Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2010, 05:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,631 times

Advertisements

I'm 29 years old and single, and I've just been offered a job at Fort Meade. The problem is I have no idea where to live. I'm looking for a an area where there are things to do after work and on the weekends. I'm hoping to find an area that has single people. Is DC too far to commute? What about Silver Spring? How is Columbia for young single professionals? Are there any other areas that I should consider? My budget is probably up to $2000. I'm really looking for any advice I can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 10:01 PM

150 posts, read 596,056 times
I would say any where within 20 Miles of Ft. Meade will give you a decent commute, so as far north as Towson, south as Upper Marlboro or West as Rockville.

This would also include basically all of DC (and Baltimore), however traffic as a much bigger issue in the City (but from your stand point it would be a reverse commute). So I would still consider DC.

At you're rent rate, for one or two rooms, you would really only be excluding places like Georgetown because of price.

Silver Spring boasts cheaper rent rates than neighboring cities to west but less of the crime found just south and east. Columbia is more expensive, has less high rise apartments, is more family oriented and suburban then Silver Spring.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:06 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
Silver Spring would probably be good. You'd have a bit of a commute (45 minutes in traffic according to Google Maps) but that's alright compared to some of the commutes people have in the DC area. You'd also have Metro and car access to DC, in addition to some of the great spots in Silver Spring. $2000 should be more than enough for a 1br or studio.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:18 PM

28 posts, read 84,693 times
I grew up in that area, Bowie, check into Bowie or Odenton, believe me you don't want to commute on that beltway.........way too stressful.........good luck

Old 05-18-2010, 01:15 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,221,924 times
Okay...congrats on the job offer...

Columbia is the only place you should seriously consider..maybe odenton/north laurel..it's a straight shot down rt 32...it will be a painless commute 20-30 mins max...

Columbia is a great city to live and very amenity friendly....shopping, walking, entertainment is all available...however it is a family oriented town...be prepared to see millions of minivans with kids in the back....

To get your single scene on you'll have to travel to dc/bmore which isn't bad but you have to be careful because the police/staties are pretty active trying to nab drunk drivers...columbia does have a scene but I felt like they all knew each other...

Old 05-18-2010, 02:35 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,156,294 times
I'd look at Annapolis too. I don't know what rents are like down there but it's a really nice town and the commute should be a lot easier than from DC.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:42 PM

Location: (Orginally From Ann Arbor, MI) Now reside in Evans, Georgia
560 posts, read 1,143,101 times
Default Good luck in your housing search

I will assume single, No kids and no pets.As they weren't specified.

If you want a close commute to work and convinces to shopping etc.

Odenton, Crofton, Laurel are all close buy and reasonable.
if your seeking under 30 minute drive and more nightlife opportunities..Halethrope, or surrounding Baltimore Suburbs. I don't recommend Landsown or Baltimore heights unless you are use to city living. If you more marina, fishing, beach kinda guy head toward Edgewater and Annapolis.

If you have kids the desire area is Howard County more specifically Columbia, Ellicot City, Elkridge. Housng is a bit more exspensive but the school ratings are greast, crime rates low, and most townhouses for sale or rent are in good conditions.Perhaps you can get a roomie to make it worth your wild.

If crime or school isn't a concern the closer to the base the better , Glen Burnie has cheap rentals and under 20 minute drive to the base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC