Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,401 times

Advertisements

Our situation:
-We need 2 bedrooms and the possibility of parking at least two cars.
-Budget is 2000. We could go over that if we have to, but we'd rather not.
-For my work, I need to be within reasonable driving distance for families with at least a moderate amount of money, and I need to be in a neighborhood that won't freak middle-class/wealthy families out. I should also ideally be in a condo or townhouse. (Free-standing house would be best, but I realize that might be a pipe dream.)
-For my boyfriend's work, he wants to be within walking distance of the metro, and he wants a short (ideally less than 30 minutes) commute to downtown DC by public transportation. He doesn't like driving.

Does this exist? Which neighborhoods/suburbs should we look at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 01:15 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower22 View Post
Our situation:
-We need 2 bedrooms and the possibility of parking at least two cars.
-Budget is 2000. We could go over that if we have to, but we'd rather not.
-For my work, I need to be within reasonable driving distance for families with at least a moderate amount of money, and I need to be in a neighborhood that won't freak middle-class/wealthy families out. I should also ideally be in a condo or townhouse. (Free-standing house would be best, but I realize that might be a pipe dream.)
-For my boyfriend's work, he wants to be within walking distance of the metro, and he wants a short (ideally less than 30 minutes) commute to downtown DC by public transportation. He doesn't like driving.

Does this exist? Which neighborhoods/suburbs should we look at?
SFHs within walking distance of a metro are at a premium around here, esp in the areas thatare close to the potential client base for a business targeting the middle class/wealthy. Even a TH or a nice 2 BR condo won't be that easy to find at that price (and thats including closer in metro stations in NoVa or Maryland, BTW).

Tell your BF he needs to either think about taking a bus to the metro, or biking to the metro, and having a total commute of over 30 minutes. Then we can talk.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:33 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,098 times
Well up until recently I lived in a 2 bedroom apartment on Capitol Hill near the Eastern Market metro for $1800 a month. It would meet all your criteria in terms of proximity to downtown by public transit and a safe neighborhood, and street parking was plentiful so two cars wouldn't be a problem.
However, I feel like my place was much cheaper than most because it was an old building. So it might be hard to find a 2br on the Hill for $2000 or under but don't rule it out.

If the suburbs are what you're after, try posting in the Northern Virginia and Maryland suburbs forums and you will get better help there.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:37 AM

70 posts, read 182,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
Well up until recently I lived in a 2 bedroom apartment on Capitol Hill near the Eastern Market metro for $1800 a month. It would meet all your criteria in terms of proximity to downtown by public transit and a safe neighborhood, and street parking was plentiful so two cars wouldn't be a problem.
However, I feel like my place was much cheaper than most because it was an old building. So it might be hard to find a 2br on the Hill for $2000 or under but don't rule it out.

If the suburbs are what you're after, try posting in the Northern Virginia and Maryland suburbs forums and you will get better help there.
$1800 for a 2 bedroom at Eastern Market is definitely a steal!

Old 04-25-2012, 08:13 AM

607 posts, read 1,216,759 times
I agree with the above, you might want to try posting on the Maryland and No Virginia subforums. I live Arlington and I think you can find what you're looking for here - two bdrm condo in a nice middle class neighborhood walking distance from metro - but you'll most likely get 1 parking space or just street parking. I don't think finding reserved parking for 2 cars in your budget is feasible in this area.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:23 AM
yrb

91 posts, read 220,309 times
"2 bedrooms" AND "within walking distance of the metro" AND "at least two cars" AND "Budget is 2000" = Doesn't compute.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:18 PM

246 posts, read 589,022 times
Why do you need so much parking? That is ridiculous around here.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:52 PM

18 posts, read 36,041 times
Try Forrest Glen.

Mostly SFH's with decent sized lots, driveways, etc. The houses are pretty nice and rent for between $2000-2500. There is a Metro station and easy access to the Beltway, I-95 and downtown corridors.

It's sandwiched between a very afluent Silver Spring neighborhood and a not so great Wheaton neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC