Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2011, 02:02 PM

58 posts, read 147,264 times

Advertisements

Should I move to DC?
I am 24 and looking for work in DC , particulary work for non-profits in hopes that I could go back to school for my Masters in Public Health. I have considered moving there for a few months so that I could apply in person for some positions and also have an in state address for my resume/cover letter. Most positions require local residency. I have enough saved to support myself, and if I don't find a job... that's pretty much it for me as far as my dream of living in the DC area. Is this a good idea? What are the job prospects in DC and would an in state address help any?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 02:10 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,984 times
It's going to be pretty impossible for us to say what the job prospects will be for you because no one here has read your resume and knows about your qualifications.
But I would say this: What is the worst that could happen if you move here and look for a job? You spend money on rent for a few months? In that case, at least you tried and you can move on to something else.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:15 PM

220 posts, read 548,171 times
I think that it would definitely be easier to find a job if you move here. I've had some friends who moved here to seek employment and it worked out for them. Of course no one can know if/when you'd find a job, but in general it would be much more likely that you'd find one if you move here than if you don't.

Would you be giving up another job to come here? It seems like the major costs would be the costs of supporting yourself in DC if you don't find a job (which you indicate you can afford) and any potential job you'd give up to come here (which you don't indicate).

Old 07-12-2011, 04:44 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,459,112 times
Unless you have enough money to last you 6-8 months, I wouldn't advocate moving here without having a job lined up. It's a very competetive job environment.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinghere View Post
I think that it would definitely be easier to find a job if you move here. I've had some friends who moved here to seek employment and it worked out for them. Of course no one can know if/when you'd find a job, but in general it would be much more likely that you'd find one if you move here than if you don't.

Would you be giving up another job to come here? It seems like the major costs would be the costs of supporting yourself in DC if you don't find a job (which you indicate you can afford) and any potential job you'd give up to come here (which you don't indicate).
I am unemployed, so no, I'm not giving anything up.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:09 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzcnic View Post
Should I move to DC?
I am 24 and looking for work in DC , particulary work for non-profits in hopes that I could go back to school for my Masters in Public Health. I have considered moving there for a few months so that I could apply in person for some positions and also have an in state address for my resume/cover letter. Most positions require local residency. I have enough saved to support myself, and if I don't find a job... that's pretty much it for me as far as my dream of living in the DC area. Is this a good idea? What are the job prospects in DC and would an in state address help any?
I'm not in DC, but I am originally from Michigan.

If you are 24 and probably single, and probably going to be renting...than go for it.

The very worst case scenario is you have to drive back the 12-15 hours to Michigan and waste gas money getting back to MI. The rent would be a little higher than MI, but we all have to rent somewhere anyways, so it's not that big of a loss. Just get a roommate share situation in DC, and you're all set.

Personally, I think it's only when people are selling and buying houses, and trying to get kids into public school, and trying to find employment for both the husband and wife....that's when people should be VERY cautious about major moves.

But a kid out of college who most likely only rents, and who probably doesn't even need to rent a U-Haul to move whatever little he/she has (or should have)...than not a big issue.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:59 AM

220 posts, read 548,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzcnic View Post
I am unemployed, so no, I'm not giving anything up.
If you're unemployed, I think that you're much more likely to find work in your field in DC than in Michigan. I lined but a job before coming here, but I had friends in your situation, and it worked out for them (although some of them had to do a few months of unpaid or low-paid internships before landing a permanent position). If you have savings and aren't giving much up to come here, the worst is that you decide it isn't working out here and head back home.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:02 PM

607 posts, read 1,216,942 times
I say go for it. The DC job market is competitive, but there area lot more jobs to go around than in Michigan. It took me 6 weeks to land a full time temp position and then 3 more months until I started a full time permanent position in my field after I moved here from Indiana. I started using a friends DC address on my resume a few weeks before moving out here. From my experience, most employers won't pay attention to your application for an entry level job if you don't have a local address or a connection.

I don't think you need to have 6-8 months of living expenses saved...2 or 3 months worth should be fine. I'd suggest subletting a place until you know if and where you want to stay and sign a long term lease or until have the money to move all of your stuff out here. I was surprised to find that there were so many furnished sublets in the area. I ended up taking a 6 mo sublet from someone who was on a work assignment abroad and figured if it didn't work out in 6 months, I'd just go back home. Really happy I did it. Good luck!

Old 07-19-2011, 02:57 PM

Yes, I plan on 3 months... Thanks for all the advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC