Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Live in DC - Married or Single?
Live in DC - Married 4 11.11%
Live in DC - Single 14 38.89%
Don't live in DC, follow the Forum - Married 9 25.00%
Don't live in DC, follow the Forum - Single 9 25.00%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 06:58 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times

Advertisements

Just thought I'd do a quick poll.

When I view the NoVA forums, it's almost entirely married people. The Maryland forums are kind of hit and miss, but generally married. The DC forum seems to mostly be younger single people.

But, just thought I'd take a poll, to see if that has any validity.

POLL consists of married and single, and if you live in DC or not. (I'll assume we have posters who regularly follow the forum, even though they live in MD, VA or elsewhere - who can all click their respective boxes)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 09:47 PM

220 posts, read 548,268 times
Do those who are in a long-term serious relationship/co-habitating/engaged/etc count as single?

Old 04-26-2012, 06:04 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,246,901 times
These articles came to mind.

Married couples at a record low - The Washington Post

DC is a more a singles town.

Church for single Mormons in Crystal City comes with pressure to marry - The Washington Post

Just thought this was interesting.

Census shows surge in gay couples in D.C. area; officials cite more honesty on forms - The Washington Post

You know I only know one guy who has legally done it. Then again where would I meet a quiet couple that doesn't like bars and such? The only couples I know are the party type. Which I'm sorry is how marriage should be. Some people think you're supposed to get married, move to the exurbs and wait for death. I want a partner in crime not a warden.

Number of long-lasting marriages in U.S. has risen, Census Bureau reports - The Washington Post

This a good thing. Some people rush into marriage that just don't need to be married. That was definitely the case for my parents.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinghere View Post
Do those who are in a long-term serious relationship/co-habitating/engaged/etc count as single?
Perhaps I should have used the terminology 'not married'. Probably messed up the poll.

People who are co-habitated, in relationships, etc. basically still function as a single person on their income.

People who are married, are probably married for the purpose of having kids. Which basically means that their living environment needs change.

I used the wrong word with 'single'. I suppose I meant it more as in a 'filling out your taxes' kind of way.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:25 AM

771 posts, read 1,459,958 times
I'm married and I don't live in DC, but I do follow the forum since I live in the Virginia suburbs and often go to DC.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
These articles came to mind.

Married couples at a record low - The Washington Post

DC is a more a singles town.

Church for single Mormons in Crystal City comes with pressure to marry - The Washington Post

Just thought this was interesting.

Census shows surge in gay couples in D.C. area; officials cite more honesty on forms - The Washington Post

You know I only know one guy who has legally done it. Then again where would I meet a quiet couple that doesn't like bars and such? The only couples I know are the party type. Which I'm sorry is how marriage should be. Some people think you're supposed to get married, move to the exurbs and wait for death. I want a partner in crime not a warden.

Number of long-lasting marriages in U.S. has risen, Census Bureau reports - The Washington Post

This a good thing. Some people rush into marriage that just don't need to be married. That was definitely the case for my parents.
Yeah, that's my interpretation too. Singles, gay communities, young, etc. Which makes complete sense.

I've also noticed that generally people who post on the DC forum, are generally within the aged 20-33 demographics.

Whereas when you go to the MD/VA forums, it generally seems to be more of a 33+ demographics. Generally. With many exceptions, but most of the advice seems to be addressed accordingly, and with the assumption that any advice seeker is a similar demographic with similar needs.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:01 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,565,715 times
I am married, live in NoVa, and am interested in possibly moving to DC (as empty nesters).

Old 04-26-2012, 11:00 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,246,901 times
Yeah so far the ones on the forum that live out the District are in the lead. I'm single, live in Virginia but I'm in the city all the time.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:29 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,939,774 times
Very few people in DC proper are married I know. I don't know a single married couple who lives there, I remember my cousin lived with her fiancee in DC for many years because they enjoyed the nightlife but they're married now and live in MoCo because they don't want their kids in DC schools. The only people who have families in DC are people too poor to get out or the ultra rich who can send their kids to private schools. Naturally, it brings the marriage rates up in surrounding areas since they rightfully view DC schools like the plague.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:39 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,889,029 times
My wife and I are newly minted DC residents after a year in Arlington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC