Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2012, 07:36 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,582,878 times

Advertisements

(apologies to Pete Seegar)

The State of the Anacostia Is...Better Than It Could Be - Housing Complex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 09:37 AM

34 posts, read 108,631 times
It is improving. I've volunteered a couple times now with Groundwork Anacostia, an organization that runs and operates a series of litter traps in some of the streams that feed into the Anacostia. The traps are a series of floating booms with a center trap (see the above link for a picture) that catches debris as is floats down the river (the trap still allows water flow/fish flow). On each of the cleanup projects I worked on, we collected probably 20 or so bags of trash out of the trap and by cleaning the nearby banks. Its daunting, but the river is getting better. The guy from the organization who was with us last time told us they've actually started seeing a few fish in the river again. And we actually saw some baby fish while we were cleaning up. So, improvements are happening, even if slowly.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:37 AM

32,151 posts, read 34,828,285 times
I wonder why the Anacostia is so much filthier than the Potomac.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:15 PM

34 posts, read 108,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I wonder why the Anacostia is so much filthier than the Potomac.
Well, the biggest factor, I'd guess is money. The Potomac has all the well to do areas of NW DC on one side and the well to do communities of Northern VA on the other. The Anacostia, on the other hand is located in some of the poorest and most generally neglected parts of DC (wards 5, 7, and 8 and the areas of ward 6 nearest the river have only in the past few years really started to rise in attractiveness). And, further up the Anacostia, Prince George's County isn't well-known for an abundance of resources either.

Last edited by kln82; 04-11-2012 at 01:47 PM..

Old 04-11-2012, 01:44 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kln82 View Post
Well, the biggest factor, I'd guess is money. The Potomac has all the well to do areas of NW DC on one side and the well to do communities of Northern VA on the other. The Anacostia, on the other hand is located in some of the poorest and most generally neglected parts of DC (wards 5, 6, and 7, and the areas of ward 1 nearest the river have only in the past few years really started to rise in attractiveness). And, further up the Anacostia, Prince George's County isn't well-known for an abundance of resources either.

I suspect also the density of population and industry nearby, relative the volume of water flow, is rather higher for the Anacostia than the Potomac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC