Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2012, 06:42 PM

210 posts, read 455,040 times

Advertisements

I'll be taking Amtrak to DC this May to catch a flight at Dulles, but I only have a little over an hour to grab a bite. Should I decide to leave the station to find food, where's a good place in the surrounding area?

Also, for international travel, should four hours before departure be early enough to arrive at Dulles on a Monday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 10:12 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillemeister View Post
I'll be taking Amtrak to DC this May to catch a flight at Dulles, but I only have a little over an hour to grab a bite. Should I decide to leave the station to find food, where's a good place in the surrounding area?

Also, for international travel, should four hours before departure be early enough to arrive at Dulles on a Monday?
On the lower level of Union Station they have a huge eatery with tons of little places to eat. Probably not worth the effort to leave the station with just an hour of time, better spent in the eatery looking at what you want. You can look at the official Union Station website if you want to see what restaurants they have.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:24 PM

I vaguely remember the eatery from when I was twelve or so. It was an oddly quiet afternoon. I went to a deli and tried something, but neither the service nor the food thrilled me.

I wanted to step outside for a bit to ease the claustrophobia of such a long haul (Atlanta to DC to Paris to Istanbul), but if time is short I suppose I can give Union Station another shot.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:01 AM

607 posts, read 1,216,942 times
The closest and easiest place to get to just outside of Union Station is Capital City Brewery. The food isn't anything to write home about but it's decent and I like the Kolsch. You just walk out of front of Union Station where the cab stands are and make a right. Can't miss it, it'll be on your right after you pass the station.

I'd imagine you don't need to show up that early to Dulles. But I'll let others chime in since I've taken tons of flights from there but only domestic and I'm not a fan of showing up to the airport early anyway.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:13 AM

430 posts, read 1,059,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snd485 View Post
The closest and easiest place to get to just outside of Union Station is Capital City Brewery. The food isn't anything to write home about but it's decent and I like the Kolsch. You just walk out of front of Union Station where the cab stands are and make a right. Can't miss it, it'll be on your right after you pass the station.
I thought Capital City left that location. At least they had many months ago when I tried going to that one.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:41 AM

866 posts, read 2,628,526 times
Capital City Brewing is no longer there. Union Station has a few restaurants on the main level that look decent; it's one level up from the busy food court. There are also two Irish pubs on F Street near North Capitol Street - Kelly's and The Dubliner. I've eaten at the Dubliner before; the food is good.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:45 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillemeister View Post
I vaguely remember the eatery from when I was twelve or so. It was an oddly quiet afternoon. I went to a deli and tried something, but neither the service nor the food thrilled me.

I wanted to step outside for a bit to ease the claustrophobia of such a long haul (Atlanta to DC to Paris to Istanbul), but if time is short I suppose I can give Union Station another shot.
Just a deli with weak service??? I think Union Station has changed since you were 12. There's a big food court downstairs just like you'd find at a mall. Really and truly Union Station is a mall with a train station attached to it. There's an Exprss, Victoria's Secret, Barnes and Noble, L'Occotaine, FYE, a couple local boutiques for ladies, JOS A Bank, Ann Taylor. There's also Uno Pizza and Johnny Rockets. There's two upscale restaurants in the middle of the train station. If you're missing Georgia already there's an upscale soul food restaurant next to the station B. Smith's.

Union Station is near and dear to my heart. Its one of my favorite buildings in DC. From my understanding it used to be a real dump. Those days are long gone. Its a beautiful building. There have been so many times that I just walked around Union Station for the sole purpose of just looking at the beautiful cieling. Either way enjoy your trip.

Just out of curiosity why don't you fly straight from Atlanta on Delta? Why the train trip to DC?

Old 03-30-2012, 12:59 PM

66 posts, read 125,549 times
I agree with the above post, Union Station is a destination in itself. And alas yes, Cap City Brewery has moved to H & 11th Street.

On my last visit to the station I found a Bojangles in the lower level food court, the only one I know of in the city. We used to eat there on beach trips to North Carolina. Their sweet tea and biscuits are really good.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:20 AM

Johnny Rocket's, you say? Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Just out of curiosity why don't you fly straight from Atlanta on Delta? Why the train trip to DC?
A round-trip flight from Atlanta to Istanbul with one stop is about $800 more than to/from Dulles. I guess it's because Atlanta's landing fees are so high, but I'd rather spend the extra money in Turkey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC