Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 03:28 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times

Advertisements

I'd probably bike or walk on the nice days, and drive on the not so nice ones.

Also be aware, that its possible to rent a car for the weekend trip, and to rent a zipcar by the hour for quick errands that can't be accomplished otherwise. (Of course if you have a car you are attached to, thats different)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 04:12 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,459,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshane248 View Post
So I found an amazing apartment building this weekend in this building in Logan Circle (my favorite part of DC). The only problem is, it is a little inconvenient with the metro and a little bit long for a daily commute on foot (~35 minutes). I am going to be bringing my car to the city (and get free parking at work), so I was wondering how bad driving in the city is at rush hour times? I'd basically be going from 15th and N to 23rd and I (a little over a mile). Is this insane to think of with city traffic, or would I be able to do it in under 15 minutes, even in god awful traffic?
It's definitely doable, but you just need to find the right route to make it work. I have a similar commute, only shifted 6 blocks east, from Shaw to Farragut Park. I'm right around the 15 minute mark in traffic. If I slogged down I or K street, it would be a 30 minute nightmare, but there are streets that aren't as congested.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:56 PM

89 posts, read 274,729 times
Definitely bike it in, you'll enjoy it and you'll get a good workout before work...But to answer your question, traffic in the city tends to be quite doable. It's the commute out to the suburbs that's headache-inducing...

Old 04-16-2012, 07:45 PM

585 posts, read 2,015,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carioca Da Gema View Post
Definitely bike it in, you'll enjoy it and you'll get a good workout before work...But to answer your question, traffic in the city tends to be quite doable. It's the commute out to the suburbs that's headache-inducing...
Confirmed and I do it in REVERSE and still hate it.

Get on a bike. I'd LOVE a luxury like that.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:06 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,076,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I don't know that drive, but my general sense is that driving on local streets in the city (other than right downtown) is usually not that bad - the bottlenecks are on the highways and faster roads coming in from the suburbs. Folks should be aware that many DCers would use a bike for a commute that short in that area, and that buses are also an option - but if you will have a car anyway, and will have a free spot at work, I can see why driving would be tempting.
Um - but that's exactly where this is -- right in the middle of downtown. K and I Streets to give 2 examples, are gridlocked and barely move at all for several hours during rush hours and noon lunch-hour. Western Constitution Ave and lower 14th Street are exactly the same way, 5 days a week, for hours at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC