Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2012, 03:27 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,287,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
No one here wants DC to become the next NY, that would be atrocious for the reputations of both cities but DC can learn a thing or two from NY, particularly in 24/7 and nightlife.
I agree. Where DC strives in perhaps being more liveable (although this comes at the price of sheer density and overall population, which is the rest of a number of factors for both cities), it lacks in the 24/7 department greatly. I'm still in shock that the Planning Department actually has zoning laws that require places to close at 7pm. Even the 10pm closing time for many, if not most, stores in DC would be unfathomable in NYC, and I hope things start to change as the District's population starts becoming more demanding for vibrancy, even where it's prominent, such as U Street and Adams Morgan. Not to say there needs to be a club or bar everywhere, but at least having the majority of places stay open until midnight would do a world of difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 08:41 AM

4,605 posts, read 6,427,227 times
DC does not want to become like NYC, and that's a good thing.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:34 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owain1 View Post
Based on the comments here, DC is none of those things. It seems ignorant sorry to say.
Well there's your problem right there. You're basing your perceptions on the city upon the comments made by a few clowns on an internet message board?

I guess I have to ask: have you ever spent time on the NYC board here on C-D? Because "ignorance" doesn't begin to describe it.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:28 AM

86 posts, read 126,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Well there's your problem right there. You're basing your perceptions on the city upon the comments made by a few clowns on an internet message board?

I guess I have to ask: have you ever spent time on the NYC board here on C-D? Because "ignorance" doesn't begin to describe it.
I have never seen a "do you ever think NYC will be like (insert other US City)" thread.

In my original post I may have come off as harsh. DC has a lot going for it. Two examples, your fish market and surrounding countryside/ beaches/ access. Aside from a few hiking spots most of the New York region is boring. New Jersey, NYS, and Conn. are all bedroom communities. I live in brooklyn and would have to drive for hours before I got in the water.

I just find it odd when people who are antithetically opposed to change wonder why their city isn't progressing for the better.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:12 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
Quote:
I have never seen a "do you ever think NYC will be like (insert other US City)" thread.

In my original post I may have come off as harsh. DC has a lot going for it. Two examples, your fish market and surrounding countryside/ beaches/ access. Aside from a few hiking spots most of the New York region is boring. New Jersey, NYS, and Conn. are all bedroom communities. I live in brooklyn and would have to drive for hours before I got in the water.

I just find it odd when people who are antithetically opposed to change wonder why their city isn't progressing for the better.
I don't even understand the "ignorant" comment.

I think the concensus is that most of us in the DC area have no interest in being NYC. I like the fact that DC marches to the beat of a different drummer. That's a good thing.

So we're not interested in worshipping at the altar of New York and that means the city isn't progressing for the better? I love New York but it isn't the be all that ends all. There's nothing wrong with DC actually liking its own history and identity.

I'm not even from DC and I know that DC has proressed for the better. Crime is down. There are all kinds of interesting neighborhoods no matter what you think of gentrification. U street is no Manhattan but its pretty darn fun. There are all kinds of projects going on in the city and suburbs to improve things. So I'm not sure what city you're referring to that isn't progressing.

Also if you live in Brooklyn that means you live on an Island. You don't have to drive hours to get in the water.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I don't even understand the "ignorant" comment.

I think the concensus is that most of us in the DC area have no interest in being NYC. I like the fact that DC marches to the beat of a different drummer. That's a good thing.

So we're not interested in worshipping at the altar of New York and that means the city isn't progressing for the better? I love New York but it isn't the be all that ends all. There's nothing wrong with DC actually liking its own history and identity.

I'm not even from DC and I know that DC has proressed for the better. Crime is down. There are all kinds of interesting neighborhoods no matter what you think of gentrification. U street is no Manhattan but its pretty darn fun. There are all kinds of projects going on in the city and suburbs to improve things. So I'm not sure what city you're referring to that isn't progressing.

Also if you live in Brooklyn that means you live on an Island. You don't have to drive hours to get in the water.

Go ahead and take a dip in New York harbor, I dare you. Take a few laps in the gowanus or newtown creek. You could even try to take a compliment when you get one...

It really seems as though DC has an inferiority complex. Why else would there be a thread devoted to this threads topic. Though I am Glad to see that there are a few of you who want to make it in your own image.

As for progression there are clear examples in this thread of people opposed to having restaurants/lounges or anything NY citified like ya all. I was commenting on that.

Good luck.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:21 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
Quote:
Go ahead and take a dip in New York harbor, I dare you. Take a few laps in the gowanus or newtown creek. You could even try to take a compliment when you get one...

It really seems as though DC has an inferiority complex. Why else would there be a thread devoted to this threads topic. Though I am Glad to see that there are a few of you who want to make it in your own image.

As for progression there are clear examples in this thread of people opposed to having restaurants/lounges or anything NY citified like ya all. I was commenting on that.

Good luck.
I was referring to the ocean not New York harbor or creeks. I'm trying to help you out since you forgot about the Atlantic ocean practically being in your backyard. Now you don't have to drive for hours. You're welcome.

Some people want peace and quiet in their neighborhoods. There's nothing wrong with that. I don't but that's just me. Ironically enough I live in the shhhhh! be quiet suburbs.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:09 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
Quote:
Reading all these comments I have to say DC will never be like NYC. NYC thrives on change and innovation brought by influxes of immigrants whether from other states or other countries. Based on the comments here, DC is none of those things. It seems ignorant sorry to say. I have never enjoyed visiting DC because its people seem backwards.
Glad to know we are nothing like New Yorkers! DC does its own thing. Always has, always will. The person who created this thread is not from DC, so there goes your inferiority complex theory. Plus as I recall, DC is still arguably the most powerful city in the free world. Have fun at fashion week, while we deal with Iran, China, Russia and Syria.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:14 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Reading all these comments I have to say DC will never be like NYC. NYC thrives on change and innovation brought by influxes of immigrants whether from other states or other countries. Based on the comments here, DC is none of those things. It seems ignorant sorry to say. I have never enjoyed visiting DC because its people seem backwards.
I can't tell if you're joking or just ignorant of this topic. Almost all of DC and the surrounding area's economy is based on immigrants from other states or other countries. Are you not familiar with the transient nature of DC?

You should also travel more if you think restaurants and lounges are somehow a NY phenomenon.

Some of the harshest resistance to change and "progress" comes from those living in NYC. Just look at the battles over the heart and soul of Harlem as money has moved into it, or Brooklyn for that matter as hiipsters took over industrial / working class areas.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I was referring to the ocean not New York harbor or creeks. I'm trying to help you out since you forgot about the Atlantic ocean practically being in your backyard. Now you don't have to drive for hours. You're welcome.

Some people want peace and quiet in their neighborhoods. There's nothing wrong with that. I don't but that's just me. Ironically enough I live in the shhhhh! be quiet suburbs.
New York harbor is the ocean where I come from. That creek feeds into the east river which is really a tidal estuary. I don't know anyone who would think of swimming in close to NYC. Even sandy hook is filthy at times.

But honestly this conversation is bizarre. Yet another reason I find DC awkward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC