Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2011, 09:27 AM

270 posts, read 833,114 times

Advertisements

Jobs at Johns Hopkins Hospital and FDA White Oak to be exact. Currently, we live a block away from FDA so my wife drives and I walk. My wife is a fairly green driver, so she felt a little stressful driving about 40-50 min to Baltimore (one way) every day. She's getting familiar with the roads and surroundings which helped a lot for the driving (two weeks now), but still she did not think it was a fun ride.

She brought out this idea last night, saying why not move to union station area, then she could take Marc to penn station and I could use metro to work. Well, the marc ride for her would be at least 70-80mins, and metro for me would be about 45min to the campus.

some facts about cost:
1. Currently we have one car, but it's v6, so about one fill-up per week for her driving, so around $200 per month roughly.

2. Our current rent is about $1100 per month for a 1br1ba apt (all included).

3. our current location is right off 29 and 650, so she drives on 29-32-I95 to baltimore, normally take 95-495-650 (new hampshire ave) to back. Always 45min+ per trip.

4. We thought about moving along 29 or 95 north, most likely columbia, md. But that only saves about 10 min driving for her but add another 30min + a car for me. (rough estimate based on the location of some better rated apartments in columbia).

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 10:24 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,584 times
Well there isn't really a residential "union station area." It's mostly office buildings, restaurants and hotels and such around the train station. Safety also gets a bit dicey when you go north of the station.
But Capitol Hill is a great neighborhood and has many residences within walking distance to Union Station. $1100 I think is certainly possible for a 1 bedroom around there, so look on the Hill.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:22 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Seems kind of non-chivalrous to have your newbie driving wife make that type of commute. If the over riding concern is to have your wife go without a car, which sounds like is very important to her than moving to Union Station maybe a decent option. Personally I would prefer driving to a nearly 2 hr car-free commute.

Ever considered moving to Baltimore or it's southern suburbs?

Old 08-29-2011, 03:12 PM

270 posts, read 833,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Seems kind of non-chivalrous to have your newbie driving wife make that type of commute. If the over riding concern is to have your wife go without a car, which sounds like is very important to her than moving to Union Station maybe a decent option. Personally I would prefer driving to a nearly 2 hr car-free commute.

Ever considered moving to Baltimore or it's southern suburbs?
Well, we had no choice. I moved here a year ago when my wife was still finishing up the studies in NC. The current lease ends in Nov.

Back to the topic, is there reputable/recommended housing around that region. A friend of mine who works in the Capitol said it would be a longer walk from the backside of Capitol Hill than from Chinatown where there were also a few good high-rise apt buildings. He does not speak out any specifics, so I just have this rough impression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC