Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2012, 01:30 PM

17 posts, read 34,214 times

Advertisements

I recently moved from the UK and now looking for a job in media. I am doing my best to apply directly for the roles i'm interested in but sadly having not much luck.

I thought if i get on the books of a recruitment agency i may have a better chance to get my foot in to the media world.

Any advice on the media staffing agencies in DC/VA?

Thanks in advance,
Julija
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 03:47 PM

837 posts, read 1,799,759 times
Unless you have deep experience in the industry, why not focus on job function and look more broadly?

Old 01-26-2012, 01:08 PM

36 posts, read 107,883 times
When you say "media," that's a broad term. US hiring is much different than the UK, or even Canada. What area specifically?

Old 01-27-2012, 07:34 PM

230 posts, read 860,614 times
Maslow Media: http://www.maslowmedia.com/content.asp?contentid=135

Old 01-29-2012, 08:45 AM

585 posts, read 2,017,287 times
DC is all about who and what you know, it isn't as simple as filling out applications.

Without details on what exactly in "media" you want to do, it's hard to point you in the right direction.

I work in media but it is a job I was offered years ago due to my work in my specialty (finance/accounting) and one that I have been able to take with me wherever I go. I couldn't imagine how difficult it would be to get my foot in the door here if I had to; even with my fairly impressive portfolio of work and reputation as an authority in this specialty.

I assume you've already checked the Media Bistro job listings? mediabistro.com: jobs, classes, community and news for media professionals

Old 01-30-2012, 08:27 AM

36 posts, read 107,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killabunnies View Post
DC is all about who and what you know, it isn't as simple as filling out applications.
That's true in DC. And Nashville. And Boise.

Nothing is as simple as filling out applications, anywhere, anymore. That is futility.

It's who knows you that is important. In other words, you need to get known. Network, internet presence, marketing letters and coffee/breakfast with decision makers.

HR is a black hole.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:47 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,184,164 times
Have you thought of taking classes at a local university or private school, to help demonstrate your knowledge of U.S. media? As noted, you don't say much about the areas you're interested in, and your experience. It's a tough industry to break into. If you can get some "informational interviews" (talking to someone in the industry, to get info not to apply for a job), and talk with organizations such as SCORE (nationwide organization of retired business executives, who give free interviews, and offer low-cost classes), that might be a start. And definitely expand your search beyond DC. I would assume that the more education and experience you have in specific fields, such as production and finances, the more employable you'll be, but that doesn't mean you'll find a job anytime soon. If you take classes, especially at night, the instructor may be someone who is, or was, in the industry.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:22 PM

So sorry for a late reply.
I'm an Associate Producer/ Segment producer. Spent 7 years working for the BBC, UK. My main job was to find stories and make it happen on TV or Radio. Even though i have a considerable experience in working on factual stories and ideally would love to work with Nat Geo, Discovery, i would very much like to explore my opportunities with CNN, ABC, PBS etc.
I do agree that the whole industry is about 'who you know' but just wanted to hear other people's experience.
Thanks for all your thoughts in advance.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:44 AM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,867,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julija View Post
So sorry for a late reply.
I'm an Associate Producer/ Segment producer. Spent 7 years working for the BBC, UK. My main job was to find stories and make it happen on TV or Radio. Even though i have a considerable experience in working on factual stories and ideally would love to work with Nat Geo, Discovery, i would very much like to explore my opportunities with CNN, ABC, PBS etc.
I do agree that the whole industry is about 'who you know' but just wanted to hear other people's experience.
Thanks for all your thoughts in advance.
If you don't have a linkedin account, make one now. Join as many dc based media groups. Attend happy hours and social gatherings. Go to vistaprint and get some biz cards. Dc is a biz card town. This is how you get a real foot in the door in the dc media market if you don't want to intern for free. Create a website that conveys everything that you highlight on your resume. Include said website on biz cards.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:53 AM

Thanks for the tips
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC