting to apply to jobs in the area.

Me: 27/M. 6 years experience in financial industry, currently a Senior Financial Analyst for a Financial Marketing company. Salary is 72k in Ohio looking to relocate. I will probably hit 76 at year end with a 7k bonus. I'm single and will be living alone.

How aggressive is in thinking of landing an SFA role at company (preferably Tech industry or Finance Industry) with a salary of $90k+? My thoughts are that with the cost of living difference between Columbus and D.C., I should shoot for that range especially if i want to live in a decent apt in the city.

Is that realistic? With the timing of the bonus being in early february i would look to move after then. What negotiation threshold should I accept that's realistic for the city? For those in finance that relocated to the city as well were you successful in gaining a relocation package?

Is it better to apply via headhunters at like Randstad for example? Or to just outright apply on the company sites.

thanks to those that respond.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:08 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,752,078 times
Don't move here. The End.

Go find your happiness somewhere else. Money isn't the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC