Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 05:58 PM

708 posts, read 1,205,922 times

Advertisements

Wow, now here is a new spin, instead of reducing the government, lets just reduce the Fed but keep DOD.

Proposal aims to offset costs of sequestration through staff reductions -- GovExec.com

Quote:
The Down Payment to Protect National Security Act would cut the federal workforce by 10 percent over the next 10 years through attrition and apply those savings toward one year of spending cuts imposed by sequestration, including both defense and nondefense spending, according to a statement from McKeon.
He proposed achieving the reduction by hiring one federal worker for every three who retire. The proposal comes as lawmakers in both chambers look for ways to offset the effects of the $500 billion in cuts to military spending the Pentagon faces as a result of the deficit super committee's failure in November to find $1.2 trillion in savings.

Wow.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 06:41 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,663 times
Do I remember correctly that Congress refused to cut back on military bands? I have nothing against them, but considering the number of cuts elsewhere (including on health and pollution programs), I think DOD will have to share. There's a bunch of waste there (including on money that goes to contractors, with insufficient oversight).

Old 01-13-2012, 01:09 PM

708 posts, read 1,205,922 times
R.I.P., Department of Commerce? President Obama Seeks to Consolidate Government Agencies - Yahoo! News

So it begins......

Old 01-13-2012, 01:34 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
I also advocate some movement out of the district - the proximity may not be a good thing as I believe the entity feeds itself

FDA/CDC - why not move all this to Atlanta or something as a consolidated agency

NSA/CIA/FBI/HLS/DOD and whatever other incarnations

streamlining is likely good within reason obviously

so many redundancies in Govt

Old 01-20-2012, 09:50 PM

494 posts, read 1,191,951 times
Has there ever been a time in recent memory when DC and the surrounding areas were in the economic doldrums? I'm talking unemployment in the low teens, trash gathering on the streets, kinda like Cleveland is now? This area always seems to thrive. Dot boom followed by homeland security spending followed by <insert here>.

The only historical time I can think of was when General Lee was set to invade dc and instead got his a** kicked in Gettysburg.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:06 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,818,729 times
Coolio that's kinda misleading because Cleveland has been losing population for about 50 or so years now. Heck in the 70's a series of bombs went off..I don't mean one or two I mean dozens
Danny Greene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I wouldn't say that DC has always thrived. It certainly has turned around over the past 20 years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Washington,_D.C. It can be debated as to what caused crime to go down but no one can really deny that crime has gone down. Take any place and lower the crime by 50% and it will look better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC