Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 12:57 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The big difference is that the U.S. does not share a border with Poland, Greece, Italy or Russia. The U.S. does, however, share a border with Mexico. As long as this is the case, we will always have fresh Hispanic immigrants, ESL programs, and Telemundo.

New England still shares a border with Quebec, just as it did when the "unassimilable" Quebecers were flooding in. Yet today the USA has precious few Quebecer immigrants, and whatever French language ESL programs we have are presumbly mostly for Haitians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 01:57 PM

32,109 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
New England still shares a border with Quebec, just as it did when the "unassimilable" Quebecers were flooding in. Yet today the USA has precious few Quebecer immigrants, and whatever French language ESL programs we have are presumbly mostly for Haitians.
Yeah, but we're talking about how many francophone Quebecois versus how many Spanish-speaking Central Americans flooding over the border?

Old 10-03-2011, 02:23 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yeah, but we're talking about how many francophone Quebecois versus how many Spanish-speaking Central Americans flooding over the border?
Of course there are more central americans. The point is, the flow dried up when Quebec birth rates plummeted, and Quebec wages rose. Just as happened with countries in europe. Proximity didnt change the driving forces. When wages in Mexico/central america rise enough, the flows from there will dry up (in fact we already get few immigrants from NORTHERN mexico, IIUC, due to high wages)

Old 10-03-2011, 02:36 PM

32,109 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Of course there are more central americans. The point is, the flow dried up when Quebec birth rates plummeted, and Quebec wages rose. Just as happened with countries in europe. Proximity didnt change the driving forces. When wages in Mexico/central america rise enough, the flows from there will dry up (in fact we already get few immigrants from NORTHERN mexico, IIUC, due to high wages)
That won't happen in our lifetimes. You didn't have MILLIONS of Quebecois fighting tooth and nail to get to this country. We have millions of immigrants from Mexico, Honduras, El Salvador, Bolivia, etc and that's not going to change anytime soon. Central America will not be on the EU's level in 50 years.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:34 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,995,391 times
We'll know that the immigration issue is color blind when they start raiding RV parks in AZ for Canadians.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:56 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
See, I don't think this is nessarily true. They may be more Hispanic whites than Non-Hispanic whites but they'll still be white people. Much like when all the Eastern European people came in mass to the US or when the Irish and Italians came in mass to the US. People panicked, then they became white and everything is fine. So, in my opinion, when 2030 or 2050 roll around, I doubt people will be using the term Hispanic as much.
Very astute observation especially when you factor in the relatively high out marriage rates among Hispanics and Asians. I suspect liberals and Blacks fantasizing about some grand coalition of a people of color to go up against racist white conservatives are going to be sorely disappointed.

My personal experience is that immigrants tend to be more open towards their negative attitudes towards Blacks than most white Americans.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:05 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
Wishful thinking on your end.

If people are immigrating from Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico, they are non-white Hispanic. There are some white Hispanics who emigrate from South America and some Caribbean nations but their numbers are pale (no pun intended) in comparison to the millions of rural peasants migrating from Mexico and Central America to the United States. Most Latino immigrants have a stronger indigenous racial matrix; they cannot be considered white under US Census Bureau guidelines.

You are considered white if both of your parents are white. If you have a black father and a white mother, you are not white. If you have a white father and an Asian mother, you are not white. If you are a Latino who has a small trace of European ancestry, this does not make you Hispanic white. If a Latino has two parents of pure European ancestry (no mixing with local indigenous cultures), then you would consider that person as a White Hispanic. And again, that number is quite small in the United States.
It's not wishful thinking, most Hispanics in America self identify as white.
In fact this goes back to the 30s when a group of Mexican Americans won a landmark Supreme Court Case where they argued a California school district could not legally segregate against them, not because segregation was wrong but because they were white.

Just because the majority of the DC area's Hispanic population is of indigenous Central American stock does not mean that's the story for the entire country. In places like California, a 4th generation Mexican American like Mark Sanchez is the norm even factoring the large illegal population there.

Quote:
When asked to identify their race, most Hispanics—62.5% in 2008—say they are white only. A small share—just 1.9%—self-identify as black only, and a sizeable minority—30.4%—self identifies with "some other race." Among non-Hispanics, by contrast, just 0.3% identify with "some other race."

Even though nearly one-third of Hispanics identified with "some other race" in 2008 that share is significantly less than in preceding years. Historically, about four-in-ten Hispanics have reported as being of some other race—37.7% in the 1980 census;1 43.2% in the 1990 census; 42.6% in the 2000 census and 39.7% in the 2007 ACS. The share persisted in that range despite several revisions in the race and Hispanic origin questions from census to census.

Why did the share of Hispanics identifying with some other race drop by nine percentage points from 2007 to 2008? The answer is not known definitively but a revision in the instructions may have contributed to that drop. The new instruction (in bold) in the 2008 ACS appears before the Hispanic-origin and race questions and is as follows: "NOTE: Please answer BOTH Question 5 about Hispanic origin and Question 6 about race. For this survey, Hispanic origins are not races." The same instruction appears in the 2010 census.
Statistical Profiles of the Hispanic and Foreign-Born Populations in the U.S. - Pew Hispanic Center

Old 10-03-2011, 08:31 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
If you have a white father and an Asian mother, you are not white.
I had the impression the kid was free to choose.

If they choose 'asian', than there are more educational choices, potential grants, etc. So, because of incentives like that, I'd imagine they'd want to choose 'asian'...

Although, the correct term would be 'eurasian', and there isn't a box to check for that.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:33 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,475,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Very astute observation especially when you factor in the relatively high out marriage rates among Hispanics and Asians. I suspect liberals and Blacks fantasizing about some grand coalition of a people of color to go up against racist white conservatives are going to be sorely disappointed.

My personal experience is that immigrants tend to be more open towards their negative attitudes towards Blacks than most white Americans.
Something you and I actually agree on. Its appears immigrants from all corners of the world can't wait to get her and display their negative attitudes toward black people here.

Blacks aren't fantasizing about some grand coalition of a people of color going up against some racist white conservatives. They already know whats really up.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:16 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
See, I don't think this is nessarily true. They may be more Hispanic whites than Non-Hispanic whites but they'll still be white people. Much like when all the Eastern European people came in mass to the US or when the Irish and Italians came in mass to the US. People panicked, then they became white and everything is fine. So, in my opinion, when 2030 or 2050 roll around, I doubt people will be using the term Hispanic as much.
I'm one of those Irish Catholic ones...with French (which was also Catholic)....

Up north, there are so many Catholics, that it isn't strange at all. I don't think we 'blended in', we just became the majority in most northern cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC