Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2012, 07:48 PM

741 posts, read 1,113,922 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have finally finished my analysis, which identified the densest parts of DC by census tract and census block group as of the 2010 enumeration.

What you can expect to find in my report:
- Top 10 densest census tracts w/ corresponding nabes & other data
- Top 5 densest census blocks
- Brief discussion of land-use efficiency
- Map of probable contiguous high-density residential zone by 2025
- Land area of probable contiguous high-density residential zone
- Brief discussion of DC high-rises

A downloadable PDF of my report is at: J Otavio Thompson (otavio_dc) on Scribd | Scribd

If you'd like a more detailed look at my high-density residential map, go to ArcGIS: http://bit.ly/HzyQHd

A few highlights:
- Census Tract 50.02 in Logan Circle is DC's densest tract, achieving a corresponding 66,752 people per square mile!

- Census Block Group 1 of Census Tract 50.02 is DC's densest block group, achieving a corresponding 118,954 people per square mile

- By 2025, the total land area of the high-density residential zone should surpass 17 square miles of the city.

- DC has nearly 400 high rises (albeit many of them are office buildings), ranking it ahead of plenty of cities that you may not have thought it would.

Another beautiful weekend is rapidly coming to an end. I wish everyone a productive start to the work week!

Preview of my next project (already started):
Land-use and density comparison of a typical downtown DC city block of 12-story office high-rises to the block containing Charlotte's tallest skyscraper at 871 feet. How do the densities of these two blocks compare? The two city blocks are almost identical in land area size, too. Stay tuned......

Last edited by revitalizer; 04-08-2012 at 08:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 09:05 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,460,046 times
Thanks for sharing your work. Very interesting to read, and i'm looking forward to the next one!

Old 04-09-2012, 04:38 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,889,029 times
Helpful post with lots of information. But where are the stereotypical remarks about women here being ugly and yuppies destroying DC? It's not an official DC forum thread unless those topics are broached.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:10 PM

741 posts, read 1,113,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
Helpful post with lots of information. But where are the stereotypical remarks about women here being ugly and yuppies destroying DC? It's not an official DC forum thread unless those topics are broached.
I'm glad that you found my post helpful.

I don't too well with stereotypes, though. I hope you will still consider my thread official, nonetheless.

Last edited by revitalizer; 04-09-2012 at 04:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC