Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2011, 01:52 PM

2 posts, read 3,827 times

Advertisements

I have also posted in the Maryland forum...

I'd love to hear any and all constructive feedback.

I currently live in DC and have a short, easy commute to work and grad school in Foggy Bottom. My fiance's job could potentially take her to Aberdeen Proving Ground north of Baltimore. We are targeting Columbia as a potential halfway (travel time, not mileage) point.

We realize this is going to be a major adjustment.

If anyone could share commuting options/experiences, it would be most appreciated. She would drive to post each day, and I plan to take the commuter bus and alternatively drive to greenbelt and take the metro on the days I would be in the city later than the bus operates. Thoughts? Are we crazy (this would be for two years)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 03:59 PM

837 posts, read 1,798,184 times
Wow, thats quite the stretch. I have no clue what the commute would be but will throw out the idea of overnighting one or two nights a week? I think you can actually pull it off nearly cost neutral if you play your cards right - I have no clue what gov rates are like, but I'd be willing to bet that if you approached one of the harder up Hilton Garden Inns and offered up 50% off their rack rate for say - 50 nights - they might just take it... or take a look at an extended stay america - they aren't fancy, but at $50 bucks a night (last I looked) not unreasonable (esp when you consider the cost of gas, etc). If you are willing to be clever with your stays that can be a meaningful amount of points. I spent about $12K on roughly 110 nights in the last year and a half and turned that into three weeks at various hotels which would have cost me about $500 a night. You arent going to make money doing it, but between the cost of gas, depreciation on the car, HHonors/SPG/IPG/whatever points you can bring your average cost per night down quite a lot.... Just something to consider: when you are looking at potential commutes like that one or two nights a week can really help your sanity. As a bonus, if shes expected to work late at all, a 5 minute commute to a hotel instead of a 2 hour commute makes it a lot easier to do (and then also easier to justify leaving a little early Friday, etc).

Last edited by chicagotodc; 12-02-2011 at 05:22 PM..

Old 12-02-2011, 08:59 PM

23 posts, read 44,316 times
I agree with the previous poster she should get a cheap place in Aberdeen just to sleep on the weekdays. You can get a one bedroom around there for probably like $700 a month.

Probably would be even better to rent a room in someones house. You should try and find some ultra conservative old lady who won't allow her to have any male guests. Like some really nosy christian who doesn't believe in sex out of wedlock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC