Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 07:58 AM

156 posts, read 335,453 times

Advertisements

Simple Question...

Husband has a felony from 7 yrs ago. Drug Related. He has changed and improved and now is in IT Helpdesk Support.

Will he be able to find work in and around DC area?
Will he be able to get a clearance?
Should we avoid DC at all cost since he does have a felony?

Please be brutally honest.
Thanks in advance for all input.

One.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 08:01 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,714,913 times
Security Clearance will be hard. Working in IT with a felony will be a little difficult due the nature that a lot of IT work in the city is Govt related.

However, he still has a chance of finding employment in the private sector or D.C. Government. D.C. Government is a little lenient with ex-cons.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
Security Clearance will be hard. Working in IT with a felony will be a little difficult due the nature that a lot of IT work in the city is Govt related.

However, he still has a chance of finding employment in the private sector or D.C. Government. D.C. Government is a little lenient with ex-cons.
excuse my ignorance but what is private sector.

also he is not an ex con just has a felony.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:34 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
Private sector is simply anything non-governmental. Working for Accenture? Private sector. Working for, idk, the NSA? Public sector.

Security clearances can be very hard to get with a felony. They don't disqualify you but they'll disadvantage you.

e: What do you mean he's not an ex-con? Was he ever convicted of a crime?

Old 03-28-2011, 09:55 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Can a Felon get a job in DC ?

Ask Marion Barry.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:10 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,714,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishing1 View Post
excuse my ignorance but what is private sector.

also he is not an ex con just has a felony.
Not trying to being an ahole here, but is that the same thing. Just means that he was convicted of something but has served his sentence and is no longer in trouble?

Old 03-28-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
Not trying to being an ahole here, but is that the same thing. Just means that he was convicted of something but has served his sentence and is no longer in trouble?
ex-con = someone who has been in prison.
felon = someone with a felony but didn't have to be in prison.

He didn't serve any jail time, so most people wouldn't consider him an ex-convict. Just a felon.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:51 AM

@ HurricanDC
Ex-Con/convict means someone who has served time
Convicted Felon means someone who is convicted of felon but no time.

LOL @ Moth

Old 03-28-2011, 10:55 AM

720 posts, read 1,554,308 times
He can definitely find some IT work in the DC area. Like someone else mentioned, he'd most likely have better luck in non-government jobs. He may be able to get a clearance but probably only a low level one like public trust / naci, which is enough for several federal IT jobs. The higher level ones will be a lot more difficult, but it never hurts to try. The key is to be as honest as possible in the questions they ask him and to not hide (or "forget") anything.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:03 PM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,865,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishing1 View Post
Simple Question...

Husband has a felony from 7 yrs ago. Drug Related. He has changed and improved and now is in IT Helpdesk Support.

Will he be able to find work in and around DC area?
Will he be able to get a clearance?
Should we avoid DC at all cost since he does have a felony?

Please be brutally honest.
Thanks in advance for all input.

One.
i hired an ex-felon 5 years ago. one of the best employees i ever had! he has now gone on to work for the federal government directly instead of the contract work he was doing for me.
what i look at is the nature of the offense, the time since the offense occurred, and the steps that person has taken to improve their situation. this particular guy had a felony at 18 (theft under 500...which is now technically a misdemeanor), he was 29 i believe when he started working for me so it had been 11 years since his conviction, he also graduated from college and had a masters degree since that conviction. he got cleared for a Secret clearance. i know that adjudication officers in the feds generally look at things the same way. if he's in IT, and has no other stuff on his record and has gone on to do well, he will get cleared. the main thing that he MUST do is be 100% honest! i cannot stress this enough. an old 1 time felony won't disqualify you, lying about it and trying to cover it up will.

now if he was a murderer, rapist, or kid toucher or something like that i definitely would have passed on him regardless of his accomplishments. some things i just personally can't look past. just being honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC