Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2011, 09:12 PM

33 posts, read 82,747 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm thinking of rooming with one or two other guys, and we are trying to find 2 or 3 bdrm places that run around 900-1000 per person. We are all mid 20s professionals/grad students. We are looking for something off the Orange Line (preferably Clarendon, Courthouse or Rosslyn), Red line (Adams Morgan/Dupont, etc) or in Capitol Hill.

Is this a realistic expectation? It seems to be pretty difficult to land places where the per person rent is less than 1150. Seems pretty steep. I've been in DC for a couple months, but I got the impression that 1000/per person is standard.

Anyways, I'd like to hear your thoughts about this situation and any suggestions of where to look.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 11:13 PM

47 posts, read 93,855 times
I live in a 4 person house by Courthouse metro, we pay approx $900 per person.
2 block from metro, and I can park my car in a driveway.
It's doable. I just moved here a month ago too, this isn't an old price or anything.
Look for houses for rent on craigslist.
This is the most I have paid too. My first apartment was in downtown Silver Spring. 4 bedroom apartment was $1900 total. I paid $475, all utilities included. (Summit Hills).

Dupont/Adam's morgan will be more $$.
I have 2 friends who live on Florida and 18th (South end of AM and East end of U street) however. 2 bedroom is about $2000. They are moving out at the end of the month. I could get you info on that one. It's small and has a half ass kitchen, but does have washer and dryer in it.

There are also some places near the National's stadium that were about $800 per person last time I looked.

Are you looking at the specific areas for nightlife? H Street NW is undergoing massive changes. The price may be a little artificially high there, but I haven't looked, maybe it is not.

I just found a bunch of places on Craigslist. I won't post them here, because they will just expire, but if you put in 3br and a location, you can find a lot.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:31 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,577,413 times
I'm pretty sure Scott is referring to H Street Northeast, not Northwest.

But yes it is doable. I have a 2 br on the Hill for under $2000. You just have to scour Craigslist like it's your job, and also actually go to places you are interested in, walk around, look for "for rent" signs.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:42 AM

607 posts, read 1,217,411 times
Yep, it's doable. Nice places in DC go fast so I'd suggest responding to ads quickly and bringing your checkbook to any open houses you attend. I live in a 3bdr in Ballston and no one pays over $900. During my housing search, I found that the prices are a little more in Clarendon and comparable in Rosslyn and Courthouse. Good luck, i'm sure you'll find a suitable place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC