Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 06:48 PM

51 posts, read 124,158 times

Advertisements

plenty of recent grads move to DC and live off of $40k or less for a couple of years. There's a ton of talent in DC, so it's hard to get a decent paying job here straight out of school. You may have to scrimp on things at times (though this may depend on your rent and the standard of living you're used to), but its definately doable, and can very well lead to better opportunities down the road.

I did it on under $30k a year 3 years ago, so I know it can be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 08:11 AM

161 posts, read 395,351 times
40k is definitely on the low side. Depends on your lifestyle and spending habits though. If you go out a lot to bars, etc then you really won't save much (if anything).

I try to save a lot more than other people do so that kind of salary would make me wary, but if it's the best option right now go for it. Also keep in mind that there are a lot of jobs in DC, so if the position isn't so great you can always look for something better. There are a lot of opportunities to be had... just have to keep your eyes open.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:19 PM

66 posts, read 173,447 times
Wow- I'm surprised to hear several people say that $40K would barely cut it. That's great for us recent grads! I make just a hair over that and my husband makes significantly less, and we have a brand new car, are buying our first home, and still manage to save almost half of my take-home pay. If you get a roommate you could live pretty much anywhere you wanted on that budget and still have enough to party every weekend and eat out whenever you like. I know because I have done it, before I was married, and I was only making $38K then.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:35 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,259,947 times
I moved here on 35k a year. I had a roomate and my parents paid off my car note. I did have very little student loan debt like about $70 a month, so my money wasn't tied up paying a lot of bills. At one point I rented a room in a very, very nice townhouse in Upper Marlboro and paid about $700 a month and it included all utilities. I found my roomate on roomates.com.

$40k is a good starting salary for an entry level grad. A lot jobs will try and pay you a lot less so unless you have a better offer I would definitely take it.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:37 PM

29 posts, read 98,042 times
DC wouldn't be a young city if people couldn't live there with such salaries. Just don't be an idiot with your money.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:56 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,535,990 times
If you are making that little its better to live in a cheaper and more fun city and be broke.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:28 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,768,131 times
40k, definitely. Roommates + bike + no eating out ALL time.

Debt like student and car loans and credit card debt will make it tough. But I was making 41k a few years ago and still saving between $500 and $1000/month.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:40 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,921,306 times
Don't listen to all the hype saying that you have to be making 60k+ here. I moved here in October with no job (I did have savings) and didn't immediately go broke. If you're concerned:
First of all, you gotta get out of the mindset that the thing to do is get a studio in a close-in neighborhood. That's for someone making a bit more $, unless you're OK with no savings. Take a look at some group homes out in the suburbs on Craigslist. I moved here into a house close to Metro with a rent of $400. I did manage to get a job in December (paying 45k) and living here I can save about $1,000 a month and still eat out a lot, and go out on the town once a week or so.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:18 AM

404 posts, read 1,148,614 times
40k for a recent grad is good in ANY city. If you're standards are, owning a house, bmw/audi coupe, stopping by starbucks every morning/hitting up happy hour every night, and buying bottle service at clubs on the weekend, then 40k wont cut it.

You can live comfortably in DC on 40k with roommates. I know many young professionals that earn around 40k who can afford to eat out, go to happy hours, and live comfortably within reason.

Like the poster above said, you can also save alot by living in the suburbs in NoVA or MD. Many apartment complexes in NoVA have free shuttles to take you to the closest metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC