Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 01:04 PM

585 posts, read 2,016,593 times

Advertisements

OK, let me preface this by saying I have nothing against food trucks, cupcakes, pillow fights, kickball, costumes or people having fun. I do, however, take issue with grown adults recklessly trashing their town with NERF darts, pies and the busted-up innards of feather pillows just for the sake of fun. The last San Francisco V-Day pillow fight cost taxpayers $5,000 to clean up.

Check this out: Whimsical DC Adults Revert to Childhood

From the article:

[A] Washington group called Spacious is formalizing an entire brigade of hip, breezy activities, for all you stuffed suits there, in the offices. Whipped cream pie fights! Daytime street dancing! And other activities which straddle the delicate line between whimsy and humiliation!
The group hopes to trick out decommissioned ice cream trucks and deploy them to cruise the city offering services such as on-the-spot hairdressing, chefs serving up cookies and milk or "recess teams" that will bring line-dancing flash mobs to downtown sidewalks. They'd be called Spacious mobiles, and you'd able to follow their routes on Twitter.

I'm sorry but this is a large part of why I left San Francisco. It's fun when you're 20 but when you're 30 and holding down a real job, it's a bit silly to be bar crawling with your equally aged friends wearing fairy wings and funny hats.

Cookies and milk? Seriously?! There's nothing "hip" about being a 30 year old needing recess just to be stimulated. And yes, let me go run out and have a whipped cream pie fight during my lunch hour and ruin my tailored suit, that sounds like an awesome idea. How about cookies and White Russians? Maybe that I could get behind.

DC could stand to be loosened up a bit but I think this is a terrible idea and I consider myself a pretty fun-loving person.

Here's the Post profile: Group pushes D.C.’s workaholic adults to play - The Washington Post

And let's just say it takes off... how is it going to look to the Midwesterners reading in the paper about what a great time government workers are having pie fighting and enjoying cookies and milk while the world falls apart?

Good luck with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 02:08 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,890,029 times
So people here constantly complain that people in DC are too high strung and type-a workaholics. Then they complain when people in DC do things that they consider childish and immature. I'd never join a group like the one described in that article but if people are out having fun and enjoying themselves who cares? If they create a mess or break the law, that's different. But a bunch of strangers doing a conga line bothers noone and frankly I'd crack a smile if I saw that.

I say let people have fun even if what they're doing is "childish." Life is too short to go around casting judgement and being critical of everything/everyone (not implying that's how you are, but that is how the usual suspects who will surely add to this thread seem like to me).

Old 04-21-2012, 02:11 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,570,415 times
Im over 50 - my wife insists I drink milk, for the calcium.

I don't think on street pillow fights are a great idea - but I was just biking today, and I love that this is such a bike friendly area, I love that so many people walk. I got no problem with 20somethings going drinking. I like the frozen yogurt shops, and even sometimes a gourmet cupcake.

As someone who is over 50, I see no reason people should be frozen into stereotyped age behaviors. As long as 20 somethings are doing the important responsible things - establishing their careers and preparing to have families (for those who choose to have them) I don't see anything wrong with innocent fun. AFAICT 20somethings here do that, esp the career thing, as seriously as folks elsewhere.

And I rather bet a lot of the folks doing all those things are not govt employees. And why should govt employees not have fun, on their own time, doing things that are perfectly legal and perfectly innocent?

Do folks in the midwest expect govt employees to be on duty 24/7? Do they think cookies and milk are the tool of the devil? If they do, that might explain something about the problems we face as a nation.

The world might be in far better shape if more people played kickball or ate milk and cookies. I am pretty sure it would be in better shape if more people walked and biked.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:32 PM

585 posts, read 2,016,593 times
What I mean from this is that the model has been tried in SF and it often leads to destruction as evidenced by the SF pillow fight.

Nothing is stopping anyone from playing kickball or eating milk and cookies as is, why have an ice cream truck "delivering" it to people who have every right to do that NOW?

Old 04-21-2012, 03:16 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,941,144 times
Same ol story, rich yuppies enjoy their playtime, taxpayers who actually live in the city foot the bill. Not necessarily the same ol story in DC, used to be poor crackheads litter the city, no one cleans it up lol

Old 04-21-2012, 04:22 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,570,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killabunnies View Post
What I mean from this is that the model has been tried in SF and it often leads to destruction as evidenced by the SF pillow fight.

Nothing is stopping anyone from playing kickball or eating milk and cookies as is, why have an ice cream truck "delivering" it to people who have every right to do that NOW?
I guess cause whoever is starting this looks at all the folks following particular food trucks on twitter, and things "If I try something new, maybe I could get rich!" and rolls the dice.

edit - oh looks like its a non profit. Well whatever, its their money. Only public involvement seems to be clean up - maybe they can use biodegradeable pie filling or something?

Old 04-22-2012, 08:39 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,700,146 times
It's all very strange to me. Not to say I wouldn't participate (though probably not if I was 30) but this whole pillow fight, NERF gun war stuff seems like a weird phenomenon.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:35 AM

246 posts, read 589,476 times
I would do it, and I am 35. My husband would too, an he is 40. Most likely we won't for a few years because our daughter is a bit young to participate, but we will stop and watch as we walk by. Things like this make me love living in he city.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:04 PM

361 posts, read 854,765 times
Different strokes... but guess I am just scratching my head in disbelief that there's a market for this. Is this what people want to fill their lives with-- whimsy and the constant search for the childlike "fun." When are these kids going to grow up?

Old 04-22-2012, 12:25 PM

258 posts, read 534,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killabunnies View Post
OK, let me preface this by saying I have nothing against food trucks, cupcakes, pillow fights, kickball, costumes or people having fun. I do, however, take issue with grown adults recklessly trashing their town with NERF darts, pies and the busted-up innards of feather pillows just for the sake of fun. The last San Francisco V-Day pillow fight cost taxpayers $5,000 to clean up.

Check this out: Whimsical DC Adults Revert to Childhood

From the article:

[A] Washington group called Spacious is formalizing an entire brigade of hip, breezy activities, for all you stuffed suits there, in the offices. Whipped cream pie fights! Daytime street dancing! And other activities which straddle the delicate line between whimsy and humiliation!
The group hopes to trick out decommissioned ice cream trucks and deploy them to cruise the city offering services such as on-the-spot hairdressing, chefs serving up cookies and milk or "recess teams" that will bring line-dancing flash mobs to downtown sidewalks. They'd be called Spacious mobiles, and you'd able to follow their routes on Twitter.

I'm sorry but this is a large part of why I left San Francisco. It's fun when you're 20 but when you're 30 and holding down a real job, it's a bit silly to be bar crawling with your equally aged friends wearing fairy wings and funny hats.

Cookies and milk? Seriously?! There's nothing "hip" about being a 30 year old needing recess just to be stimulated. And yes, let me go run out and have a whipped cream pie fight during my lunch hour and ruin my tailored suit, that sounds like an awesome idea. How about cookies and White Russians? Maybe that I could get behind.

DC could stand to be loosened up a bit but I think this is a terrible idea and I consider myself a pretty fun-loving person.

Here's the Post profile: Group pushes D.C.’s workaholic adults to play - The Washington Post

And let's just say it takes off... how is it going to look to the Midwesterners reading in the paper about what a great time government workers are having pie fighting and enjoying cookies and milk while the world falls apart?

Good luck with that.
lol, 5 hour energy drinks aren't hip either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC