Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2012, 08:32 AM

9 posts, read 66,754 times

Advertisements

Since apparently this doesn't get seen if it's in the sticky thread above I'm reposting down here (with some edits):

I'm a single Army officer, mid-30's, no kids, relocating to Fort Meade for work. I'm from NYC originally and prefer a high-density area with plenty of dining and nightlife options within easy walking/metro distance. Also need access to running trails...I'm a regular marathon runner (usually put in about 40 miles a week), combined with the nightlife thing. Friends have mentioned Cleveland Park...as well as Silver Spring (which sounds too suburban to me). I don't do houses, an apt doesn't have to be large as I'm never home.

1. Do I need to be by a metro rail? Would I be okay if I were on a bus line?

Ans: Not a bus fan. Regardless it looks like you have to drive to Fort Meade, apparently the MARC to Odenton and then a shuttle may be an option but the timing on that looks iffy. Metro access is pretty important. Especially if I can't do everything I want to do in my immediate neighborhood.

2. How long of a commute to work am I willing to have? Would I be okay driving? Taking the commuter rail? (where will I be working?)

Ans: See above. Not a fan of long commutes but I understand that I'll have one since I'm ruling out the area immediately around Fort Meade (I've spent too long in the wasteland of Texas). I drive a hybrid so gas costs aren't too much of an issue.

3. Would I be willing to live with a roommate or multiple roommates?

Ans. Don't think so unless it was some sort of amazing gig (I once shared a massive four-bedroom, four-bathroom West Village apt. in NY with three roommates in a very luxe building...but short of that..I'm too old for roommates).

4. What amenities do I absolutely need in an apartment -- pets? gym? a/c? washer/dryer?

Ans. a/c.

5. What is the absolute maximum, with utilities and any fees, I can afford?

Ans. $2200? but I'd certainly prefer significantly less. Like I said, the size of the apt isn't relevant...neither are other amenities (walkups and all that are fine)...location is everything.

6. What is my definition of safe?

Ans. Well, I'm kind of used to living somewhere with little to no crime (i.e. Manhattan or suburban Texas)...but I'm a tall guy who can run really fast so I'm somewhat flexible on this. Definitely prefer somewhere with busy streets at night.

7. How important is nightlife? family community? schools?

Adult nightlife (I mean bars/lounges that aren't all college kids)/dining/coffee-shops...very important. None of the rest is relevant.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 10:33 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,574,402 times
Man, Fort Meade is going to be a long annoying commute from any of the high-density, high-nightlife, urban parts of DC.
You might want to consider the cool nightlife neighborhoods in Baltimore because they would be much cheaper, and I suspect, although I could be wrong, would be a quicker drive to Fort Meade due to less traffic and less distance.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:13 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,538,769 times
Ooof, Fort Meade was described elsewhere (by a 10-year employee) as "a transit black hole with growing traffic and horrible parking." It's not exactly easy to get to from anywhere. There are shuttle buses (http://meaderide.com/commuting/transit/commuting-from-maryland/ - broken link) from MARC's Penn and Camden lines and from the Metro Green Line, which apparently have expanded service since BRAC moved a lot more jobs to Ft. Meade. Do check first that your particular installation is on that shuttle route, since apparently not all of them go everywhere on base.

There also aren't many walkable, 24-hour neighborhoods in the eastern half of the DC metro area, or the southern half of Baltimore. If you're willing to tough it out some on the commute, though, you can find great neighborhoods just outside the respective cities' downtowns. In Baltimore, somewhere like Federal Hill (most walkable neighborhood in town) is a 17 mile drive from Ft. Meade and that's almost all on relatively uncongested freeways. Downtown Baltimore itself, or the new Harbor East area, are also options. Plus, Baltimore apparently offers DoD-specific relocation kits. Note that the MARC Penn Line to Odenton leaves Baltimore from Penn Station, which is about two miles north of downtown, while the MARC Camden Line to Savage leaves from south of downtown next to Camden Yards (near Federal Hill, or the tiny neighborhood of Ridgely's Delight). The harborfront trail in Baltimore is beautiful, but gets tourist-infested in the summer; from Federal Hill there's also a trail headed inland to Gwynns Falls Park.

In DC, I'd consider the neighborhoods behind Union Station -- to the west, Mount Vernon Triangle and NoMa, and to the east the H Street area of Capitol Hill. It's the only location in town that would give you the option of either taking MARC (both Penn or Camden lines) or driving (24 miles, but more local streets and much more traffic). They're all "up and coming" neighborhoods, unlike the very established Federal Hill, but just in the past year or two have really started to blossom with new retail. MVT and NoMa are all new high-rises, whereas the Hill is all historic rowhouses. Technically, the Green Line is an option with the new Greenbelt-Ft. Meade shuttle, but I'd imagine that you're looking at 50+ minutes from Columbia Heights or U Street (the most walkable areas along the Green Line) to Ft. Meade. As for running, Union Station is the start of the Metropolitan Branch Trail and just north of the Capitol, where you can get to the (tourist-thronged, but soft-surfaced) Mall and the Potomac; at the Hill's eastern edge, the Anacostia River Trail now forms a complete loop.

Sadly, people like you aren't in charge of DoD location decisions -- otherwise, they wouldn't move tens of thousands of jobs from the region's core to exurban nightmares like Fort Belvoir and Fort Meade. The result is unhappy employees with long commutes, plus much worse congestion, pollution, and sprawl for everyone. There are secure military sites much closer in, but I guess they'd rather reserve those for -- well, I don't know what goes on there (and I think they prefer it that way).

Old 01-19-2012, 01:32 PM

9 posts, read 66,754 times
Thanks for the responses. Sounds like I'll have a number of less-than-ideal options to research...
What worries me about the MARC and shuttle option is that my job won't necessarily have predictable hours...

Old 01-19-2012, 01:53 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,241,080 times
I feel your pain. I'm a city guy who has always worked in the suburbs and thus live in the burbs. Perhaps Silver Spring might be a good option. It'd give you easier access to Fort Meade and if you get an apartment near the metro it won't feel TOO suburban. There are hi-rises and a nice downtown shopping and restaurant district in Silver Spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC