Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 12:32 PM

656 posts, read 648,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I told you that I was back and forth between the two most of my childhood.
That explains it. No one uses the term "uptown" in DC. You're getting your cities confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 12:34 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
I told you that I was back and forth between the two most of my childhood.
Kinda like how Wale is from DC, though never actually having lived in DC, except for the time he used to "stay with" his peeps in Petworth and kick it in the city on the weekends?

Old 12-01-2011, 12:49 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
You were part of the Uptown Crew?

I use to hang on 7th & Kennedy Street all the time with them dudes. Actually, it was 7th & Jefferson. I have seen some horrific violence take place in my younger days but I never participated in that type of activity.

I believe in karma too much. Fortunate for me, I had several older brothers who lived in Brooklyn, so I saw first hand how the streets could take you under. It was difficult but I knew that life didn't lead you anywhere. I knew all of those cats who were hustling back then and are now doing 30 years to life. A lot of them were misguided youth. I played football with this guy name Benny Lee Lawson. He walked into DC police headquarters and killed 2 FBI agents and a DC homicide cop because they was on to him about a few murders he committed.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Kinda like how Wale is from DC, though never actually having lived in DC, except for the time he used to "stay with" his peeps in Petworth and kick it in the city on the weekends?
Nope! I actually lived in Columbia Heights (14th & Irving) and (17th & Lanier) back in the day and then we moved to Petworth. Before that, I stayed on Bergen Street in Brooklyn and then Hoyt Street. Every summer, I would go back to Brooklyn until I was older enough to work.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
That explains it. No one uses the term "uptown" in DC. You're getting your cities confused.
What? Slim, where are you from. Most of NW DC is considered Uptown. Any local person from the DMV knows this.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...rm=uptown%20dc

Old 12-01-2011, 01:30 PM

246 posts, read 588,940 times
Quote:
What? Slim, where are you from. Most of NW DC is considered Uptown. Any local person from the DMV knows this.

Urban Dictionary: uptown dc
Granted, I may not be considered a local person as I only arrived 17 years ago, but I have never heard of anyone using the term uptown to refer to an area in DC. I would have assumed that it would refer to places like Cleveland Park had I heard it.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:35 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lackadaisi View Post
Granted, I may not be considered a local person as I only arrived 17 years ago, but I have never heard of anyone using the term uptown to refer to an area in DC. I would have assumed that it would refer to places like Cleveland Park had I heard it.
People say "Uptown" all the time. The Go-Go bands say it a lot. It generally means the area above Howard all the way up to Silver Spring between 16th Street and North Capitol. What part of DC do you live in?

Old 12-01-2011, 01:46 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times
Quote:
I believe in karma too much. Fortunate for me, I had several older brothers who lived in Brooklyn, so I saw first hand how the streets could take you under.
I know. I grew up in Brooklyn, though I managed to avoid Yeshiva of Flatbush and the JDL.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I know. I grew up in Brooklyn, though I managed to avoid Yeshiva of Flatbush and the JDL.
When I was around 10, my slightly older brother had a Summer Youth Job in Ft Greene. He was also beefing with some dudes over there about a girl. These dudes chased us all the way back across Flatbush back to Gowanus. LOL.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lackadaisi View Post
It's basically an AA thing! I'm shocked that people in the DMV have never heard it before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC