Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 01:09 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,547,627 times

Advertisements

Intellectual Meat Market Makes Washington Long Odds for Single Women - Bloomberg

Quote:
Washington has the highest ratio of women to men compared with all 50 states -- 112 females for every 100 males, Census Bureau figures show. Among residents between ages 20 and 39 in the city of 601,723, women outnumber men by 13,716, up from about 6,000 a decade ago, according to census data.

Speed-dating events for singles with professional degrees sell about 50 percent more tickets here than in most other U.S. cities, according to the head of one social networking group. People marry so late in life that Washington has more infertility experts than most places, said one sociologist.
This article doesn't make much sense because D.C. is a Mecca for the "Well-Rounded Individual".

D.C. is the type of place where young people "work to live" rather than "live to work".

In D.C., your job is merely a way to finance your true passion...whatever that may be.

If you want to live in a city where people waste their lives in pursuits that involve lots of paperwork (but have little real meaning when you really just slow down and think about it) move to Nashville or New Orleans or some other town where one's Blackberry is surgically attached to one's body.

But don't move to D.C. because Washington is not full of those kinds of people.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:22 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,807,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Intellectual Meat Market Makes Washington Long Odds for Single Women - Bloomberg

This article doesn't make much sense because D.C. is a Mecca for the "Well-Rounded Individual".

D.C. is the type of place where young people "work to live" rather than "live to work".

In D.C., your job is merely a way to finance your true passion...whatever that may be.

If you want to live in a city where people waste their lives in pursuits that involve lots of paperwork (but have little real meaning when you really just slow down and think about it) move to Nashville or New Orleans or some other town where one's Blackberry is surgically attached to one's body.

But don't move to D.C. because Washington is not full of those kinds of people.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:04 PM

349 posts, read 991,459 times
That's a good article. Thanks for posting.

Unfortunately, the author couldn't be more wrong. DC doesn't have a lot of single women right now, it's an absolute sausage fest at the moment, and it's been like that for 3 years.

But I'll concede it was true at one point in time, around the mid-2000's. (5 years ago.) In recent years, however, women have left DC.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:55 PM

339 posts, read 837,208 times
You know why this is dumb. It's because most people don't live in DC. The metro area itself i think has about 8+ million people.

Do these idiots realize that there is a huge military-industrial complex here. Or the the fact that there is a big IT sector in Northern VA and a big bio-pharmaceutical presense in MD. These companies hire mostly MEN. So all these military guys, computer programmers, government drones, lawyers/lobbyists and scientist nerds are going to skew the ratio.

I've said it many times on this board and I'll say it again. DC is a SAUSAGEFEST. Even the most average looking girls here ARE NOT SINGLE.

There is 50,000 active users on OKCUPID eh? But what they didn't say is how many of those 50,000 are men(I'm guessing close to 45k)

If you're women between 20-35 and you live in the DMV and you are still single it can only be for these 3 reasons.

1) You are a workaholic who CHOOSES to be single.
2) You are extremely overweight.
3)You have no social circle and you CHOOSE to not go out on the weekends or join social groups/online dating sites.

Why do these articles keep popping up? They are gonna trick all you single guys out there into coming here. LOL

Old 06-06-2011, 05:56 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,697,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post

New Orleans or some other town where one's Blackberry is surgically attached to one's body.
lol

Old 06-06-2011, 06:30 PM

"Just the facts, ma'am."

Anyone who claims there are lots of single women in DC, please go ahead and try to refute the below photographic evidence of their relatively severe shortage, actually.

All of these pictures were taken just last week, at some of DC's most popular hangouts.

Ozio Rooftop

Ultrabar

Josephine

Current

My opinion is that people who don't know anything about DC shouldn't be writing articles about it. You should just ask the people who live here.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:43 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,911,216 times
The statistics in that article are pretty much meaningless, and not just because it was written in new york. There are 112 women for every 110 men. This is merely a gender measurement. It doesn't measure how many of either gender are single, or how many wish they weren't single.

And most women here (or most places, actually), wouldn't consider a musician from the East Village to be something to brag about.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:57 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,697,329 times
I've never understood the allure of clubs.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I've never understood the allure of clubs.
All right, let's leave clubs aside for a moment.

When I want to get coffee, I'll go into a Starbucks, and I see dozens of lonely men sitting there by themselves, staring out the window. Dozens, of all ages, young and middle aged. There are almost no women. Try it someday. Go to your local coffee shop, either in MD or VA or DC, and tell me who you see there.

It looks like the men in this area are doomed to loneliness right now, not the women, contrary to the title of that article.

I'm not complaining, I'm just requesting that people shouldn't misrepresent the facts. The facts are indisputable.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:22 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,210,300 times
For what it's worth. Most of those numbers are high populations of black women in DC, well above the numbers of black men in DC.

Sounds like this article is being spun to sound like there are a gazillion rich yuppie women looking for boy toys, but can't find any. I'm sure that's not the case at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC