Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 08:25 PM

19 posts, read 40,226 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Within the next 6 months my boyfriend and I are looking to move out of Pittsburgh, PA. We are both in our late 20's, no kids, no pets, no car. I am a hairstylist, licensed in 2 states with a teachers license in cosmetology. I also have over 7yrs of experience in the administrative field and attending college for my BA in business management. My boyfriend doesn't have as much experience but is looking to attend a college for fashion retail or management. We are trying to figure out how hard would it be for us to get jobs that will pay us enough to live and not struggle. I would like to stay in the beauty industry but if I have to go back to office work I will. My boyfriend is looking for a job in the retail business. I don't know much about DC, do you guys think this is a city where people in the beauty/fashion industry can excel?

I am originally from NY, moving to Pittsburgh Was not a good choice career wise. NY was an option for us but the rent in NY is insane (mostly my reason for moving to Pittsburgh). Right now we have a 3bedroom apt for under $900 monthly in a really safe neighborhood close to downtown Pittsburgh. What is rent like in DC for a 2-3 bedroom? What neighborhoods are safe outside of downtown DC?

Would you recommend moving to Baltimore over DC? Any info you can provide would great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 08:39 PM

720 posts, read 1,555,704 times
If you left NY cause of the high cost of living, moving to DC is not going to be much different. It's also not an area for beauticians/fashion. I mean there are salons and stuff around like any other city, but nothing to call it a "fashion/beauty" industry.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:56 PM

DC Bossman Thanks for your response. Would you recommend baltimore over DC? As I mentioned in Pittsburgh were paying a little under $900 for the space we have, in NY an apartment this size would easily run for $1800, is rent like that in DC?

Old 12-03-2011, 09:23 PM

258 posts, read 534,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imstarjacks View Post
DC Bossman Thanks for your response. Would you recommend baltimore over DC? As I mentioned in Pittsburgh were paying a little under $900 for the space we have, in NY an apartment this size would easily run for $1800, is rent like that in DC?
baltimore would probably be better for you and the boyfriend. my wife and i live here but we may move back to pgh in june to save money to buy a house in either north carolina or georgia. our apt here in baltimore is $875 a month + ele but its bunny size yes, escape from pittsburgh fast!! only go back for emergencies or finances

Old 12-03-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adio View Post
baltimore would probably be better for you and the boyfriend. my wife and i live here but we may move back to pgh in june to save money to buy a house in either north carolina or georgia. our apt here in baltimore is $875 a month + ele but its bunny size yes, escape from pittsburgh fast!! only go back for emergencies or finances
Thanks... What is the job market like? Is it a city or advancement?

Old 12-04-2011, 08:37 AM

837 posts, read 1,799,219 times
Quote:
Right now we have a 3bedroom apt for under $900 monthly in a really safe neighborhood close to downtown Pittsburgh. What is rent like in DC for a 2-3 bedroom? What neighborhoods are safe outside of downtown DC?
DC will be much much worse. I'd venture at least $3000 a month for a 3 bedroom in a safe + convenient location (say in Arlington), and $4000 a month wouldn't be out of the question for some newer places. Even going quite far out (still safe, but not so high on the convenient scale) is going to be north of $2000, to get under $900 I imagine you'd have to look really really far out. Do not come to DC to save money. You won't. Also, if you aren't paying $3,000+ a month for your 3 bedroom (or $2,500 a month for a 2 bedroom) you wont be near public transport, in which case, you'll need a car: so add a few hundred a month in gas, another couple hundred for insurance, tags, parking stickers etc. I'm not usually one to be doom and gloom about DC cost of living, but in this case I REALLY think you'd be better off picking somewhere else.

Edit: I cant speak to the job opportunities in fashion/etc, but Chicago has a surprisingly good cost of living, good public transport, etc.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:11 AM

27,599 posts, read 28,706,672 times
I'm afraid neither DC nor Baltimore are going to be good for your price range. I doubt you will find any desirable neighborhoods with 3-bedroom apartments for anything close to $900.

DC has one of the highest COLs in the U.S.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotodc View Post
DC will be much much worse. I'd venture at least $3000 a month for a 3 bedroom in a safe + convenient location (say in Arlington), and $4000 a month wouldn't be out of the question for some newer places. Even going quite far out (still safe, but not so high on the convenient scale) is going to be north of $2000, to get under $900 I imagine you'd have to look really really far out. Do not come to DC to save money. You won't. Also, if you aren't paying $3,000+ a month for your 3 bedroom (or $2,500 a month for a 2 bedroom) you wont be near public transport, in which case, you'll need a car: so add a few hundred a month in gas, another couple hundred for insurance, tags, parking stickers etc. I'm not usually one to be doom and gloom about DC cost of living, but in this case I REALLY think you'd be better off picking somewhere else.

Edit: I cant speak to the job opportunities in fashion/etc, but Chicago has a surprisingly good cost of living, good public transport, etc.
Thank you. I don't mind paying more money in rent but if I'm going to spend $2500-3000 a month I can move back to NY lol. Since you guys are telling me DC/Balitmore isn't as fashion/beauty oriented as I expected I guess we'll have to look at some other cities closer to NY, maybe Philly????

Old 12-04-2011, 09:55 AM

720 posts, read 1,555,704 times
I mean when you talk of a fashion/beauty "industry" you aren't really going to find anything substantial outside of LA or NY IMO.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:15 AM

999 posts, read 2,012,696 times
Based on your boyfriend's career interest, you have limited choices for location. Unfortunately, for you guys, everything leads back to the Big Apple. Perhaps once your boyfriend gets his college degree, he might get a good job offer in NYC and you guys can afford to LIVE in the NYC region.

Otherwise, you might want to check out Los Angeles, CA and South Florida. Those regions might be the perfect fit for your background in cosmetology and your boyfriend's interest in fashion management. Plus, the weather is warmer in those parts of the country.

Washington, DC is not a good match for either of you.

Quote:
Hello,

Within the next 6 months my boyfriend and I are looking to move out of Pittsburgh, PA. We are both in our late 20's, no kids, no pets, no car. I am a hairstylist, licensed in 2 states with a teachers license in cosmetology. I also have over 7yrs of experience in the administrative field and attending college for my BA in business management. My boyfriend doesn't have as much experience but is looking to attend a college for fashion retail or management. We are trying to figure out how hard would it be for us to get jobs that will pay us enough to live and not struggle. I would like to stay in the beauty industry but if I have to go back to office work I will. My boyfriend is looking for a job in the retail business. I don't know much about DC, do you guys think this is a city where people in the beauty/fashion industry can excel?

I am originally from NY, moving to Pittsburgh Was not a good choice career wise. NY was an option for us but the rent in NY is insane (mostly my reason for moving to Pittsburgh). Right now we have a 3bedroom apt for under $900 monthly in a really safe neighborhood close to downtown Pittsburgh. What is rent like in DC for a 2-3 bedroom? What neighborhoods are safe outside of downtown DC?

Would you recommend moving to Baltimore over DC? Any info you can provide would great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC