Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 03:32 PM

15,446 posts, read 25,881,128 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping the Caps can get to the finals so I can get tickets. The last time they were there I missed out because of a ticket screw up by Ticketmaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 08:02 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,889,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I'm hoping the Caps can get to the finals so I can get tickets. The last time they were there I missed out because of a ticket screw up by Ticketmaster.
Ticketmaster blows.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:25 PM

720 posts, read 1,557,046 times
Quote:
You're one game closer to getting that wish!!!

Old 05-09-2012, 11:13 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,093,708 times
Take it down a notch to say the college level, and then look at towns and areas where college hockey is rather important, say Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc. Those are places where there is not only interest in the NHL but college, semi-pro, clubs and high school teams. There are multiple rinks around the towns and even a smaller town with say 150,000 people would have a couple of rinks and pond hockey games.

DC is not like that. You're not going to get that 24/7 exposure and interest in hockey in DC that you have like in some of those other places. Sure there are folks who follow Navy hockey, or goto the Crabpot tourney, or watch the various youth sides (that have some kids who will make it to the next level) but I wouldn't say it's as all-encompassing as it is in those other parts of the country.

Still, you'll find hockey fans here, and as others have said, plenty of transplants who show up in Flyers or Penguins uniforms whenever they can.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:49 AM

460 posts, read 1,019,390 times
Quote:
Try stubhub next time.. I've had good experience with them.

They just gotta do the dang thing Saturday!! Is it bad I invited my in-laws over to cook for them for mothers day.... and now I want to move the dinner up? haha.. They don't like hockey... but... Saturday looks like I'm going to get them into it.

"Sorry mother in-law, for our first mothers day celebration together.. I'm going to force you to watch something you don't enjoy at all... love... daughter in law of your ONLY son"

haha

Old 05-11-2012, 01:14 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,259,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasershen111 View Post
Try stubhub next time.. I've had good experience with them.

They just gotta do the dang thing Saturday!! Is it bad I invited my in-laws over to cook for them for mothers day.... and now I want to move the dinner up? haha.. They don't like hockey... but... Saturday looks like I'm going to get them into it.

"Sorry mother in-law, for our first mothers day celebration together.. I'm going to force you to watch something you don't enjoy at all... love... daughter in law of your ONLY son"

haha
I'm missing the Rob Zombie/Megadeath for mother's day. I guess we all have to make sacrifices. First mother's day with mom-in-law. Oh brother good luck!

Old 05-11-2012, 01:58 PM

460 posts, read 1,019,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I'm missing the Rob Zombie/Megadeath for mother's day. I guess we all have to make sacrifices. First mother's day with mom-in-law. Oh brother good luck!
Sacrifices... make the world go round. haha

Thanks!

Old 05-13-2012, 09:02 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,185,868 times
A hockey town where the Heimlich Manuever is good to have, since the Caps usually end up choking? Wait until next year!

Old 05-23-2012, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 970 times
Default Washington DC as hockey town

The DC Metro area's interest in hockey has continued to grow over the past 10 years and has really exploded in the Caps' "Ovi" era.

The Capitals are considered in most circles the 2nd pro team followed (behind Redskins).....and of course, their recent "success" is the main factor there.

At the youth level, it's not a "hotbed" from a national standpoint, but it's improving.

There are about 8 ice rinks with youth hockey programs within 25 miles of the Beltway. The biggest is Montgomery in suburban MD. As an example, they're going to field 4 separate "Mite" travel teams this coming fall.
Most of these programs support Tier II travel clubs and there are also 2 Tier I programs locally as well.

These 3 Clubs are probably considered the most competitive:
Montgomery Blue Devils
Ashburn Xtreme
Reston Raiders

All area ice rinks' youth participation has exploded recently. There are stories of some rinks/programs selling out inside 90 min.

At the High School level, there are about a dozen and a half public schools with Varsity programs. Probably a dozen more private schools. Travel/Club hockey dominates though, and the players' HS season is supplemental.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:33 AM

866 posts, read 2,632,803 times
The Caps have a modest following, but DC is definitely not a hockey town. I worked in DC for a few years, and no one in the workplace talked about hockey. I would only see Caps gear and t-shirts on game days on the metro. The bars and restaurants near the Verizon Center would be filled with Caps fans, but in general, the area wasn't that big into hockey.

I live in Boston now and the Bruins are everywhere. Hockey is huge here; it's talked about in the workplace, and I see people in Bruins gear all the time. It actually seems that I see more people wearing Bruins stuff than I do Red Sox, Patriots, or Celtics stuff. I did not expect that. The other sports are still big here, but hockey seems to be a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: