Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 03:35 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,502,560 times

Advertisements

people born after 1975 are usually bored and aimless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 03:48 PM

837 posts, read 1,800,890 times
Seems like pretty harmless fun to me. I don't think I'd enjoy it, but I don't think I'd give a crap if someone did this either. Admittedly, I'd care if it happened on my front yard and I had to clean the mess up, but otherwise the worst that comes of it is that a half-dozen cops get a little OT. I can live with that.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:15 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,591,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
Wow really? You don't see how a silly event that maybe takes up an hour or two of these people's time per week can also allow for time to do the positive things you mention? Or you're so sure that doing the conga in public clearly demonstrates that someone is entitled and absolutely does not volunteer or contribute anything to society?

Yeesh, some people....

its the way culture wars work. What you do for fun matters. Now to me, reading a book beats watching tv, watching public tv (other than those silly antique shows) beats watching wrestling, etc. To a whole lot of people stuff that sounds like innocent, or worse, ironic, or artsy, fun, is a threat to their way of life - TV, Nascar, hunting, certain "okay" sports, drinking, etc are just fine.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:09 AM

220 posts, read 549,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RozCat View Post
making policy?? O-kay, sure.

Guess, I'm wondering why the outlet has to be focused on this kind of annoying self-centered silliness when you're a grown-up adult. Why can't it be volunteering or tutoring a kid or working with a church group or cleaning up the Anacostia or taking a writing class or learning a musical instrument, etc.
I disagree with this. I work long hours (significantly more than 40 per week) in a job that requires a lot of thinking, am on the board of a community service group, and enjoy reading the news/reading books/visiting museums/etc. However, while I often enjoy intellectual pursuits, there are occasional times when one just wants to relax and do something that doesn't involve thinking, working, or learning. I've never participated in the events described here so I can't say that pie fights necessarily are the answer. Still, I don't think anyone can be expected to spend all of their time engaging in productive and/or educational pursuits.

Last edited by movinghere; 04-23-2012 at 08:41 AM..

Old 04-23-2012, 09:27 AM

999 posts, read 2,015,520 times
Here is a summary of 20-something life in DC during the 1990s:

1. Get drunk. Some weed doesn't hurt either.
2. Hook up with someone you met at the house party.
3. Trips to beaches on weekends that involve drinking and sex.
4. Do some volunteer work so you can get laid with another person.
5. Do some election campaign work so you can get laid.
6. You joined soccer and flag football leagues so you can get a mean workout and drink a ton of beers at the bar after a game.
7. Catch the latest punk and alternative rock band act at the old 9:30 Club. Get drunk, stoned and have sex after the show.

Booze. Sex. Drugs. Booze. Sex. Drugs. Booze. Sex. Drugs.

We, Generation Xers, had crappy parents growing up. Parents who were either indifferent or just plain abusive. We had teachers who smacked us around the classroom and then the school Principal would give us the paddle afterwords. When we came home crying, the parents displayed a complete lack of sympathy: we sniveling little brats had it coming.

Generation X was the first generation to enter a workforce when the United States was starting its economic and political decline. Sex, alcohol, marijuana, and partying were the best options at the time.

The Generation Y kids grew up under "helicopter" parents: protected and coddled well into their college years. Parent's mid-life crises and stress issues were hidden from their children--unlike with the Xers when parents channeled their anxiety on the kids. In the Generation Y world: the kids are special. In the Generation X world: the kids were a nuisance.

Generation Y kids did not get smacked by anyone: school administrators, teachers, law enforcement and most of all--the parents themselves. So little violence. So little hostility. So much TLC.

And you see the result: Generation Y kids playing tag games and doing pillow fights in public squares. I almost wish I was a Generation Y kid.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:33 AM

246 posts, read 590,333 times
Quote:
making policy?? O-kay, sure.

Guess, I'm wondering why the outlet has to be focused on this kind of annoying self-centered silliness when you're a grown-up adult. Why can't it be volunteering or tutoring a kid or working with a church group or cleaning up the Anacostia or taking a writing class or learning a musical instrument, etc.
I am an experienced attorney working full-time in a very intellectually-demanding position. I volunteer. I serve on several boards. I have a child who I am teaching to read and write. I read and write extensively myself. I travel. I take classes. I teach classes. I exercise. I visit museums. I chaperone school trips. I babysit friends' children. Additionally, I spend hours each week trying to help my community in a variety of ways, such that my efforts have been featured in several local newspapers recently. But, this year I have also hula hooped for a straight hour, participated in a pie eating contest, been in a water fight with 100+ people, and wrestled in a vat of ramen. Although none of the latter activities are going to be listed on my resume anytime soon, they take nothing away from the former. I hope I never grow up in the way that you deem appropriate.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:20 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,466,071 times
Quote:
Looks like the group mentioned in the article has been serving dinner at the Central Union Mission every Tuesday night since January, conducted life skills classes for immigrants, promoted charities/international education endeavors and organized religious studies discussions. The most dangerous thing I see in may is a trail hike.

Why do you think this organization is focused on' annoying self-centered silliness'? Were you annoyed by the pie fight in Meridian Park (the only event of its type the organization has held)? Or were you not even aware of it and it didn't affect you at all?

Old 04-23-2012, 11:32 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,262,318 times
Sigh. This is yet another case of not letting folks live their own lives. Why does being an adult have to have such inane rules? If no one is being hurt then its all good I say. Play kickball, throw a pie at someone, have a pillow fight. Would you rather DC return to the days of murder capital? Geez Louise.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:00 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,585,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
Here is a summary of 20-something life in DC during the 1990s:

1. Get drunk. Some weed doesn't hurt either.
2. Hook up with someone you met at the house party.
3. Trips to beaches on weekends that involve drinking and sex.
4. Do some volunteer work so you can get laid with another person.
5. Do some election campaign work so you can get laid.
6. You joined soccer and flag football leagues so you can get a mean workout and drink a ton of beers at the bar after a game.
7. Catch the latest punk and alternative rock band act at the old 9:30 Club. Get drunk, stoned and have sex after the show.

Booze. Sex. Drugs. Booze. Sex. Drugs. Booze. Sex. Drugs.
You're incredibly naive if you don't think people of the current generation do all of these same things.
You only hear about the weird outlandish stuff like pillow fights precisely because those are outliers.
"20-somethings get drunk, hook up" would never be a headline because it's what always happens and what everybody expects.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:23 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,718,244 times
it'd be a headline in my life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC