Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2012, 07:41 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,991,491 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I will be in DC for 2 days next week and haven't ever been to DC before in my life. Please recommend places to eat, cool sites to see, cool museums, parks, nightlife areas, your chinatown, and some close by great scenery to see! If there's anything else you feel worth seeing, don't hesitate to let me know.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 10:58 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,578,046 times
Camelot

Old 08-08-2012, 11:28 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
A good rule of thumb is that anything you've heard about in DC is most likely worth checking out. DC is very easy to visit.

For 2 days, I would take a tour of the White House, U.S. Capitol Building, the Museum of Natural History, Air & Space Museum, Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, Jefferson Memorial, other nearby memorials, Georgetown, DuPont Circle, Adams Morgan and Penn Quarter. The Potomac River is nice scenery. But if you want mountains, you'll need to head west about 1 hour to Shenandoah National Park. If you want to see the Chesapeake Bay, then it's about 45 minutes east of DC.

DC has lots of restaurants and very good ones at that. It's kind of underrated for that, IMO. What kinds of food are you interested in?

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 08-08-2012 at 11:36 AM..

Old 08-08-2012, 11:49 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,596,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
I will be in DC for 2 days next week and haven't ever been to DC before in my life. Please recommend places to eat, cool sites to see, cool museums, parks, nightlife areas, your chinatown, and some close by great scenery to see!
I'd spend at least one day on the mall and include the Jefferson Memorial that day - maybe Arlington Cemetery across the bridge, too. The Mall starts at one end with the Capitol building (and Library of Congress behind it - worth a visit), has Smithsonian museums and monuments and memorials along it (including Washington Monument, Vietnam memorial), and concludes with the Lincoln Memorial (you can see JFK's eternal flame over at Arlington from the back). Personally, with just two days, I'd probably spend almost all my morning/early afternoon both days along the mall and save later afternoon and evening for Georgetown and DuPont/Adams Morgan.

Chinatown was always teensy and now not worth the side trip, IMO. If you want to check it out, it's easy enough to pop up there after lunch at Jaleo (Jose Andres tapas) and a visit to the fun Spy Museum nearby.

You also mentioned parks - Roosevelt Island is a relaxing detour but there's lots of green along the mall and at Arlington - as well as manicured gardens in upper Georgetown.

Let us know a little more about you and your interests/tastes so we can make more specific recommendations for food, sights, and nightlife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
For 2 days, I would take a tour of the White House, U.S. Capitol Building, the Museum of Natural History, Air & Space Museum, Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, Jefferson Memorial, other nearby memorials, Georgetown, DuPont Circle, Adams Morgan and Penn Quarter.
Some good ideas here but the Washington Monument isn't open for tours now and you need to request White House tour tickets through your congressional representative at least three weeks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC