Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 04:58 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,754,456 times

Advertisements

This very forum people. I know you all have jobs (or not) that follows your political belief system (if you're fortunate enough in this economy).

So, what do we, historically, like to talk about here? Besides what it was built for, which is to share data about where to live, how much people make and where to go party.

Just curious with all that's happening in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 05:05 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,697,329 times
I find this forum's pretty neutral. There are some liberals, some conservatives, some libertarians, everything really.

I'm not so sure everybody's job jives completely with their political beliefs. I'm pretty libertarian but I still wanna work for the government, lol.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:17 PM

656 posts, read 648,821 times
Most people on this DC forum don't seem to have well-formed political views, other than being pro-gentrification, anti-gentrification, or anti-crime. It is rarely discussed here.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:25 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,754,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I find this forum's pretty neutral. There are some liberals, some conservatives, some libertarians, everything really.

I'm not so sure everybody's job jives completely with their political beliefs. I'm pretty libertarian but I still wanna work for the government, lol.
I understand. I'm the same way, that I chase TS/SCI Lifestyle Poly. But the thing about it is, I posted a thread about "Where do you live, What do you make" thread here, and I tend to agree that people below $70k post more here than most $70k and above people who tend to read more than post.

I think people are political, because they understand that idea of being political and knows how to act upon it, rather than actually being passionate about the specific political ideas, which they're party to. Which brings me to thinking that most politicians do not believe their parties ideas, but they struggle on everyday to make an idea of a party become much stronger despite their personal beliefs or passion. Because they thrive on connecting the dots to make an argument more than what's right and wrong.

But the thing is these people are very private.

My father once told me, "One day, you'll meet someone who shares your ideas and thoughts, despite the differences, to make sense of it. And you should keep that person in your life, because that person will help you make the world a better place". This was after I asked how he knew this certain general. And I didn't understand it before (I was 12), but I think I have a little understanding of what he meant then.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:46 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,210,300 times
Quote:
That's what I find, and appreciate this forum for it.

Most other cities, are overwhelmingly 'conservative' or 'liberal'.

The DC Forum seems to have a better insight that goes well beyond just party lines. Seems very balanced, and just informative.

I've been following the forum for maybe a year or two years, and seldom do I see fox news 'devotees' or extreme 'liberals'.

If, for the OP, there was a feeling, there was recently an escapee from the 'politics forum', who went on some anti-government workers rant for awhile, but his thread was closed down, and assumingly encourged to re-enter himself back into the politics forum ward.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:44 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,880,614 times
The city of DC itself is the most liberal city in the US, even more than SF. The metro area area gets more conservative as you get further from DC. It seems to be 50/50 overall.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:55 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,210,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
The city of DC itself is the most liberal city in the US, even more than SF. The metro area area gets more conservative as you get further from DC. It seems to be 50/50 overall.
DC more heavily votes 'Democratic', but it doesn't mean it's liberal. It's more a reflection of the demographics. You'll also see parts of Mississippi heavily voting Democratic, especially where a heavier black population lives. But, those Mississippi voters are far from liberal.

Than you have Democrat voters in states like Michigan or even West Virginia. They vote Democrat because of worker's issues, but not because their liberal.

When you get out west, like San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, etc. It's so much more liberal, that the Democratic Party is seen as modest, and the Republicans are seen as extremist. Therefore, you get more of the green party, communist party, and everything else that would subtract from Democratics.

I don't see Washington DC voters being all that interested in even a half of the liberal progressive issues going on in Northern California and the Pacific Northwest.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:25 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,697,329 times
I agree with Tiger Beer. Freakin' Compton just voted to ban smoking in apartment complexes. That prolly won't happen in DC for a while.

As much as I bemoan liberal politics, they're far less present in this region than in the West Coast.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:43 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,902,028 times
Quote:

DC is actually very conservative for a city its size. Sure people vote democrat, but this is no San Francisco.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:47 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,711,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
This is a one party town on the surface, but you just need to look at the last election to see that there is a clear "conservative" side and "liberal" side.

Fenty represented the conservative side focused on pro-market solutions, keeping government more or less in the background except for infrastructure development, and breaking the union control over schools (Michelle Rhee, supported almost entirely by Democrats in DC, became a Tea Party darling nationally).

Gray represents the liberal side, which is far more aligned with the unions and big government social justice initiatives. Both have their value for different audiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC