Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2012, 05:18 PM

1 posts, read 936 times

Advertisements

Greetings,
I currently live in southern Florida and work as a waiter in the very seasonal city of Sarasota. The busy season here is quickly drawing to an end and my roommate and I are preparing for a temporary relocation to avoid the slow summer business here. I was considering places like Martha's Vineyard or the Hamptons as prime locations, but my roommate is strongly pushing for the DC area. We are both professional servers and confident in our abilities to find work, but I'm not familiar with the area. We would be sharing a car and only have about 5k between us. The goal would be a 3 month stay, work as much as possible, and leave with a couple thousand more than we came with. Does this trip sound feasible? Also, housing would be shared and must be close to public transportation. All comments welcome and thanks in advance to anyone willing to offer their perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 06:26 AM

246 posts, read 589,353 times
It is very expensive here and it shuts down for the summer. Expect to make close to nothing in August while your rent remains high. Also, the good jobs require connections and moving around a bit here.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:37 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,940,220 times
If your intention is to make a big profit, it is not the best idea. Rent is expensive even for a 2 bdr in any kind of safe area. You could probably find jobs since you're experienced but the rent will eat it up, DC is not a city for the blue collar, DC has no real blue collar except in the crime filled ghettos. One interesting idea might be Pittsburgh, their economy is decent and rents are dirt cheap, you could find a safe nice 2 bdr for under $700. If that sounds interesting, you should pose the same q on the Pittsburgh forum.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:53 PM

585 posts, read 2,016,130 times
A better idea would be to come up for the inauguration next year and work your butts off for that - I know event professionals desperate for staff as they know this town is going to be off the hook, PM me if you want me to put you in touch with someone - and then go back home.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:02 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,408,600 times
you might make way more money up in the
cool hamptons or the vineyards than going
to blazing hot DC in the summertime.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:57 AM

100 posts, read 162,551 times
I would go to one of the classic wealthy vacation spots as you suggested. If you have strong seasonal work in the winter seasons in Florida, and can form a relationship with a country club, resort, restaurant etc in the wealthier areas of the Northeast for the summer months, you'd have an excellent set up - I know for a fact many clubs throughout NY, CT, etc hire around now for the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC