Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 06:25 PM

13 posts, read 24,169 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to take some precaution as a lone female. I have to go to the DC Housing Office on 1800 Martin Luther King Jr Ave in SE (off of the Anacostia stop on the green line) during the day and was wondering if it was safe to walk the 0.8 mile distance from the Anacostia station to the housing office. On Google Street View, it looked like there were quite a few abandoned buildings.

(I dont mean to offend anyone who may live in the area. I have just never been there and have been warned that it's not safe to walk around there -- but...I have to, on some personal business with the DC govt).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 08:06 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,089,522 times
I wouldn't fret it during the middle of the day. That area is changing. Walk like you know what you are doing and don't look like a lost tourist, but that applies in most parts of the city as well.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:54 PM

585 posts, read 2,016,336 times
You'll be fine at that hour. And you can trust me because I'm one of those people who lives in the area and happen to be a "lone female" myself and white at that - ZOMG, blows your mind, right!!

Actually last I drove down MLK I noticed they were really hard at work polishing that area up, some of it is really looking up.

I'd leave the iPod in your bag and just be aware of what's going on around you (as PenguinSix said, that's the case anywhere in this town) but I'm sure you will be totally fine. The worst thing you will have to deal with is losers trying to hit on you, but again, that's anywhere really.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:38 AM

Thank you both for your thoughts. Will definitely try not to flash around my ipod and walk around with it plugged into my ears. Feel much better now about going there. Whew!

Old 05-02-2012, 09:02 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,409,669 times
take a cab if you're scurred.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:28 AM

220 posts, read 548,367 times
Have been to that area (also a white female) during the day and was fine. The people on the streets were just going about their business, not staring at me or interested in me.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:14 PM

Thanks everyone. Just reporting back. I ended up taking the 90 bus from Eastern Market down to Good Hope Rd and MLK Ave. Was totally fine until I was done with my business and waiting for the bus on Good Hope Rd and 13th St. Some guy approached me, then proceeded to corner me. I talked to him calmly for about 15 minutes, during which time, a teenager (roughly 13?) came to the bus stop, sat down at the bench, saw him cornering me, then proceeded to FLEE from the bus stop like he knew something bad was about to happen.

The bus finally came and I hopped on to get away from this guy.

Creepiest/scariest part of the experience, Him licking his lips, looking me up and down, then saying "you got nice teeth".

And just as a disclaimer, I do know how to hold myself in the hood -- I used to live in an area of Brooklyn NY where a permanent police SWAT team was stationed near the intersection where I lived. Even then I didnt feel as threatened as I just was today, because the guys in that neighborhood would hollar at me but NEVER physically force me into a corner.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:19 PM

Just wanted to clarify, Im not trying to instigate. Im just reporting back on what I have experienced. I think it's true that this type of situation could randomly occur in any neighborhood, but my impression is that the odds is much higher in Anacostia than other areas of DC that I've been to, or even hoody areas in NY.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:13 AM

Location: YOU are NOT a Washingtonian. YOU are a GENTRIFIER from the CVS, Whole Foods, Starbucks & Condos era.
367 posts, read 642,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enkie View Post
Thanks everyone. Just reporting back. I ended up taking the 90 bus from Eastern Market down to Good Hope Rd and MLK Ave. Was totally fine until I was done with my business and waiting for the bus on Good Hope Rd and 13th St. Some guy approached me, then proceeded to corner me. I talked to him calmly for about 15 minutes, during which time, a teenager (roughly 13?) came to the bus stop, sat down at the bench, saw him cornering me, then proceeded to FLEE from the bus stop like he knew something bad was about to happen.

The bus finally came and I hopped on to get away from this guy.

Creepiest/scariest part of the experience, Him licking his lips, looking me up and down, then saying "you got nice teeth".

And just as a disclaimer, I do know how to hold myself in the hood -- I used to live in an area of Brooklyn NY where a permanent police SWAT team was stationed near the intersection where I lived. Even then I didnt feel as threatened as I just was today, because the guys in that neighborhood would hollar at me but NEVER physically force me into a corner.
Did you say BROOKLYN?????

Do you consider your "hood" experiences in gentrified Brooklyn as being a badge of honor?

You so URBAN.

Like Yah!

Old 05-15-2012, 11:20 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,568,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLETS View Post
Did you say BROOKLYN?????

Do you consider your "hood" experiences in gentrified Brooklyn as being a badge of honor?

You so URBAN.

Like Yah!
yeah, cause like every single corner in Brooklyn is nothing but latte bars and frozen yogurt shops. Even the hasidic areas are wall to wall kosher latte bars and kosher frozen yogurt shops. Dude, you know NYC SO well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC