Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 11:14 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,716,773 times

Advertisements

Superstar (featuring Matthew Santos) (video) - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 10:53 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Which would you rather be, a professional who is considered slightly hipster, or one who is considered slightly ghetto? Be considered slightly hipster, and they will think you are creative and might even know about this social networking stuff.
True.

Hipsters are highly-educated.

The white equivalent to ghetto, would definitely be hick/redneck, etc.

I remember Donald Trump immediately fired one of his well-dressed candidates when he said he considered himself a 'redneck' at heart. (He didn't portray it, or looked like it at all, but just merely said it, and fired).

Old 12-07-2011, 10:08 AM

229 posts, read 515,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
True.

Hipsters are highly-educated.

The white equivalent to ghetto, would definitely be hick/redneck, etc.

I remember Donald Trump immediately fired one of his well-dressed candidates when he said he considered himself a 'redneck' at heart. (He didn't portray it, or looked like it at all, but just merely said it, and fired).
I don't think this to be the case, because I've observed hicks and rednecks offered more societal leeway, perhaps due to the fact that their attitude, values, and mannerisms tend to overlap with (or mistaken for) those of individuals from general country backdrops and traditional southern upbringing, whereas being ghetto is synonymous with acting as a living embodiment of the usual stereotypes and other host of issues prevalent within the urban framework.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:29 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,245,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
That is because people in DC will switch back and forth between working for Democrat to Republican, from liberal advocacy group to a defense contractor, at the drop of a hat. They will move from being a defense attorney to being a plaintiff's lawyer, as long as there is more money. It doesn't pay to have any core values in that environment.
One can work for a defense contractor and still be a liberal. I know plenty of liberal contractors.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
NCIS takes place in the Washington Navy Yard...
Anyone ever notice how a lot of the episodes end up in Woodbridge? Just something I notice and I don't watch the show religiously or anything like that.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RozCat View Post
True, yes, but this indeed is tricky. How many times have I heard white guys in the office comment snarkily on the dress of a styling black co-worker? ( "You're making us look bad"). By dressing *too* well you risk the assessment of being a fop or having no substance or being too materialistic or living beyond your means or just being uppity.
Ugh that sounds awful. I'm glad I work in polo and khaki central. Hardly anyone wears a tie in my office. One of the benefits of working outside the Beltway I suppose. Seems that the further one gets from DC the more casual the dress.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
There is a distinction to be made between casual and working class. The wife beater/mullet white guy is obviously an example of the latter, but there is such a thing as casual affluence, and it has taken hold in such areas as Silicon Valley.

There is certainly less African-American representation in that particular subculture, though it's hard to say if that's because of exclusion or just lack of interest on the part of African-Americans.

Perhaps the African-American middle class has simply not existed for long enough to develop its own casual subculture, though it seems to be emerging.
I dont' understand. I've never heard of a casual subculture. The African-American middle class has existed as long as there was a middle class because there were free black folks living in both northern and southern states. The only difference being that said class is now much larger.

Last edited by terrence81; 12-07-2011 at 01:56 PM..

Old 12-07-2011, 01:48 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,267,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I dont' understand. I've never heard of a casual subculture. The African-American middle class has existed as long as there was a middle class because there were free black folks living in both northern and southern states. The only difference being that said class is not much larger.
Bingo!

Old 12-07-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heartbreak Kid View Post
I'm growing a Rick Ross for the winter.
Ha! If I could rock a Rick Ross I'd be all about it. Good luck!

Old 12-07-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
I've never heard that, but I can tell you, being a black professional there is less of a leeway for how you dress. I've seen people in my office who look like they haven't shaved in months, wear the same clothes everyday and look like they just woke up out of bed, but given how few there are of us in the professional setting, if we did any of those things, it would be amplified and we'd probably be looking for a new job.
You know as a black professional in the VA burbs where there's hardly any of my countrymen, I don't really worry about it. I go with whatever the atmosphere dictates. I know how to rock a suit but usually I'm wearing a polo shirt and khakis and will still be better dressed than some of the IT guys. I don't get too caught up in worrying about dress these days. Although you have a point that we as black professionals have to be more careful. At the same time I'm not trying to win best dressed award or anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: