Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2011, 05:00 AM

2 posts, read 2,784 times

Advertisements

HI, I'm currently negotiating full-time work in Washington DC, moving from Blue Mountains west of Sydney (cold climate - for Australia!). Single female, mid-30s. Have dog, will travel. I'm interested to learn more about the areas in / around DC that might be a good-fit for creative professional with pet. Any guidance, tips would be much appreciated. Some info: Dog needs daily exercise so easy access to parks would be good. Likewise close to public transport - hoping I can avoid replacing my car when I move. Flexible work arrangements mean daily commutes aren't an issue so happy to be a bit outta town if neighbourhood makes the distance worthwhile. I'm moving from a city within a World Heritage National Park, so I'm REALLY keen to have natural areas within reasonable reach (ie. day trips / weekenders etc). Access to social / cultural events a priority. Safety is important. Share-housing an option with like-minded souls. Can probably afford 1bdr condo if pet-friendly. Really interested in connecting with local community - I understand this might be a challenge so any inside tips will be much appreciated. Thanks for your feedback. All the best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 06:15 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,663 times
Exactly where in DC will you job be? Makes a big difference. Check www.wmata.com for info on Metro, including maps. If you see a notation for a place for sale or rent and it says something like "close to Metro," make sure whether that means a Metro rail station or a bus stop (there are also local commuter bus lines, such as Fairfax Connector and Montgomery County Ride-On). I assume you're in touch with a realtor or property management company regarding places to live that are within your budget. DC area is not cheap, but is very interesting, with lots to do.

Tons of parks, ranging from small neighborhood parks to extensive parkland, such as Rock Creek Park, Sligo Creek Park, etc., etc. You could do an Internet search on dog parks once you narrow down your areas. There are many.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:48 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
People sure love dogs in the DC area, almost as much as children. lol.

I sometimes tell new people that the easiest way to meet other people here is to get a dog. So you should find plenty of company in that respect.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:08 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,574 times
Goto Craigslist. Click the dogs box when searching. I've found most listings for apartments here are stingy about dogs, either they say no or small dogs only. However, when corresponding to individual landlords I have found them to be more flexible than their ads let on. I find the area very dog friendly though with a ton of dog parks, regular parks, green space, and dog owners.

You didn't list a budget but I think you would enjoy Dupont Circle (expensive) or Capitol Hill (less expensive but can still be pricey).

Old 12-19-2011, 08:34 AM

837 posts, read 1,798,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi001 View Post
HI, I'm currently negotiating full-time work in Washington DC, moving from Blue Mountains west of Sydney (cold climate - for Australia!). Single female, mid-30s. Have dog, will travel. I'm interested to learn more about the areas in / around DC that might be a good-fit for creative professional with pet. Any guidance, tips would be much appreciated. Some info: Dog needs daily exercise so easy access to parks would be good. Likewise close to public transport - hoping I can avoid replacing my car when I move. Flexible work arrangements mean daily commutes aren't an issue so happy to be a bit outta town if neighbourhood makes the distance worthwhile. I'm moving from a city within a World Heritage National Park, so I'm REALLY keen to have natural areas within reasonable reach (ie. day trips / weekenders etc). Access to social / cultural events a priority. Safety is important. Share-housing an option with like-minded souls. Can probably afford 1bdr condo if pet-friendly. Really interested in connecting with local community - I understand this might be a challenge so any inside tips will be much appreciated. Thanks for your feedback. All the best
Need budget to provide any real advice. DC is $$$$$$$$. Negotiate as much as possible. There are plenty of parks in the DC area - there are (quite literally) waterfalls and hiking trails within 15 or 20 minutes drive. For being a major city, it has some extraordinary green and outdoor space (although if you are moving from a World Heritage National Park..... you may be somewhat less impressed). The mountains, including the famous Appalachian trail are only a few hours drive (or less depending where you end up), as is the beach. Mind you, these mountains wont have the beauty of the blue mountains unique gorges, but you'll find that they scratch that itch all the same. There's plenty of hiking trails closer in as well, for instance, the Billy Goat Trail is maybe 15 minutes drive.

File:Billy Goat Trail boulders.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For the nicer stuff, google "shenandoah va hiking". Beaches are 3 to 4 hours away, also doable as day trips, although traffic can be a bear.

Dog friendly parks there are several in DC, although as you might expect they tend to be more common further away from the hippest areas. That said, Rock Creek Park is easy accessible from a number of different spots and it is very pretty - runs through a large portion of the city (google images Rock Creek Park). Also google "C&O Canal".

More traditional parks (rather than trails) exist as well, but depends a bit where you live as to what I'd suggest.

Most important thing is to figure out where your job is (and is it accessible by public transport).

Old 12-19-2011, 03:30 PM

2 posts, read 2,784 times
Thank you for your comments. This is really encouraging, especially re. dog friendliness and natural areas nearby. Proposed work is near Farragut. My rental budget is around $2-$2.5K per month. Will check out your suggested links. Some of my mates think I'm crazy moving to DC from the Blueys, but hopefully the more prepared the better! I have a couple of months to get things sorted if all goes well. Really appreciate your feedback. Have a great day!

Old 12-19-2011, 05:34 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times
I recommend you live near work, unless you can take the Metro to work, and in that case live near the metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: