Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 12:27 PM

195 posts, read 473,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Not only that, but the area around the metro station isn't quite as safe either. A poster on the MD suburbs posted this map for murders between 2005-2010. You can see there have been 10 murders that have happened from about a mile radius from the station. To put this in perspective, only about 35 incidents happened at Addison Road Metro, 13 of which were robberies, but you can see on the map there are about 21 murders that happened around there. Do you not think that's dangerous? Of course murders almost never happened at Metro stations, but I think the surrounding area has a lot to do with how safe these places are.
Are there some neighborhoods or areas around the mall or within a mile of the mall that are less safe than others? Yes. But your original statement was:

Quote:
It is considered one of the most dangerous metro stations and I would put it up there as a dangerous place. People think because it has nice new shops that it's nice over there but it is very dark and all types of things happens at this stop.
That implies to me the immediate area around the stop, not a mile away. Only one of the murders on that map occurred in the immediate area around the Metro and nearby developments, specifically a (possibly targeted) killing at the UTC Towers ( Man killed in Univ. Town Center lived with Howard student - News - The Diamondback - University of Maryland (http://www.diamondbackonline.com/2.2795/man-killed-in-univ-town-center-lived-with-howard-student-1.282414 - broken link) ; Howard Student and Man, 18, Are Arrested in Fatal February Shooting - washingtonpost.com ).

Just to look at a different stop in the system, would you consider Huntington a place where "all types of things happen"? It had eight murders within a mile of the Fairfax County side of the stop during the same time period -- All murders in Fairfax City and County, VA 2005-2010 . The linked mapmaker didn't create a murder map for Alexandria, so I'm not sure how many, if any, murders happened within a mile of the station across the city-county line during the same time frame.

I understand the point you're making, but as someone who uses that Metro stop and who lives in the area, the "one of the most dangerous" labels rings false.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 02:32 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,994,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCR25 View Post
Are there some neighborhoods or areas around the mall or within a mile of the mall that are less safe than others? Yes. But your original statement was:

That implies to me the immediate area around the stop, not a mile away. Only one of the murders on that map occurred in the immediate area around the Metro and nearby developments, specifically a (possibly targeted) killing at the UTC Towers ( Man killed in Univ. Town Center lived with Howard student - News - The Diamondback - University of Maryland (http://www.diamondbackonline.com/2.2795/man-killed-in-univ-town-center-lived-with-howard-student-1.282414 - broken link) ; Howard Student and Man, 18, Are Arrested in Fatal February Shooting - washingtonpost.com ).
The only reason why I bring up the surrounding parts is because I doubt anyone would just ride to PG Plaza step out to the parking lot every day then walk back in the station and go home. If people are going up there then more than like they are either going to the mall, the new shops next to the Metro, or the Town Center across from the mall. In other words, they are probably going to walk some distance away from the station, so then the surrounding areas should be considered a part of determining how safe a station is. You may not agree, but that's just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCR25 View Post
Just to look at a different stop in the system, would you consider Huntington a place where "all types of things happen"? It had eight murders within a mile of the Fairfax County side of the stop during the same time period -- All murders in Fairfax City and County, VA 2005-2010 . The linked mapmaker didn't create a murder map for Alexandria, so I'm not sure how many, if any, murders happened within a mile of the station across the city-county line during the same time frame.

I understand the point you're making, but as someone who uses that Metro stop and who lives in the area, the "one of the most dangerous" labels rings false.
Yes I consider Huntington a place where all types of things happen. I live 5 minutes from Huntington, I drive through that area all the time, I wouldn't ever walk around there. Even with that said, if you look at the Fairfax County map around Huntington and the PG map around PG Plaza there is a noticable difference in the number of murders. If I consider Huntington dangerous, you can only imagine what I think of other stations like PG Plaza. I also don't think the fact that the map doesn't include the city of Alexandria really matters because it's most highways on that side and if there was any thing that happened around the interstate it would probably be linked more to Eisenhower Avenue than Huntington.

I guess we have different standards of what we consider safe. Some may say I'm overly conservative, but I just believe PG County should hold it's standards as high as Fairfax and anything less is unacceptable.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:07 PM

195 posts, read 473,823 times
Quote:
The only reason why I bring up the surrounding parts is because I doubt anyone would just ride to PG Plaza step out to the parking lot every day then walk back in the station and go home. If people are going up there then more than like they are either going to the mall, the new shops next to the Metro, or the Town Center across from the mall. In other words, they are probably going to walk some distance away from the station, so then the surrounding areas should be considered a part of determining how safe a station is. You may not agree, but that's just my opinion.
In which case a 1 mile radius isn't really the best judge of safety. You need to look at the attractions and the areas between that and the Metro. In that direction the only murder is the 2008 one at UTC, which doesn't appear, based upon the limited press reports I can find, to have been a random crime.

Quote:
I guess we have different standards of what we consider safe. Some may say I'm overly conservative, but I just believe PG County should hold it's standards as high as Fairfax and anything less is unacceptable.
It's not that I hold Prince George's County to a lower standard than Fairfax, I just that it seems the default perception of Prince George's means it would have to become so much better than Fairfax to be considered equal. And that perception is one of the roadblocks to people and businesses coming to the county (and before I'm accused of whitewashing things, yes, I know the problems owe a lot to past pay-for-play politicians and other factors in the county).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: