Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2011, 03:28 AM

3 posts, read 6,447 times

Advertisements

We're relocating to DC from the west coast in two months. I'm planning on taking my son with me on the red line from Silver Springs to the Dupont Circle station (near his daycare) on my way to work in the morning. I'm worried that there will be problems with taking an umbrella stoller on the metro during the rush hour periods (we'll be traveling daily around 8 am and 5 pm). I don't want to inconvenience other people, but I don't have many options other than to take the stroller. Is this considered bad form? Is it normal to see toddlers/babies in strollers on the metro during business hours? Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 08:55 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,801,232 times
Strollers are commonplace on metro. Working parents and daycare. Try to park the stroller in a neutral spot out of the way of rushhour people traffic.

Several things some riders don't like

Strollers
Boxes
Backpacks
large flower arrangements
Balloons

Old 03-05-2011, 09:47 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,717,044 times
I wouldn't worry about it. Not much people can do. You have a stroller and a right to use the trains as much as anybody. You'll find a lot of people will play games with and wave at your child.

Just try, as best you can, to avoid standing in the door or at least be willing to step off and back on to get out of the way at stops that aren't yours. Also - take the elevator, not the escalator. If you're blocking the escalator with your stroller, you will both be in violation of the rules and really annoy a lot of people.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:09 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,843,493 times
During rush hour is a bad idea though. The trains get packed! If you must, ride the first or last car for less crowded trains.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:00 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,917,101 times
Certainly you'll earn less irritation by using an umbrella stroller than one of those giant bugaboos. But even on an uncrowded train, there's really no good place for strollers.

It's for this reason, I believe, that the rules actually say you're supposed to fold the stroller when boarding the train. Obviously during rush hour this is problematic because it's not likely that you'll get a seat, so you'll have to hold the child, the stroller, your bag, and a pole, while the train is moving. Rather hard.

If you have to do it, you have to. Just be prepared that it may be difficult to get both you and the stroller on the train during peak times so you may have to wait for another train, and people are really going to be jostling you and tripping over the stroller if you don't fold it up.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:52 AM

311 posts, read 844,505 times
I think from Silver Spring to Dupont in the morning you should be fine....usually the redline cars are pretty empty and don't start filling up until it comes to Silver Spring so you'll have your first pick of seats even during Rush Hour. Just be sure to try to be the first one in line to get on the train (and usually people will move over to let you and your baby get on first) and you'll be ok.

Heading back from Dupont to Silver Spring might be an entirely different beast(expect huge crowds during rush hour esp the time you're going) but at least you'll know that cars start emptying out a bit at Union Station and NY Avenue. Just be sure to find a seat NO MATTER WHAT before you hit Metro Center, even if you have to gain some type of sympathy from another passenger lol. You do not want to be cramped like a sardine (not even kidding) on a train with a stroller standing up once you hit Metro Center.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:14 AM

198 posts, read 926,665 times
I've commuted in at rush hour many times with an umbrella stroller. You'll be fine. BTW, there is no rule that you have to fold your stroller when on the metro. You have to fold the stroller when on a metro bus.

When my daughter was an infant (pre-crawling), I would carry her in a front carrier and then use my stroller for storage. (She would come into the office with me one day per week). I agree with the advice to try to use the first or last car and see if you can get an out of the way spot on the train. During rush hour people get most annoyed about strollers blocking the escalators. Using the elevators can add significant time for you, but will make your fellow riders happy. . When my daughter was an infant, I would carry her in a front carrier and fold the stroller so I could use the escalator.

The one nice thing about a stroller is that on a very crowded train, if you are standing, you automatically have something to hold onto and to steady you. Bring your child entertainment/food. There is nothing worse than a screaming infant on a metro train during commute times.

My last piece of advice is to buy a quality umbrella stroller if you are going to do this everyday. You want something sturdy and very lightweight.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:52 PM

3 posts, read 6,447 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your feedback and all your helpful advice. We're still trying to find a way around it, but it's comforting to hear that it is possible to do this.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,569 times
We are moving to DC this summer as well and as we are still unsure where we are going to live, we have not been able to secure a childcare spot. Any advice on how you found a place for your little one? I have heard that the waiting lists are very long and this has been the biggest cause of stress regarding our move. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Old 03-20-2011, 07:15 AM

207 posts, read 537,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rill View Post
We're relocating to DC from the west coast in two months. I'm planning on taking my son with me on the red line from Silver Springs to the Dupont Circle station (near his daycare) on my way to work in the morning. I'm worried that there will be problems with taking an umbrella stoller on the metro during the rush hour periods (we'll be traveling daily around 8 am and 5 pm). I don't want to inconvenience other people, but I don't have many options other than to take the stroller. Is this considered bad form? Is it normal to see toddlers/babies in strollers on the metro during business hours? Thanks for your input.
You should be fine. Like someone said try to sit in the seats by the doors. Be sure the locks are on the wheels. Besides if people can get on with bikes, your stroller should be no issue. Sometimes not all people in the seats near the doors will get up for you. Cant promise this but I've seen it happen. Also the trains before 8am, say around 730-745 aren't always as crowded. At least in my experience. Oh and the Grovesnor trains again at least where I'm coming from (Takoma, one stop after yours) are never as crowded as the Shady Grove trains.

Again, you'll be fine. Just yesterday I was on the green line with two young ladies with kids in umbrella strollers, no one seemed to mind. Its a necessary thing for moms and dads with babies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC