Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2012, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,499 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are planning to move to Washington DC in this summer for 2 to 3 years. I have two kids of age 7 and 9. My husband 's office is closer to White House. Can you suggest that in which are we should look for a house which is closer to the office, has good schools, metro and markets area accessible and is economical too. my rent range is 600 to 1000US$.
I hope that you will guide me well.

Thanks,
Azaanayla
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 04:40 PM

585 posts, read 2,017,287 times
Sorry, doesn't exist.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:25 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,581,082 times
Azaanayla, if you look up any rentals in the DC area you will see that your budget for rent is utterly, insanely unrealistically low. Even most ONE BEDROOM APARTMENTS rent for AT LEAST $1,000 a month, and usually much higher. To ask for a "house" that is UNDER $1,000 is not going to happen. If you want anything with more than 2 bedrooms in a safe neighborhood within a one hour commute to the White House, you will need to at least TRIPLE your rent range.
Also, when you say "house," do you mean a detached single family house? Because most renters do not live in those kinds of homes in this area unless they are in the very far out suburbs. Most renters live in apartments and townhouses in this area.
Why don't you say how many bedrooms you need and how long your husband is willing to commute for so we can determine a realistic budget?
Also, I am guessing you will need good public schools. If so, it is generally accepted that the schools in Maryland and Virginia are much better than those in DC, which are seen as lacking to put it mildly.

Last edited by stateofnature; 05-08-2012 at 06:40 PM..

Old 05-08-2012, 06:12 PM

6,848 posts, read 8,007,627 times
I live in a neighborhood of detatched single family home 3 miles north of the White House. Rents in my neighborhood if you can find one go for about $5000 per month.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:50 PM

2,505 posts, read 3,553,795 times
That's a reasonable price range for a spacious family suite by the White House -- per night, in a hotel.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:59 AM

66 posts, read 173,492 times
Hi Azaanayla. Judging from the language in your post, you are not from around here. As others have pointed out, your budget is wildly unrealistic for the DC area. Congrats on your husband's new position- in preparation for your move I would recommend doing more research on DC. Reading the Washington Post on a daily basis, with a focus on the real estate section, may be a good place to start. Many people that move here, often from other countries, must adjust to spending a much larger portion of their income on housing than they are accustomed. It is not unusual to find people spending half of their take-home income on rent. You may also have to compromise and live in an apartment rather than a house. Other costs of living are expensive, too (groceries, having a car, etc.).

Also, look into public transportation options. Lots of people work near the White House, but that doesn't mean they need to live close to it. DC has a wide range of commuter options and it may give your family more flexibility in housing options. Good luck.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:38 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,091,642 times
As others have noted, your budget is considerably low for the DC metropolitan area. Even at double your housing budget, you'd still be low for areas like Dunkirk, MD, which is a safe area in Calvert County with very good schools, but is 45-60 minutes away from DC by commuter bus.

Homes for Rent in Dunkirk, MD | Homes.com

As you are probably realizing, the DC area is one of the more expensive areas to live in the United States, and when you factor in 'good schools', 'metro access' and 'nearby to markets' you are going to be well OVER the average prices, which are already more than you are budgeting for, as many are looking for those same criteria.

I'd suggest doing some more research on the cost of living in DC. If your housing budget is this low it raises the concern that your overall salary for a position in DC might also be significantly low, so much so that a position elsewhere might be more worthwhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: