Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 02:24 PM
yrb

91 posts, read 220,355 times

Advertisements

There are many apartment/condo buildings around the Grosvenor metro station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 08:28 AM

10 posts, read 14,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrb View Post
There are many apartment/condo buildings around the Grosvenor metro station.
oh, is that area relatively cheap and safe?

PS - THANK YOU guys alot for helping me out !! And if you find out more places, do let me know.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:01 AM
yrb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101nemesis View Post
yes and yes

Old 10-11-2011, 10:46 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,663 times
-Does the university have a housing office? They may at least have rental ads, etc. on file.
-Check out newspaper ads, Web sites and even contact a property manager (those folks, either separate or part of a larger real estate office, specializing in rentals; Long & Foster, many others) to compare prices, specifying what features you want. Always best to see the place first, of course. Be sure to confirm if it's a month-to-month rental or a lease with a minimum period of, say, 12 months.
-Silver Spring is not an actual city but is a large unincorporated portion of Montgomery County, some of it inside (south of) the Beltway, most of it outside. Some parts are near Metro stations, some far. From some parts you could get to Bethesda quickest by bus (either Metro bus or Montgomery County bus). Check Metro - Home page, which has a trip planner and a map showing rail and bus lines. SS covers such a wide area that it's impossible to give any average rental price. Ideally I'd aim for a place that is just one bus line or one rail line from your school (i.e., don't have to change trains or busses). The part of DC closest to Bethesda is pricey. If you can afford it, I'd aim for Montgomery County.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:35 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
You keep asking about cheap and safe. There's nothing remotely dangerous anywhere near Bethesda but cheap and safe rarely coexist in metro DC.

Everything on the Metro's Red Line from Dupont Circle up to Shady Grove will be safe but with different feels (some are established urban, some new urban, some very suburban). So, figure out what type of environment you want, pick one or two neighborhoods / cities to really explore, and you should be able to find someone looking for a roommate or another member of a group house that you can afford.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:53 AM

27,568 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101nemesis View Post

PS - THANK YOU guys alot for helping me out !! And if you find out more places, do let me know.
Look into apartments close to all the metro stations from Grosvenor up to Rockville (and maybe even Shady Grove) and see what price point/roommates/location you're comfortable with.

Even though I mentioned Silver Spring, it may be less of a good option because of the way the metrorail system is laid out. Once the Purple Line light rail gets completed, things will change. But that won't happen for many years.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 10-11-2011 at 12:11 PM..

Old 10-11-2011, 12:06 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,564,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrb View Post
yes and yes
Grosvenor isn't cheap. It may not be astronomical as bethesda/upper NW DC is, but it still isn't cheap.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:38 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Look into apartments close to all the metro stations from Grosvenor up to Rockville (and maybe even Shady Grove) and see what price point/roommates/location you're comfortable with.

Even though I mentioned Silver Spring, it may be less of a good option because of the way the metrorail system is laid out. Once the Purple Line light rail gets completed, things will change. But that won't happen for many years.
Right. Silver Spring practical only if going by bus or driving. A pain to loop all the way through downtown DC on Metro rail . www.wmata.com can give schedules, routes from specific locations in SS. When I lived in SS, I took the bus Rockville and Bethesda, though usuallydrove.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:39 PM
yrb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Grosvenor isn't cheap. It may not be astronomical as bethesda/upper NW DC is, but it still isn't cheap.
he asked if it's *relatively* cheap

Old 10-14-2011, 11:44 PM

230 posts, read 859,952 times
Where's your internship? Depending on where you have to go, downtown Silver Spring could work for you (there's a J4 express bus from SS to Bethesda metro station), or Wheaton/ Kensington might also be an option (#34 Ride On bus to Bethesda).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: